Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Are you kidding? A Facebook friend and I are already planning an EPIC snarking session. Previous snarkfests of ours have included Ripper Street and Mr. Selfridge, but THIS one . . . this will be the One Snark to Rule Them All.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I couldn't get enough of this book and v.c. andrewsw. It was intriguing to me when I was young and had to read the whole series. I then read more of her books and each was as incestous or nasty as the next. I don't know what my present self would think of them but i still have them so maybe i'll take a little look see and see if they stand the test of time. I know for a fact my mother had no clue what they were about, thank goodness, she was too busy reading her own trashy novels.

the movie was awful, just awful, but I think i'll probably tune it to see what this one's like.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You know what? I am going to be watching because this is such a guilty pleasure. I hope you all will watch too and we could even have a pbp.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Ok so one thing I have noticed so far is in the trailer, Cory does not have curly hair, or at least he does not look like he does. FAIL already.

I really hope they stick to the book- like in the first movie, the grandmother cut Cathy's hair, but in the book she put tar in it. And didn't they leave out the whole scene where Chris and Cathy are watching the Christmas party? Not to mention, the ending was NOT the ending of the book. Also-this may be hard to do but in the first movie the children all seemed the same age-like there was no "growth". I hope in this movie, you can tell Cathy goes from a naive 12 year old with a normal brother/sister relationship to a jaded 15 year old, wiser beyond her years, in love with her brother LOL. Not sure that would be able to be captured in a movie (and Lifetime at that) but it is a significant part of the story to show that what the mother did to them went beyond keeping them locked in a bedroom for 3 years. She totally psychologically screwed with their brains. I think that was missed the first time around. I have thought way too much about this haha.

vCash
    Also...I have always wondered if Flowers In The Attic was based on a true story...the fact that VC Andrews dedicated the book to her mother always made me wonder that LOL. Sometimes I think the story is wayyyy too messed up to be completely fictional.

I just googled and found THIS!

http://the-toast.net/2013/08/12/inte...-in-the-attic/

Yes, Flowers in the Attic was based on a story she heard when she was in the hospital for a spinal operation.

You’re kidding. It’s a TRUE STORY?

Well, someone told it to her, yes. Some doctor there. So I’d guess that some aspects of it were true—at least the aspect of kids being hidden away. Whether the twins were real, the sex, the time frame, probably not. I think it was just the concept of kids hidden in the attic so the mother could inherit a fortune.
    Last edited by UGG; 11-22-2013 at 09:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Ahhh, FITA...When I first came here and started a rude Amerikan high school, my new rude Amerikan friends gave me this book. The only thing I remember is the incest.
    Not even the arsenic laced doughnuts or the ballet dancer with the broken feet?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that V.C. Andrews died and someone else continued the series - or was that another author?

vCash
    I remember reading My Sweet Audrina, too, and all the effed-up-ness of the whole story--repressed memories, the legless woman, the slutty older sister gleefully doin' it with the music teacher, the is he/is he not her boyfriend and did he rape her before. I don't know who got those books into the house. My mom, I guess, but would she admit to it now? I kind of doubt it.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Not even the arsenic laced doughnuts or the ballet dancer with the broken feet?
    Nope. My memory is really bad and it's been quite a while.

I've read My Sweet Audrina as well and cannot remember a single thing about it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I remember reading My Sweet Audrina, too, and all the effed-up-ness of the whole story--repressed memories, the legless woman, the slutty older sister gleefully doin' it with the music teacher, the is he/is he not her boyfriend and did he rape her before. I don't know who got those books into the house. My mom, I guess, but would she admit to it now? I kind of doubt it.
    That one had me so confused. I never even tried to re-read it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I couldn't get enough of this book and v.c. andrewsw. It was intriguing to me when I was young and had to read the whole series. I then read more of her books and each was as incestous or nasty as the next. I don't know what my present self would think of them but i still have them so maybe i'll take a little look see and see if they stand the test of time.
    After reading this thread, I was thinking that at least the first book might be good snowy day re-reading!

vCash
    I hadn't thought about those books in decades but now that everyone mentions it they were rather decadent for mainstream fiction. It's funny how we always look at the past as having been more innocent.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am curious: was there any religious outcry against this? There was against Harry Potter but this (incest) seems to be a step up from witchcraft, no?

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am curious: was there any religious outcry against this? There was against Harry Potter but this (incest) seems to be a step up from witchcraft, no?
    I don't remember anything like that happening, but then again, these books weren't marketed toward children/tweens the way the Harry Potter series was - they were adult fiction (but not "adult" fiction ). Also, the PC Police and the "What About The Chillllldrennnnnn?!" Brigade hadn't taken up arms at that point.

Of course that didn't stop a zillion 12 and 13 year-olds from getting their mitts on them

When FITA was first published, cable tv was in its infancy and if your family had an Atari game system and/or a Betamax y'all were RICH, so kids actually read books and played outside to entertain themselves.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wow. You've made me nostalgic, Cyn. Le sigh.

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I read My Sweet Audrina several times and never fully got that one -- I'm embarrassed to admit that I remember way, way too much about it, as well as all of the FITA books, and most of the Heaven series.

Audrina's "cousin" was named Vera, and she was actually her half-sister -- Audrina's father had an affair with her mother's sister but refused to acknowledge publicly that Vera was his daughter, so she had a major axe to grind, especially with Audrina. On the day of Audrina's 9th birthday, Vera arranged for some boys she knew from school to rape her in the woods after school. Their neighbor, Arden Lowe, witnessed the rape, but he was pussed out rather than stop them. Audrina freaked out, and her dad had her undergo electroshock therapy to try and erase the memories and trauma of the rape from Audrina's mind. They also drugged her constantly so that she had no concept of time (to go along with an erased memory of her childhood). Over the course of two years, they convinced her that she'd actually had an older sister, also named Audrina, who had died on her 9th birthday.

The whole plot basically revolves around how Audrina is trying to figure out her past and why she is so haunted. She "meets" Arden Lowe and his mother Billie, who is legless, and eventually dates and then marries Arden. Vera's a jealous beyotch who tries to and often does sabotage anything that makes Audrina happy, including (among other things) seducing Audrina's piano teacher (who knocks Vera up -- he leaves town, reluctantly planning to take Vera with him, but she miscarries the night they were to leave and Vera rages that she's effectively lost her "ticket out of town"), killing Billie, attempts to kill Audrina, putting her into a vegetative state, during which Vera abuses her and starts an affair with Arden....

.......and on and on and on. It's a overflowing cauldron of "WTF?!"

Has anyone here read Garden of Shadows? It's the Prequel to Flowers in the Attic, and it's told from the Grandmother's POV, starting when she was young and single, and goes all the way to the point in FITA when Cathy, Chris, Cory, and Carrie arrive with Corrine at Foxworth Hall.

ETA: After zipping off this post in just over 12 minutes (all of that was completely from memory), I feel like *SUCH* a dork

vCash
    Yes the original Flowers in the Attic movie was awful, but come on, so were the books. Some of you are acting like the book was some masterpiece that the movie betrayed. It stunk. That said, I loved the book. In fact, I read every book in the series.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    No wonder I blocked out My Sweet Audrina in its entirety.

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    a bad book can be a fun movie. not ingmar bergman. but fun in its own way. i think the problem with the first movie, aside from deviating from the plot, was that there was no camp in it. if you cant give a wink to the camera when you are feeding some poison donuts to some growth stunted captive twins, when can you?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    i remember now the other series I read of hers, with the book "heaven" and "dark angel " among others. I think I liked that one as much as FITA...All the books of hers that I read had really scandalous ideas so of course my younger self had to devour them!

So a doctor told her of some things she later wrote about? IIRC, there was a doctor that Cathy became involved with in the story, hmmmmm... Well, truth is stranger than fiction, so they say.

And that guy who has ghostwritten for her for all these years certainly has made a living from using her name, hasn't he? He's quite prolific, LOL! when she died I thought, oh no, but then more books kept coming...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    was the sequel petals in the wind where cathy dates the dr? bits and pieces are pouring back into my head

kids today dont know the lengths we had to go for a little bit of smut back then
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast