Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Flowers In the Attic Movie-Lifetime

Lifetime movie based on the V.C Andrews novel that will air in January.

I LOVED these books when I was a teenager.

50 Shades of Grey and Twilight have nothing on this family!!

http://www.eonline.com/news/481116/t...s-you-remember

upcoming remake stars Heather Graham, Academy Award-winner Ellen Burstyn and Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka
    Discuss!

vCash
    loved the books also but hated the movie.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    they stuck to the original plot this time

incest FTW!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    incest FTW!
    hopefully they are hotter than the Folger's siblings

vCash
    Wait. . . so, there's already been a movie/movies of FITA??

That was like the most crack-addictive sick series when I was a teenager. The goriest ever car crash that you just CANNOT tear your gaze from. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Saw the 1980s movie based on the book and must have read a couple more of the books but cannot remember. I do remember loving the movie but was a weeeee bit creeped out by it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Wait. . . so, there's already been a movie/movies of FITA??

That was like the most crack-addictive sick series when I was a teenager. The goriest ever car crash that you just CANNOT tear your gaze from. . .
    Yes the movie was horrible. I remember being so disappointed when it came out-I think it came out early 90's.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Wait. . . so, there's already been a movie/movies of FITA?

Yes, and the actress playing Cathy was none other than the Skating With The Stars contestant Kristi Swanson .

ETA: UGG, it came out in 1987, right before Thanksgiving (I remember that clearly as my BFF and I had been looking forward to seeing it when she came home from college for Break -- we came out of the theatre feeling at the absolute turd of a movie we'd wasted two hours watching).

I was in HS when FITA (along with POTW, ITBT, SOY, and GOS) were published, and I read the damned things until they fell apart -- they were like biblio-crack. Looking back on it, I find it and a bit that, given the subject matter, such a large chunk of teenage girls and young adult women were obsessed with these books. My Mom had no clue what they were about; if she'd known, she would never have let me read them.

ETA: LilJen, here's the trailer for the original (craptastic) version:

Flowers in the Attic (1987)

...And here's the (very short) teaser/trailer for the Lifetime movie:

Flowers in the Attic (2014)
    Last edited by Cyn; 11-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Wait. . . so, there's already been a movie/movies of FITA?? . .
    Yes, but it was awful. Don't even bother with it, especially if you liked the books. I had that whole VC Andrews series of books and am so mad at myself I gave them all away. Never give away your stuff when you are in a fit of rage and anger! You give away a lot of stuff you regret later.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ahhh, FITA...When I first came here and started a rude Amerikan high school, my new rude Amerikan friends gave me this book. The only thing I remember is the incest.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Yes, but it was awful. Don't even bother with it, especially if you liked the books. I had that whole VC Andrews series of books and am so mad at myself I gave them all away. Never give away your stuff when you are in a fit of rage and anger! You give away a lot of stuff you regret later.
    I was so disappointed in that movie! I'd read the books so many times and was looking forward to seeing the first one as a movie, and I kept thinking that's not what happened or that doesn't make sense. That happens a lot with movies made from popular books. I still have all the Flowers books, including the prequel that explains how the grandmother became such a monster.

I remember going to see the movie based on the Danielle Steel book, The Promise. It's the first Danielle Steel I ever read and I loved it. The theater was totally packed, and they were moving people next to each other so that two people could sit together. In the movie, the characters didn't look anything like how they were described in the book, so it didn't make sense to the story that we had all read, and the movie was just bad, bad, bad. Everybody was complaining on the way out.

The movie based on the Stephen King book, Carrie, lived up to the book though - the one that was shown in theaters, not the later one that was made for t.v. And they are making another one?????????? Sheesh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Looking back on it, I find it and a bit that, given the subject matter, such a large chunk of teenage girls and young adult women were obsessed with these books. My Mom had no clue what they were about; if she'd known, she would never have let me read them.
    Yeah, my ex-husband's ex-wife (huh?) would not let their daughter read the first one when she was about 14 or so, so I let her read mine. She didn't care about the subject matter, per se, damaging her daughter. But said daughter did not know that she herself was a product of her mother having sex with her sister's husband when she was 15. (Yeah, they were their own soap opera/sleazy book series!)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Lousy book, probably a lousy movie. IMO, of course.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for starting the thread, UGG. I still have all of V.C. Andrew's books. If There Be Thorns was the third book in the series. Cathy and Chris were living together as a married couple. I just hope this latest movie will be better than the first one.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Ha, Flowers in the Attic and the sequels, along with Judy Blume's Forever (some graphic sex content) are the books our parents should never have let us read. . . and yet we did.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Ahhh, FITA...When I first came here and started a rude Amerikan high school, my new rude Amerikan friends gave me this book. The only thing I remember is the incest.
    welcome to America!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    My Mom had no clue what they were about; if she'd known, she would never have let me read them.
    Ha, Flowers in the Attic and the sequels, along with Judy Blume's Forever (some graphic sex content) are the books our parents should never have let us read. . . and yet we did.
    I had just commented a few days ago in the other book thread that I find it incredibly perplexing that my mother was the one who gave me the book when I was a teenager and, as she mentioned having read it herself, apparently knew what it was about. I'm still confused about it to this day, as my mother is fairly conservative around these kinds of things.

I haven't read the book in ages but I actually think the beginning section is really well done and my first time reading, I couldn't put the book down. The incest mostly just creeped me out, although that is probably what made the book a bestseller at the end of the day.

I think the book could make a good movie, but I somehow doubt that a Lifetime movie based on it will be good. It could end up being so bad that it is entertaining though.

vCash
    Oh my gosh, Flowers in the Attic plus Lifetime. It's like a perfect storm of awfulness.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I loved those two books. I think my Mom was happy that I was reading but I don't think she knew what the books were about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Oh my gosh, Flowers in the Attic plus Lifetime. It's like a perfect storm of awfulness.
    So are you watching Flowers in the Attic when it premieres?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast