vCash

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

In Memorium

We remember

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    We definitely do. It's a moment in time I'll never forget. My mom started crying when Walter Cronkite announced the death of JFK. I was 5 years old and didn't understand what the word assassination meant. When she explained it to me, I started crying.

I've been watching a lot of the specials that have been televised the past two weeks. It will always be a sad day and a sad memory for me.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    The assassination occurred before I was born. However, JFK, RFK, and Teddy have always been a great inspiration in terms of all that they stood for. May they all rest of peace.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 11-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    After I moved to Dallas, I visited the JFK memorial and the building/window where Oswald was supposed to be. It gave me chills. We will always remember November 22, 1963 as one of the worst days in the history of our country. Last week I read a magazine article by one of the security guards for the president describing that day. Truly horrifying. Jackie's courage in the face of the tragedy was amazing.

vCash
    Paul Wylie's JFK program. A personal favorite of mine.

http://figureskatingvideos.co/a-movi...om-paul-wylie/

vCash
    I watched the PBS American Experience program on JFK this week. So interesting. My daddy was a Kennedy man, and his death was felt deeply in our home. I was a high school junior and heard news of the shooting over the intercom in my physics class on that Friday afternoon. Did not know that he had died until Daddy picked me up after school. We were glued to the TV for the next several days. I can remember Daddy sitting there and saying, "It's like a bad dream."

vCash
    My mom was in high school also, a sophomore I believe. She's always talked about hearing about the assassination over the intercom, and how she'd never forget where she was.

What strikes me is that this year, the anniversary is falling on a Friday, just as it happened back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn226 View Post

Ditto!

I remember that afternoon. I was in sixth grade, and our teacher had us working on an art project. He said he was going to put on the radio during that quiet time, and that's when/how we found out the terrible news. Our synagogue had a communal memorial service for JFK the following Monday.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I was in choir class (probably 4th grade but I'm not sure) and the announcement came over the loudspeaker. I think they released us early. Like many we were glued to the television for the next few days.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    This morning I briefly watched (had to go to work after that) a replay of the tape in black & white on our local TV, plus other related news (like an event in Dallas today). One moment Jackie was happily smiling and the next....? What a horrible shock! This was devastating for the whole nation. In his short life, JFK accomplished so much! The 'what if's will always be there. I just wish there was a clear explanation of why someone wanted to kill him. After 50 years we still don't have an answer. That is disappointing.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

vCash
    I'll never forget anything about the day. I was in fourth grade.
    JFK was very important to our area because of the space program.

We had a television in our schoolroom. A teacher came in and turned it on, without saying a word.
    As she did, Walter Cronkite was reporting the terrible news, as he wiped away tears.

School was dismissed shortly after.
    I rushed home and spent the rest of the weekend in front of the television,
    The assassination and its' aftermath was the first event ever to receive 24 hour/wall-to-wall coverage in the US,

vCash
    I'm watching some of the live coverage replay from CBS:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/jfk-assassination/

Dan Rather was old enough to have been covering it. I never knew or realized.

Also the two Kennedy kids, Caroline and John Jr. had birthdays the following week in addition to Thanksgiving.

vCash
    ^^^
    His coverage that weekend brought him to national attention.
    He was a local reporter for the Dallas station at the time.

vCash
    I was almost 6, and was watching TV at home before going to my 1/2 kindergarten class. The news bulletin broke in, and I remember shouting to my mom, who was in the other room "Mommy they shot the President". We watched for a while, and then my mom sent me off to school (Yep - in those days even kindergartners walked alone to school). On the way, I met my brother, who said, come on home, school's closed for the day.

My older brother - who was in Junior High, said that when they announced it on the schools PA system, some kid in the class said "good". My brother told him, that whether or not you agree with what he is doing, no one deserved that.

I remember watching the funeral on TV, and the thing that really made an impression on me, was Blackjack the riderless horse, with the boots turned backwards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I remember watching the funeral on TV, and the thing that really made an impression on me, was Blackjack the riderless horse, with the boots turned backwards.
    The whole funeral procession, with a heavily-veiled Mrs. Kennedy walking, flanked by her two brothers-in-law, Robert and Teddy, leading the way from the White House to the cathedral. That and the relentless drum beat.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    We had a television in our schoolroom. A teacher came in and turned it on, without saying a word.
    As she did, Walter Cronkite was reporting the terrible news, as he wiped away tears.,
    I think the best AV that we had wasn't until I was in 9th grade and that was reel to reel movies.

I was in 5th grade, it was announced via PA system and the teachers started crying. School was dismissed with an "indefinite" return date. I am not sure if the TV coverage was an impact that everyone is saying it was for them. I think for me, it has been the replaying of the scenes over the years, which makes it difficult to determine if the actual events are remembered or the images seen so often over the years.
    I think the bigger impact was the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald because I remember my dad saying "we will never know now" "we will never know"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn226 View Post

Oh thank you for that. I had forgotten what a fabulous skater Paul was. And a great day to watch that skate.

I was in my 8th grade typing class, and had just typed the date (which I noted because it is my Half-birthday) - and the announcement came that he had been shot. I am sure that moment, followed by the announcement that he was dead is seared in the mind and heart of every person who experienced it.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I was in 6th grade and we had just come in from noon recess when our teacher told us that Kennedy had been shot. We girls had choir practice and left to go to the church. While we were singing in the choir loft, an older student came up and told Sister Eugenia that Kennedy had died. My friend Carol was crying and started to leave but Sister made her come back and told her "Good Catholics don't cry." When I told my mother this, she said Sister was wrong and that it was ok to cry.

School was dismissed and our neighbor picked us up. My mother would drive my siblings, me, and Dot's kids to school in the morning, and Dot would drive us home in the afternoon. I remember that she couldn't stop crying and how awful that seemed because I had never seen an adult cry. She kept saying that Oswald should be staked out in an ant hill and left to die. My mother told me that was wrong, too, and that it was never right to kill somebody.

We stayed home from school until after the funeral. I was watching TV with my mother when Jack Ruby shot Oswald. We couldn't believe what we had just seen. During the hours of coverage, I learned something I hadn't known about my family. A reporter was discussing Jackie Kennedy's difficult pregnancies. She had had a miscarriage, a stillborn child, and then lost her youngest child when he was a few days old. My mother quietly said, "I had a miscarriage." It was the first time she had ever mentioned it to us kids. She had lost the baby a year before I was born. I still remember the sadness in her voice when she told us about it.

When we went back to school, I was taunted by the two class bullies because I used to live in Irving, TX. They kept chanting "Kennedy killer" at me and I would roll my eyes and tell them how stupid that was.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    The whole funeral procession, with a heavily-veiled Mrs. Kennedy walking, flanked by her two brothers-in-law, Robert and Teddy, leading the way from the White House to the cathedral. That and the relentless drum beat.
    I can still hear that drum beat. It will stay with me until the day I die. I too heard it over the intercom at school. And went home and watched it live the whole weekend. I also saw Oswald get killed live. It had to be set up. They told the press when he would be transferred and then let all those people in to watch without even checking them for guns. I will never believe he acted alone.