Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    Awww I love the pictures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    More than a bit. What I'm getting from this article is that D/W are the better skaters but V/M have the advantage in looks. It's the ugly and great versus the beautiful and flawed. Who will win?
    I read it and I didn't get that at all. Yes, she's commenting on their looks in sort of a caricature way, but D/W's look has always been played up in their skating persona - her large eyes, his golden hair - and it does lend itself to that type of characterization. She didn't remark on V/M's looks at all. She said D/W are the more technically proficient team, which they aren't, but I suspect she meant more technically consistent this year, which they are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    I read it and I didn't get that at all. Yes, she's commenting on their looks in sort of a caricature way, but D/W's look has always been played up in their skating persona - her large eyes, his golden hair - and it does lend itself to that type of characterization. She didn't remark on V/M's looks at all. She said D/W are the more technically proficient team, which they aren't, but I suspect she meant more technically consistent this year, which they are.
    Saying Meryl looks like a Disney princess with her big eyes, that's a charaterization. Saying she looks like a human fly, that's an insult and makes Meryl sound like a really unfortunate-looking woman. I honestly don't understand how anybody could be OK with that.

I made some extrapolations from what she said but, judging by her (oh so great!) body of work, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what she was going after. Rosie likes to put people in boxes and make up fake drama, that's her shtick. And judging by the Chinese judge's comments in the other thread, the good-looking stars (V/M) vs the technically superior but not so pretty (D/W) is a popular comparison.

vCash
    I wish there were more practice pictures of the FD. I heard people saying that they are doing the curve lift in the place of where the SlLi used to be. But I'm not fluent in Japanese so I'm not sure. I hope though there is a combo lift. They can kill 2 birds with one stone if they do a combo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    More than a bit. What I'm getting from this article is that D/W are the better skaters but V/M have the advantage in looks. It's the ugly and great versus the beautiful and flawed. Who will win?

I know she's busy right now but I've been waiting for years for the Star to give the skating assignment to Robyn Doolittle. They have an actual skater on staff and yet they keep going back to Dimanno. She makes a mockery of figure skating as a sport and tries to be as controversial as possible, that's not journalism.
    Rosie Dimanno is so dumb. Its not the personal looks that is ugly about D/W. You know whats really ugly about D/W? Their lines/postures and their dangling free legs and how they never match (like in this picture) not Meryl's face. Why doesn't she talk about that? Anyways V/M had good SD practice today
    Last edited by parapluies; 12-06-2013 at 01:30 AM.

vCash
    I would like to bundle off Rosie & Phil (Hersh) to the South Pole where they can keep their sour thoughts to themselves. I make no time to read their articles any longer, it's just pure nastiness on both their parts.

Anyway want to contribute to the cause?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I would like to bundle off Rosie & Phil (Hersh) to the South Pole where they can keep their sour thoughts to themselves. I make no time to read their articles any longer, it's just pure nastiness on both their parts.

Anyway want to contribute to the cause?
    gladly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    I wish there were more practice pictures of the FD. I heard people saying that they are doing the curve lift in the place of where the SlLi used to be. But I'm not fluent in Japanese so I'm not sure. I hope though there is a combo lift. They can kill 2 birds with one stone if they do a combo.
    Interesting if that is so. I too hope for a combination lift. But how to do a combination with the first rotational, and so that it goes with the music? I don't know, but I would like to see that. And what is in the place of the curve lift?

Rosie Dimanno is so dumb. Its not the personal looks that is ugly about D/W. You know whats really ugly about D/W? Their lines/postures and their dangling free legs and how they never match (like in this picture) not Meryl's face. Why doesn't she talk about that? Anyways V/M had good SD practice today
    There are many pictures where their legs do match. So it's not true that they never match. Also, their lines and posture may not be as good as Tessa and Scott's, but they are better than many other teams, and better than people like you say. Those exaggerations are not helping. They are just lending Davis/White fans and ubers reasons to say how terrible and biased we (Tessa and Scott fans) are.

vCash
    Cause she's a moron. She is an embarassment and yet so typical of the reporting that happens on figure skating. Thoughtless, uninformed, mindless 'stuff' that helps no one and only solidifies the opinions of people who already think figure skating is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    IAlso, their lines and posture may not be as good as Tessa and Scott's, but they are better than many other teams.
    Okay, I'll bite because come on now. Better than C-L? Nope. Better than P-B? Nope. Better than W-P? A couple of years ago, maybe? Now? Nope. Who's left? There's B-S, I'd say yes, better. Better than the Shibs? Hell, no. I am only talking about line and posture, not anything else. Better than I-K? Generally, no. They are indeed better than many other teams, but better than the Top 10 teams on this department, not at all and not even close.

ETA: In fact, some lower ranked teams have much better lines and posture than D-W. Paul and Islam? Hubbell and Donohue? Have you seen Guillaume Cizeron?
    Last edited by Golightly; 12-06-2013 at 03:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Okay, I'll bite because come on now. Better than C-L? Nope. Better than P-B? Nope. Better than W-P? A couple of years ago, maybe? Now? Nope. Who's left? There's B-S, I'd say yes, better. Better than the Shibs? Hell, no. I am only talking about line and posture, not anything else. Better than I-K? Generally, no. They are indeed better than many other teams, but better than the Top 10 teams on this department, not at all and not even close.
    THIS. I was just about to say it. D/W may have more speed than most teams. They may be more consistent. They may be a lot of things, but having better LINES? Nope.

vCash
    Also, here's a working link to the live Eurosport 2 feed. Snooker is on now (what is that?!?!), but next they're going to replay the men and ladies shorts then pairs and dance will be live. http://hotbladeshotpassion.blogspot....ussian-tv.html (Just choose "Eurosport 2" from the drop down in the first player!) The sd starts at 4:15 am EST. (Pairs at 3 am)

vCash
    How journalist could say something like this in press? Did additorthis press have chief-a?
    additorr?
    Did she think she helped Tessa and Scott? I feel bad for them

vCash
    I hope they have not removed the "swan lift"! It was spectacular!

vCash
    Thanks for the picture link MissJD.

As long as I've been a fan of figureskating in general, many of the journalists who cover it have almost always come across as if they didn't really want the assignment but drew the short straw. I wish that people like Phil Hersh and Rosie DiManno would educate themselves or at least let the papers find someone, anyone who really wants the story and might make an effort to do a better job with it. There has to be a newspaper version of a Terry Gannon type. Someone who might have been reluctant at first but did educate themselves about the in's and out's of the sport, who has come to appreciate it and who wants to truly educate the readers.

For Tessa and Scott, all I'm looking for is two great performances. I'm willing to start from there and move on to Canadians then Sochi. V&M's SD is IMHO the best dance in the field. Shows the true character of the chosen rhythm both in content, technique and how the dance is interpeted by V&M. I want the audience to see this dance the way it should be seen.

I still think the FD can work, but V&M can't back off. Even if they have a slight bobble, then move past it and kill it with the rest of the dance. Don't let that one bobble throw off the remainder of the program.

This is what I want from this competition. Good luck to Tessa and Scott.

vCash
    Sitting in front of computer. Ready to cheer for V&M!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I'm ready and really anxious!! GO TESSA E SCOTT!!!

vCash
    I hope they win the SD go V/M They are going to nail it!

vCash
    I feel so terrible because I can't watch GPF live. But it is better for my sanity

Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast