Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was a horrifying climax.
    Hee!!

Don't most novels in the genre always seem to have one "horrifying climax" after another?
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    In If There Be Thorns, John Amos (who was the butler at Foxworth Hall back in the day for the Grandmother and Gransfather and who was also a distant cousin of Olivia (the Grandmother), was in charge of taking care of Corrine, after she left the Insane Asylum following that horrifying climas horrifying in Petals in the Wind), and he was the one who made it possible for he and Corrine to move next door to their family in ITBT. When all the secrets were revealed, Cathy and Corrine got into a knock-down drag-out fight in that mansion, at which time John set fire to it. Corrine saved her daughter before succumbing to smoke inhalation and dying.

When Corrine's will was read, the Original Foxworth Hall, and its entire estate, was left to Cathy and Chris, her only two surviving children, and IIRC, to Bart Winslow, Jr. (Cathy's son by way of Corrine's second husband), and to Jory (Cathy's first husband, who was a retired Primiere Male Danseur in the Ballet World (prior to the accident that left him a paraplegic), with Bart, Jr. being appointed the Executor of the Estate.

Hell, we haven't even gotten to discussing Seed of Yesterday, which has the clichéd ret-con of one of Corrine's older brothers who died in a horrifying skiing accident in in his early 20s in Switzerland, only to be found very much alive by Bart Jr., as brought back by him and given the position Butler for the Foxworth Hall and [sytolr]Bart's right hand man[/strike]?
    Your memory for these books - and the level of detail - is amazing. I forgot just about everything from SOY except Bart sticking his hand in a tree and contracting lockjaw.

Man, these books will never find their way into a literary canon, but it sure beat the Sweet Valley High gang at the time! The Wakefield twins never had any horrifying climaxes.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if this movie is as campy as the books, it will deserve a PBP thread
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    if this movie is as campy as the books, it will deserve a PBP thread
    Oh hells yes!! If we can get one organized, count me in!!
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I still refuse to eat a powdered-sugar covered donut.

V.C. Andrews and Harold Robbins were The Scandalous Books during the year year that I ran my town's tiny branch library. I was instructed that I should NEVER, EVER check those books out to anyone under the age of 18. The one time I refused to let a Junior high school girl check out FITA, she and her friend took the book to a table in the back corner and read it there every day after after school. The girl's mother came in later and told me how happy she was that her daughter was spending so much in the library.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Oh hells yes!! If we can get one organized, count me in!!

Me too! This could be an epic pbp. But of course Lifetime will screw us and air it at different times on different coasts.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Are you worried you will be spoiled? Just assume there will be a horrifying climax.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Are you worried you will be spoiled? Just assume there will be a horrifying climax.
    Yes, of course. I am just worried that it will air at different times and we will not be able to have a coast-to-coast pbp.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Everyone who wants to do PBP could DVR it and arrange a time to watch it together. My FB friend and I do our snarks that way sometimes.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That's a thought.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I am all for a snark party.

vCash
    The snarkers should drink every time "flaxen hair" or "cornflower blue eyes" are mentioned in the movie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Your memory for these books - and the level of detail - is amazing. I forgot just about everything from SOY except Bart sticking his hand in a tree and contracting lockjaw.

Man, these books will never find their way into a literary canon, but it sure beat the Sweet Valley High gang at the time! The Wakefield twins never had any horrifying climaxes.
    I remember Sweet Valley High had plenty of kidnappings, attempted murder, near date rapes by Bruce Patman, and one girl died of a cocaine overdose. It was just way less twisted than V.C. Andrews. Are there still new V.C. Andrews books coming out?? I had to stop reading after awhile because it was just the same plots recycled over and over again. Although there was one creeper in there with a boy and girl twins, and the boy died. The mom liked the boy better so then she forced the girl to pretend she was the boy and that the girl was the one that died. My other favorite author was Christopher Pike and he had some crazy books with people being murdered. I wonder if my parents had any idea what I was reading at the time ...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    The snarkers should drink every time "flaxen hair" or "cornflower blue eyes" are mentioned in the movie
    dresden dolls = shots!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oooh this is going to be fun.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Are you sure it was :"cornflower blue?" I could have sworn the adjective used to describe their eye color was "cerulean," but I could definitely be wrong on that one. I also remember someone (Chris?) who described their hair color and texture as "damp corn silk."

Dammit, I'm going to have to venture out of my cocoon and brave going to the library or, *gulp* god forbid, the mall, and scoop up the entire Dollanganger Series and spend this weekend going though them with a highlighter.

I'm one of those old-school farts that refuses to get with the new trends and buy a Kindle or any of those newfangled gadgets. One of the things I love about reading is the feel of the pages as my fingertips caress them, how a book smells (especially older books - it's as though there are generations of knowledge and experience than have been absorbed into the pages), as well as the feeling I get when I'm holding a book -- it becomes something both personable and tangible.

Screw all those "new and improved" electronic reading devices -- none of them wil ever be able to replicate that feeling and the joyous satisfaction I get when I leave the library (or a vintage book store) with a pile of books that I'm giddy about diving into over the next couple of weeks.

//...And get offa my lawn!!!

vCash
    It's "cerulean blue." And don't forget "perfect in every way."

I'm with you, Cyn. I have the Kindle app on my phone. I actually survived reading Vanity Fair on it but at one point I was browsing in B&N and hunted down a copy to see exactly where in the book I was (about halfway). Not to mention digital books don't add to my apartment's decor at all!
    Last edited by Karina1974; 11-26-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I'm one of those old-school farts that refuses to get with the new trends and buy a Kindle or any of those newfangled gadgets. One of the things I love about reading is the feel of the pages as my fingertips caress them, how a book smells (especially older books - it's as though there are generations of knowledge and experience than have been absorbed into the pages), as well as the feeling I get when I'm holding a book -- it becomes something both personable and tangible.

Screw all those "new and improved" electronic reading devices -- none of them wil ever be able to replicate that feeling and the joyous satisfaction I get when I leave the library (or a vintage book store) with a pile of books that I'm giddy about diving into over the next couple of weeks.

Over at the book thread, they call us Luddites.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Are you sure it was :"cornflower blue?" I could have sworn the adjective used to describe their eye color was "cerulean," but I could definitely be wrong on that one. I also remember someone (Chris?) who described their hair color and texture as "damp corn silk."

Dammit, I'm going to have to venture out of my cocoon and brave going to the library or, *gulp* god forbid, the mall, and scoop up the entire Dollanganger Series and spend this weekend going though them with a highlighter.

I just get tired at the thought of one more device to charge, update software, and figure out who or what it is compatible with. I love my smart phone, but that's enough.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I love the feel and smell of a "real" book as well; but have to admit, my kindle is handy to take multiple books (for pleasure and textbooks) to work with me for downtime.

(and damn you all, I may have just downloaded the entire Dollanganger saga!)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast