vCash
    [QUOTE=professordeb;4078688]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandypaws04 View Post
    To paraphrase one of the posters here whose comments I have found funny

"oh, just sod off, will ya"
    Quote Originally Posted by *Ice Princess* View Post
    What does this mean? Google doesn't translate it
    From Wikipedia:
    Sod in British English is a somewhat offensive, pejorative term for a person, derived from sodomite[1] but rarely nowadays used with this meaning. As an insult, it is generally teamed with 'off', i.e., 'sod off' meaning to get lost/go away/**** off. It can generally be applied to refer to a person in a most basic sense and frequently preceded by a modifying adjective (“That crazy sod almost ran me over!”). It can be used as many different parts of speech – e.g. in the imperative mood, “Sod off, you slag!”; or in adjective form, “sodding bastard”. Such uses as “Sod it!” and “Sod this” are often exclamations of frustration.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    I saw on twitter about there being a special on Tessa and Scott. Did anybody see anything in regards to this.

Meyers posted this http://www.wnetwork.com/living/ice-dancing-101
    Last edited by Shayii; 12-15-2013 at 03:50 AM.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    [QUOTE=skatingguy;4078891]
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post

From Wikipedia:
    Sod in British English is a somewhat offensive, pejorative term for a person, derived from sodomite[1] but rarely nowadays used with this meaning. As an insult, it is generally teamed with 'off', i.e., 'sod off' meaning to get lost/go away/**** off. It can generally be applied to refer to a person in a most basic sense and frequently preceded by a modifying adjective (“That crazy sod almost ran me over!”). It can be used as many different parts of speech – e.g. in the imperative mood, “Sod off, you slag!”; or in adjective form, “sodding bastard”. Such uses as “Sod it!” and “Sod this” are often exclamations of frustration.
    this sounds like a more posh way to curse than using s#%* or f@!*^ hehehe

vCash
    Ehy guys, I made a crazy (or maybe not) project...

We have always accused DW to be the same in every program, saying that if you put another music does not change anything, just the costumes. Well, that's what I did. Last night, I began simply out of curiosity and to take away this doubt, but the doubt has materialized. So I decided to make these videos so as to show them to you and see what you think. I swapped the musics and programs of the past season with the current one, ditto for VM .. with the only difference that for the FD I used Mahler seen that is the object of criticism this year.

Davis & White - I have found that 95% (or something more) of all 4 programs fits perfectly.

DW #1 Giselle - My Fair Lady

DW #1 My Fair Lady - Giselle

DW #3 Notre Dame - Sherazade

DW #4 Sherazade - Notre Dame

Virtue & Moir - Not matches absolutely nothing.

VM #1 And The Waltz Go On - Cheek to Cheek

VM #2 Cheek to Cheek - And The Waltz Go On

VM #3 Mahler - Seasons

VM #4 Seasons - Mahler
    I'm sorry but I disagree. Of course, some steps or movements match up with other music, it is very normal. It isn't "normal" when 95% of a program fits perfectly with other music with different rhythms. If I look at TS's video I fully understand that those are not the music of the programs I'm looking at. Instead of those MC I might as well watch them without realizing that it is exchanged music.
    Just look at these other ...

DW #5 Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz - My Fair Lady

DW #6 My Fair Lady - Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz

DW #7 Samson and Dalilah - Sherazade

DW #8 Sherazade - Samson and Dalilah
    The only things that I agree with here are that Tessa and Scott's programs and musics don't match almost at all, except the beginning of their 'Mahler' and 'Season' FDs, and that Meryl and Charlie's 'Giselle' music fits their 'My Fair Lady' SD quite well, and vice versa - although the original music fits the programs better anyway.

As for 'Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz' vs 'My Fair Lady', they don't fit - especially the 'Musetta's Waltz' doesn't fit with 'My Fair Lady' SD at all. Sorry, but I think that a person has to be quite unmusical to seriously and honestly think that they match. The same goes for their FDs - some separate parts or even just moments do match, but for the most part the FDs and their musics don't match. Or even if it looks like they hit a note here or there, it's clearly visible that the choreography is not for this music.

Sorry once again - I may be a Tessa and Scott fan, but I don't think that is reason enough to agree or pretend to agree with something that is not true in my opinion. Of course, I could have just kept silent to avoid arguing, but for some reason I didn't want to.

vCash
    I cannot believe it, but I guess there is a first for everything I guess. I agree with Laura here. Music choice should not even be a deciding factor in the first place. So, placing other musics in other programs does not really say a whole lot. What does it prove? I mean, I know D/W use music that carries them, that is not a secret anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    The only things that I agree with here are that Tessa and Scott's programs and musics don't match almost at all, except the beginning of their 'Mahler' and 'Season' FDs, and that Meryl and Charlie's 'Giselle' music fits their 'My Fair Lady' SD quite well, and vice versa - although the original music fits the programs better anyway.

As for 'Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz' vs 'My Fair Lady', they don't fit - especially the 'Musetta's Waltz' doesn't fit with 'My Fair Lady' SD at all. Sorry, but I think that a person has to be quite unmusical to seriously and honestly think that they match. The same goes for their FDs - some separate parts or even just moments do match, but for the most part the FDs and their musics don't match. Or even if it looks like they hit a note here or there, it's clearly visible that the choreography is not for this music.

Sorry once again - I may be a Tessa and Scott fan, but I don't think that is reason enough to agree or pretend to agree with something that is not true in my opinion. Of course, I could have just kept silent to avoid arguing, but for some reason I didn't want to.
    Honest question here Laura, but why do you always feel the need to patrol the thread? I feel like you do this all the freaking time. This has nothing to do with the present discussion, just curious.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I saw on twitter about there being a special on Tessa and Scott. Did anybody see anything in regards to this.

Meyers posted this http://www.wnetwork.com/living/ice-dancing-101
    There's a mini series on them beginning in early January. The cameras have been following them around for most of this season. Is that what you mean? Unfortunately, I've forgotten which channel - not CTV or CBC, and my TV guide only covers two weeks. I'm sure someone will post the info closer to the date.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    I cannot believe it, but I guess there is a first for everything I guess. I agree with Laura here. Music choice should not even be a deciding factor in the first place. So, placing other musics in other programs does not really say a whole lot. What does it prove? I mean, I know D/W use music that carries them, that is not a secret anyway.
    I agree that music should not be a deciding factor. However, I do think being able to swap the music for the SDs does prove or show something. The SDs from this year and last year use different rhythms. Last year, we had polka, waltz, and march. This year, it's Finnstep, plus one or two of the foxtrot, Charleston, or swing. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but taking the differences in the rhythms that are supposed to be used, I wouldn't expect the music to swap out easily like it did with D/W's short dances.

vCash
    Honest question here Laura, but why do you always feel the need to patrol the thread? I feel like you do this all the freaking time. This has nothing to do with the present discussion, just curious.
    Yes, I've noticed the same thing, Laura - are you this post's monitor?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    OMG, that is hilarious! Marina Zoueva should have used their Polka music last year in this year's SD!

Edited: Can you make a video comparing V&M Carmen to other Carmens?

I am trying to do a video comparison of everybody's step sequences, at least everybody in the top 4. It is hard to squish 5 in one screen.
    I could try but I don't know who are other teams that skate Carmen :/ Oh well, apart Cappellini and Lanotte...
    If you know, give me the the list of the Carmen's ice dance couple

vCash
    Because she's a fan but not one who feels the need to diminish Davis and White at every turn. Why shouldn't she have a right to challenge someone's point of view. Just because one is a fan or even an uber doesn't mean they can't offer an objective and contrary opinion to what's posted here. It's bloody irritating sometimes to not feel you can be a fan of V and M but not criticize their faults or someone's negative opinions of their rivals. I still think V and M are superior skaters in pretty much every way but it doesn't mean I ascribe to every negative, challenging opinion of D and W. And I don't think it's fair to label someone as " patrolling" just because they feel the same way as I just posted above.

vCash
    As for music. Its important for ice dancers to skate on rythm, but not on melody. So it will be interersting to see when polka and quick-step look the same or waltz and foxtrot.
    I remember before 2010 OG it was a lot off criticism about Mahler and someone did Mahler video on another music. And nobody were angry.
    And of couse everyone will have there own opinion about this and we couldnt made nothing with judges opinion.
    I know, Trankov is very unpopular person now, but i find interesting, that he said - in ice dance judges changed canadians with americans in ice dance because udges are tired of dominance of 1 team over others. Maybe this is the case and all this talk about who skate better or have better programs is nothing?

As for Laura. Guys, let her post at least in this thread, because sweet Meryl Charlie fans threw her from DW thread after posts like this. But in uber thread what you want to read?
    PashaFan did great thread about other ice dance teams and ice dance overall, then we have thread about why DW are better, then VM. I think in those places everyone feel free to talk everything about any ice dance team.

vCash
    I still think V/M are going to win their second OGM. At the beginning of the season,D/W seemed as the clear winners,but look how close Tessa and Scott came to them.This wouldn't have happened if the judges were 100% sure that D/W are going to be Olympic Champions in February.
    I wouldn't be surprised if V/M's win in Sochi is going to be much more clearer than D/W's win at GPF.

vCash
    if d/w do win in sochi, what will you say to their ubers if they start claiming that v/m's win in vancouver was a fluke since they were skating on home court?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    if d/w do win in sochi, what will you say to their ubers if they start claiming that v/m's win in vancouver was a fluke since they were skating on home court?
    Didnt they talk already VM must lose to DW a lot off times? But when someone try to ask why DW won over VM with mistakes - this mean you are crazy

vCash
    I'm sorry, but the music doesn't tell me they're waltzing. It's their beat, not the music's. They're not particularly great at carrying the rhythm. It's like those singers with good voices that have zero timing. So, it is clear to me that they're doing a waltz. Why more people aren't talking about it? Well, for the same reason they won the GPF.

Still, I've always thought there's only so much you can get away with, so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    There's a mini series on them beginning in early January. The cameras have been following them around for most of this season. Is that what you mean? Unfortunately, I've forgotten which channel - not CTV or CBC, and my TV guide only covers two weeks. I'm sure someone will post the info closer to the date.
    I understand it is on WN (Women's Network).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    I understand it is on WN (Women's Network).
    I was just watching a christmas movie on that network, when a promotion for the show appeared during the commercial break. I will update this post with a link when I finish getting it uploaded on my youtube channel.

ETA; short but sweet: http://youtu.be/KCvlsxVz1bY
    Last edited by rvi5; 12-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    TV Alerts forum thread includes the video trailer/preview: Tessa & Scott - new show on W network in Canada
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtpdx View Post
    Catching up on everyone's posts here (thanks for all the great tidbits).

Finally had a chance to listen to this podcast.

I find it both perplexing and disturbing hearing them state that both teams didn't put a foot wrong during the competition.

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so scared about calling an error when they see D/W make one? If Canadian commentators don't do it, who will? Are they afraid of being accused of biased commentating? If so, I think they are overcompensating.
    This reticence to criticize the other team's mistakes happens often enough to make one wonder what's going on. I expected more from PJ, but perhaps they're concerned their remarks will somehow negatively affect VM's scoring in Sochi. Tracy Wilson is very good at analyzing VM but she too is careful about her critique of DW.

Another thing I can't get over is Lane, Browning and Irving all saying they felt like they've seen a different FD. These guys are supposed to be experts. I am no great analyst but even I could see the potential in VM's FD regardless of how they performed it in competition. I've watched it over numerous times and just love parts of it.

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast