vCash

[video translation] Interview after NHK with Mao, Dai, Nobu and Akiko.

It's a bit late but this video is so adorable and I could not resist to translate it. I wonder if it deserves to start a thread just for sharing fun. Maybe it's OK. This LIVE interview was aired by NHK just after(before?) the banquet of NHK Trophy. I recognize they were in the same dress/suit when they participated in the banquet. Love, love, love Nobu and his baby son in the beginning of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkGvEbOTEo

Male MC: Actually Asada-san participated in the wedding ceremony of Oda-san. So you've seen him since around his marriage. Are there anything changed, thinking about before and after the marriage?
    Mao: eh? (surprised at the unexpected question and looking back at Nobu's face)
    All: (the question and mao in surprise must look funny to them)
    Dai and Nobu: If there isn't any, it's OK to say "nothing".(in Osaka accent)
    Mao: He's been amusing at any time.
    MMC: He hasn't changed and he's been always amusing. OK. Is he trying to express something as a father of his children? ---must be nothing.
    All:
    MMC: Actually it must be. You've been together with him so you don't notice the big difference(in the daily life).
    Mao: We've been together, participated in the same competitions since we were juniors and etc. So my impression is rather like "Oh, you really got to be a dad!?".
    MMC: Oh, yeah. So you get fresh surprising impression when you see the video clip of his family like this.

Female MC: For Asada-san we have a present since you won NHK Trophy.
    Mao: Chestnuts!
    FMC: We heard Asada-san loves back-ordering recently. Especially we heard you are addicted in chestnut-sweets on backorder. Today we have many chestnut sweets from all over the country. Please try a pie. A whole chestnut is in each of them.
    Mao: Tasty.
    MMC: Do you like chestnuts or sweets?
    Mao: Both of them.
    MMC: Do you usually have them?
    Mao: Yes. Also I had them during this competition.
    MMC: During this competition?
    Mao: Yes. I had kinton. A present (from someone).
    MMC: Did it give you power?
    Mao: Yes.
    MMC: Have you ever had them as a reword for your own hard work?
    Mao: Yes. Having sweets is useful to recover from your fatigue as well. I don't say I never have them. From time to time I have them.
    FMC: Do you see Mao tasting sweets, Suzuki-san?
    Akiko: Yes. We usually talk about food, we share information, like "this was tasty, and that was aslo tasty".
    FMC: Please try other chestnut sweets, later.
    Mao: Thank you.

FMC: Now let's talk about 3As. You did 3As in both of your short and long programs. How are youd doing with 3As at this point?
    Mao: Comparing to the same stage of Vancouver season, I'm doing far better with my 3As in the practices. I feel I'm getting very close to the clean ones in the competitions. So it was a shame (that I didn't nail clean ones at NHK). Keeping cool, I want them to lead me to the clean ones in the next competition.
    FMC: So your work on 3As is being accomplished?
    Mao: Yes.
    MMC: And you got new personal best. (to Nobu)I heard Oda-san saw her performance at the rink. What did you feel actually?
    Nobu: Absolutely stunning. 3A of course. And also footwork in the end.
    Nobu, Mao and Dai: Bwahahaha
    FMC: You imitate (the choreographic movement in Mao's footwork). Supposedly you have difficulties to do it where you are now.
    Nobu: Yes. hahahaha I cannot jump here.
    MMC: So you can do it where Takahashi-san is.
    Nobu: Oh, no. Not this time.
    All:
    MMC: I heard you two(Nobu and Dai) are addicted to imitating it.
    Nobu: Yes. During the practice for the exhibition, because I love (her program), we imitated the choreos, askted her "how do you like it?", and we saw she was angry.
    Mao and Nobu: Bwahahaha
    ***they were addicted to imitating this choreographic jump. ***
    FMC: I heard you want to do two 3As in your long program. As a fan, can I expect you'll do them? I do want to see them.
    Mao: I've been in very good shape. I want to challenge them. Me also want to expect those two 3As in the long program.

MMC: Now please look at these. This is the costume of Asada's long program. These are the Olympic gold medalists from Nagano in 1998. All of them were in blueish costumes. Do you have any reason you were in blue costume at NHK?
    Mao: I've known that blue costume jinx for a long time. However, it's not me to decide the costume, it's Tatiana. She also choreographed the program. I was in another blue costume at the beginning of this season. This is the costume I wore just once in Vancouver season. It just happened.
    ***Reportedly the former one was heavy and non-strechable. So she wanted to change it.***
    MMC: You received your new personal best. So it can be your lucky costume.
    Mao: Yes, I'd like to see it positively.

...to be continued(the second half is mainly about Dai)
    Last edited by rosewood; 11-25-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: fixed the link to "kinton"

vCash
    Thank you Rosewood!

vCash
    Thanks for the translation rosewood

vCash
    the second half

6:10
    Female MC: Sorry to keep you waiting so long, Takahashi. You placed unexpectedly 4th at Skate America. You said you wanted to recover your confidence at NHK Trophy. How was it actually? Could you recover your confidence?
    Dai: A bit. I showed unsatisfactory performances at Japan Open and also Skate America. I discussed with the people around me such as Nikolai, Nagamitsu and other members in my team(after Skate America). Their words revived me. I could rediscover my deep side of my mind. And I pumped it up preparing for NHK Trophy. I think I got a bit good response from the result at NHK. Maybe I'm recovering my confidence in my jumps little by little.
    Male MC: You nailed two of three quads you tried. What's the difference?
    Dai: I don't know. But I focused on my training without thinking too much. Maybe the biggest key was the mental issues. I had been going without digging deeper inside of my mind till then. I re-set up a clear goal. It's a bit late (in the season) but I made up my mind to focus on Olympics.
    MMC: Were you inspired by Morozov's words after Skate America?
    Dai: Yes. I was revived by them.
    MMC: What did he say?
    Dai: Something what I didn't want to hear. hehehe
    MMC: Something harsh?
    Dai: Harsh...or hmm ..yeah....
    MMC: But after the short program Morozov hugged...
    Dai: hahaha
    FMC: He dropped large tears.
    Dai: I just didn't realize why he cried. I was just like eh, what happened? I myself was thinking that I had things to do on the next day(so it was not time to be emotional). I was a bit surprised.
    FMC: Did he say something to you after your short program? The reasons why he dropped tears?
    Dai: I don't remember. I said "tomorrow, tomorrow"(to him).
    FMC: hahaha
    MMC: Recalling the scene, can you tell us why he cried?
    Dai: Maybe he had got some reputation. We hadn't got good result by working together till then. Supposedly he was told something (unhappy) and also he had some thoughts. I presume he himself had struggled. However, it was still the process, the start.

MMC: Now we want to ask all of you. You got the (good) result (at NHK) and are really aiming at getting the Olympic spots. Tell us your thoughts about coming Olympics. Takahashi-san, you go first.
    Takahashi: Me? I rediscoverd that I wanted the Olympic gold medal. Till then I was just thinking about appearing at Vancou...no, no.. Sochi Olympics. But I re-set up my goal to get the medal. So I'll do my best aiming at it.
    MMC: Appearing at Olympics is not enough.
    Dai: Right.
    FMC: How about you, Asada?
    Mao: I failed in giving my satisfactory performance at Vancouver. That was a regretful experience. I want to make a Sochi Olympic team and clear away the regrets. I'll try my best to show the performances of my life at Sochi.
    MMC: I heard the reputation that you still have something you can improve(, so do your best). Good luck.
    Mao: Yep.
    MMC: How about you Oda-san.
    Nobu: I also had a regretful experience at Vancouver Olympics. I think that Sochi is the only stage where I can clear away regrets. So I want to make an Olympic team and come back with a smile this time.
    MMC: You might want to show your good performances to your children.
    Nobu: oh, yes.
    FMC: How about you Suzuki.
    Akiko: I participated in Vancouver Olympics, too. I had no idea then and I was just happy to participate in the Olympics. However, I've progressed in this quad and showing my improvements at Sochi Olympics is my goal at this point. So I'll do my best aiming at my goal.
    FMC: Please show us your 'Akiko world'.
    MMC: Thank you very much.
    All: Arigato gozaimashita.(Thank you very much.)

(End)

****Sorry to have kept you waiting for the second half. Also sorry for my very rough translatins. Hopefully you got the main idea of the interview and enjoyed it.

vCash
    Thank you for the translation! I think I love team Japan the most. I thought it was hilarious that Oda and Suzuki were sitting next to each other. He's such a goofball and she looks so classy and regal.

vCash
    Thank you so much, rosewood!

I so want Nobu to make the Olympic team!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    ^I'm glad you found this thread, skateboy. My uber heart makes my fingers crossed for Nobu. I love Machida's artistry and especially both of his programs. But Machida still has another chance to be sent to Korean Olympics. So I badly want Nobu to make a Sochi team. Go for it Odaddy!
    Last edited by rosewood; 11-26-2013 at 11:15 AM.

vCash
    Thank you rosewood!!! I was looking for a translation of this interview for a long time, and now I've found it! I love the Japanese team members, they're all so funny and treat each other well! Sending them best wishes in the competitions to come!