Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Giselle and Mfl unbelievable. .....they even hit the notes!

The Mahler beginning works with seasons but then the dance and the music part ways.

Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    *Ice Princess* , good joke
    I didn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Sandypaws04 View Post
    I've watched teams practice while another team's music is playing many times, where you would swear that it could be their music. I think in watching these videos you've proven that both teams could interchange their music. I thought that Scott and Tessa's Mahler-Seasons had many areas where it appeared they were "right on" the music. I don't think having music that fits a different program proves that you do the same program every year, it only proves that there are many programs choreographed to similar rhythms and beats of music, as in those montages that people make for youtube. They lay any old piece of music over a video and it works perfectly. This proves that D/W and V/M either do the same program every year or neither of them does. Look again, I think your bias is showing...just saying.
    I'm sorry but I disagree. Of course, some steps or movements match up with other music, it is very normal. It isn't "normal" when 95% of a program fits perfectly with other music with different rhythms. If I look at TS's video I fully understand that those are not the music of the programs I'm looking at. Instead of those MC I might as well watch them without realizing that it is exchanged music.
    Just look at these other ...

DW #5 Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz - My Fair Lady

DW #6 My Fair Lady - Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz

DW #7 Samson and Dalilah - Sherazade

DW #8 Sherazade - Samson and Dalilah

YEAH!
    vCash
    Thanks IcePrincess. I remember when someone did this with Michelle Kwan's programs and they pretty much all looked the same. It adds fuel to the argument that D&W are doing a waltz instead of a foxtrot. I think Marina fits the music to their skating instead of vice versa. That's why they have been able to easily switch programs the last few years at the last minute but still come out trained and in shape at their first outing... it's all more or less the same program. Last year they worked with Alex Wong and the big improvement that came out of that was the addition of bells to a move they had done at Skate America... adding the sound effect made it seem as though they hit the move right on the music. I guess this is the "tight with the music" that the ISU wants?

Mahler & Seasons do go very well for the first minute or so but then the difference becomes clear. It makes sense, in that both start as slow pieces of classical music. In the SD, where rhythm is so important, the difference is crystal clear. You could not mistake that foxtrot for the Waltz Goes On under any circumstances.

vCash
    [QUOTE=*Ice Princess*;4078621]

I didn't understand

I'm sorry but I disagree. Of course, some steps or movements match up with other music, it is very normal. It isn't "normal" when 95% of a program fits perfectly with other music with different rhythms. If I look at TS's video I fully understand that those are not the music of the programs I'm looking at. Instead of those MC I might as well watch them without realizing that it is exchanged music.
    Just look at these other .../QUOTE]

Well yes, I assumed you would disagree, but that doesn't make it true. Plus I'm sure that the V/M fans would not appreciate the way you have drawn such clear comparisons/likenesses to the Mahler-Seasons programs, in an effort to disparage another team.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Well yes, I assumed you would disagree, but that doesn't make it true. Plus I'm sure that the V/M fans would not appreciate the way you have drawn such clear comparisons/likenesses to the Mahler-Seasons programs, in an effort to disparage another team.
    Right, because no one has criticized Seasons as being a Mahler rehash....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Right, because no one has criticized Seasons as being a Mahler rehash....
    I see those comments everywhere on youtube it is annoying. In FDs teams will stick to their strength but what is interesting is that in the SD D/W are not following the prescribed dance style and that is because of the music choice and yet they still get high PCS?
    Last edited by parapluies; 12-14-2013 at 06:28 PM.

vCash
    @cherub: you got the point

But I have not done anything! DW did everything! I have not modified, cut or else the musics so as to make them fit! I did the same with TS! Many have criticized Seasons saying it was equal to Mahler, indeed, Mahler 2.0 .. so, what better way to see if it is true than to switch the musics? This is not to discredit a team to enhance another. This is only for show dates clearly visible to all. That's it.
    Last edited by *Ice Princess*; 12-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Ice Princess* View Post

But I have not done anything! DW did everything! I have not modified, cut or else the musics so as to make them fit! I did the same with TS! Many have criticized Seasons saying it was equal to Mahler, indeed, Mahler 2.0 .. so, what better way to see if it is true than to switch the musics? This is not to discredit a team to enhance another. This is only for show dates clearly visible to all. That's it.
    Don't bother princess. Methinks the Sandypaws doth protest too much!

vCash
    [QUOTE=Sandypaws04;4078642]

I didn't understand

Just look at these other .../QUOTE]

To paraphrase one of the posters here whose comments I have found funny

"oh, just sod off, will ya"
    Crazy about sports!

vCash

For me its clear if people wish to see Seasons is Mahler, they will. If they want gold for DW - they will and will see all new in D programs.
    So everyone could choose what she (he) like more. We are not judges and this is good thing, we hve freedom to choose

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    To paraphrase one of the posters here whose comments I have found funny

"oh, just sod off, will ya"
    What does this mean? Google doesn't translate it

Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    For me its clear if people wish to see Seasons is Mahler, they will. If they want gold for DW - they will and will see all new in D programs.
    So everyone could choose what she (he) like more. We are not judges and this is good thing, we hve freedom to choose

vCash
    Not sure what the point of trolling the site of opposing users is...especially if you can't make your point. While the opening of seasons is definitely soft like others have said, once you get to the first lift, step sequence and twizzles the music is completely inappropriate for the choreography.

vCash
    Ehy guys, I made a crazy (or maybe not) project...

We have always accused DW to be the same in every program, saying that if you put another music does not change anything, just the costumes. Well, that's what I did. Last night, I began simply out of curiosity and to take away this doubt, but the doubt has materialized. So I decided to make these videos so as to show them to you and see what you think. I swapped the musics and programs of the past season with the current one, ditto for VM .. with the only difference that for the FD I used Mahler seen that is the object of criticism this year.

Davis & White - I have found that 95% (or something more) of all 4 programs fits perfectly.

DW #1 Giselle - My Fair Lady

DW #1 My Fair Lady - Giselle

DW #3 Notre Dame - Sherazade

DW #4 Sherazade - Notre Dame

Virtue & Moir - Not matches absolutely nothing.

VM #1 And The Waltz Go On - Cheek to Cheek

VM #2 Cheek to Cheek - And The Waltz Go On

VM #3 Mahler - Seasons

VM #4 Seasons - Mahler
    Thanks for doing this it is really amusing. I can't get over the choreo lift at the end of my fair lady. That Charlie has to hold her leg in position just kills me. My fair lady definitely do en not have the feeling of the fox trot. Maybe their program is the reason p/b were advised to change their sp. Too far on the other side of the spectrum from d/w

vCash
    Ps one more thing. The camera shot for dw Twizzles where it zooms out really allows one to appreciate how little ice they cover. It is the same kind of shot that fan cams achieve.

vCash
    For me, IcePrincess's experiment highlighted that Seasons is definitely not Mahler 2.0. The year's music seems to fit the Mahler program well (lots of highlights fall at the same times), but Mahler no. 5 doesn't fit Seasons, except for the first part of the program.

On the tuxedo point, at their first GP this year one of Nicky Slater's main criticisms of the program was... the colour of Scott's shirt. Something like 'white shirt or grey shirt?' seems daft to me, but to some people every detail of the costuming is an absolutely essential component of the package. I really don't think a tuxedo would have made the difference, however!

vCash
    Ehy guys, I made a crazy (or maybe not) project...

We have always accused DW to be the same in every program, saying that if you put another music does not change anything, just the costumes. Well, that's what I did. Last night, I began simply out of curiosity and to take away this doubt, but the doubt has materialized. So I decided to make these videos so as to show them to you and see what you think. I swapped the musics and programs of the past season with the current one, ditto for VM .. with the only difference that for the FD I used Mahler seen that is the object of criticism this year.

Davis & White - I have found that 95% (or something more) of all 4 programs fits perfectly.

DW #1 Giselle - My Fair Lady

DW #1 My Fair Lady - Giselle
    OMG, that is hilarious! Marina Zoueva should have used their Polka music last year in this year's SD!

Edited: Can you make a video comparing V&M Carmen to other Carmens?

I am trying to do a video comparison of everybody's step sequences, at least everybody in the top 4. It is hard to squish 5 in one screen.
    Last edited by piano18; 12-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    My question about Scott in a tux was actually not meant to be humorous. Wasn't White told in earlier years that the judges wanted to see him in a tux? Or am I imagining that. If costuming weren't important there wouldn't be so many posts about poor Tessa's dresses here. Sometimes I think a few of these costume criticisms are just a sneaky way to criticize her body type - not all but some. Anyway here's the question then, is costuming reflected in the final mark either officially or unofficially?
    what are you talking about?

Anyways I don't know if you guys have noticed, but iggie put up an introduction to a quote project that has been in the works for awhile. I want to thank everybody that helped in any way, shape or form, iggie for including it on the blog, and especially cherub; she put in an astounding amount of work into this and reading the little booklet was truly amazing. So thank you again for thinking of collecting these quotes and putting the work in of arranging them by year. Iggie I hope you eventually decide to put up the rest of the quotes because it truly is amazing seeing all the praise that Tessa and Scott have had showered on them. I think from time to time how lucky Tessa and Scott are to have the fans that they do.

Completely off topic, but does anybody know why Tessa stopped being a vegetarian or has she ever given a reason in an interview?
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Kurt and PJ's post GP podcast is up on the CBC website.
    Catching up on everyone's posts here (thanks for all the great tidbits).

Finally had a chance to listen to this podcast.

I find it both perplexing and disturbing hearing them state that both teams didn't put a foot wrong during the competition.

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so scared about calling an error when they see D/W make one? If Canadian commentators don't do it, who will? Are they afraid of being accused of biased commentating? If so, I think they are overcompensating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtpdx View Post
    Catching up on everyone's posts here (thanks for all the great tidbits).

Finally had a chance to listen to this podcast.

I find it both perplexing and disturbing hearing them state that both teams didn't put a foot wrong during the competition.

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so scared about calling an error when they see D/W make one? If Canadian commentators don't do it, who will? Are they afraid of being accused of biased commentating? If so, I think they are overcompensating.
    Why not ask PJ and Kurt themselves? They both have Twitter accounts, don't they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Why not ask PJ and Kurt themselves? They both have Twitter accounts, don't they?
    Unfortunately, I don't have a twitter account (and am, in general, not into the social media sphere).

vCash
    I apologize if I've offended some of you with my comment about these costume discussions, but quite honestly that's how they come across to me. But since several of you have commented I must be wrong.

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast