Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Hm.... Did he mean WP marks? I disagree with him, because WP just lost some levels and will get 70 and 104 with clean skating - its very good marks for them.
    But Kostner lose to Lipnitskay with falls - its over the top. Caro is one of the best female skate in the history (IMHO)
    Yes I think he was talkig about W/P but one can look at the sentence generally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Yes I think he was talkig about W/P but one can look at the sentence generally.
    Nobody of them didnt say nothing after Carmen lost gold at WCh. And they all understand, two teams never will be at podium at OG so they wish TS will retire before OG?
    Amazing how much unrespect they show to VM. What could VM wait from other federations and fans?

vCash
    Oh goodness. Jeff Buttle is a huge fan of Virtue and Moir and was just pretty much gushing about them in his CBC interview today. Let's not jump to conclusions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cgirl8 View Post
    F: And if someone decided to make a movie about your life, what genre would it be? And maybe an name for the movie.

S: Scary, I think. [laughter]

T: That’s a good question.

S: Yeah, it would be a bio-pic.

F: What would you name your movie?

S: We had a couple names that we came up with. [looking at Tessa] What were the good ones? The really cheesy ones… Didn’t we have a couple names?

T: I don’t remember.

S: Tessa and Scott on Thin Ice. Really cheesy though, I love cheesy things. [laughter] I don’t know, what would you guys name it?

F: We don’t know! [another person] Tessa, Scott and the Umbrellas.

S: Yeah. I like that one. You get the budget, I’m in.
    Thanks! You're a treasure

vCash
    Nobody of them didnt say nothing after Carmen lost gold at WCh. And they all understand, two teams never will be at podium at OG so they wish TS will retire before OG?
    Amazing how much unrespect they show to VM. What could VM wait from other federations and fans?
    Yes, I appreciate that he's spoken out here, but it's so convenient. Russia cooked the books in this competition so a North American champion speaks out. That's wonderful.

But he's silent on Davis White versus Virtue Moir, and as much as anyone else, Jeff Buttle knows what a travesty the judging has been there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Yes, I appreciate that he's spoken out here, but it's so convenient. Russia cooked the books in this competition so a North American champion speaks out. That's wonderful.

But he's silent on Davis White versus Virtue Moir, and as much as anyone else, Jeff Buttle knows what a travesty the judging has been there.
    He basically implied today on CBC that Virtue and Moir are the better team.

vCash
    OK, why did they think BS couldn't have better PCS then WP?
    Its just in FD or also in SD?
    And yes, when its competition with Russians they start talking about judging, but not last season, when Carmen lost in PCS all the time.
    At moments like this I wish VM will be experts and talking about why Lane skaters got such marks. Or about Weaver basic skating, or.about DW.
    Was this smart to stay after.2010 OG?

vCash
    Hm.... Did he mean WP marks? I disagree with him, because WP just lost some levels and will get 70 and 104 with clean skating - its very good marks for them.
    But Kostner lose to Lipnitskay with falls - its over the top. Caro is one of the best female skate in the history (IMHO)
    No way should Bobrova/Soloviev have been 7 points ahead of W/P in the SD. So that was a travesty. And the FD marks were crazy too. Carol Lane said she was shocked B/S beat W/P on PCS in the FD.

vCash
    That's something, I guess.

If Davis White weren't North American, the media would be screaming bloody murder, as they did when Domnina Shabalin used bungee cords. The knocks against that team were legitimate, but the N.A. media didn't care if it was legit. Knock the skating - knock the program - it's all the same.

The idea was to throw as much shade at the team as possible, to promote the success of the N.A. teams. The people doing the shouting and complaining didn't know much about ice dance. They just grabbed onto pretexts.

Buttle knows as well as anyone else out there that the books are cooked for Davis White. Davis & White's skating is never scrutinized in the scores, only how "clean" they are.

It's agreed that nobody judge the caliber of their lifts vis a vis Virtue and Moir's. That whole "base value" thing, we'll just ignore. The non-skating and filler in between elements, the lack of skating and dance hold and multidirectional skating in between elements, and the lack of run of blade into and out of elements, we'll also ignore.

Buttle spoke out today, and was so vehement about it, but he'll only come in the side door when it comes to talking about Virtue Moir versus Davis White. That is every bit the scandal as what happened at the RC this weekend.
    Last edited by Subway; 11-23-2013 at 11:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    No way should Bobrova/Soloviev have been 7 points ahead of W/P in the SD. So that was a travesty. And the FD marks were crazy too. Carol Lane said she was shocked B/S beat W/P on PCS in the FD.
    I understand this, but why she think so? Did she explain something?
    WP didn't.get there levels in SD, so they could get 70 points if they.did. I can't understand why when VM lost there levels people start talking about regression and losing technics, but in WP case its all about judges controversy?
    And WP won FD so all is OK
    .Or they must got marks, like VM?

vCash
    He did? What exactly did he say? I guess he didn't say anything during WCh because he doesn't want to get too involved.

vCash
    I think people hear what they want to hear. Lane said she though W and P were underscored. The remarks about VM /DW included compliments to DW for being technically super - and to VM for great emotional impact. Also it was pointed out that DW start out the season in terrific form and stay that way throughout, but the VM improve more gradually. Yes, the Canadian commentators have a soft spot and high hopes for VM, but they take nothing away from DW.

vCash
    I understand this, but why she think so? Did she explain something?
    WP didn't.get there levels in SD, so they could get 70 points if they.did. I can't understand why when VM lost there levels people start talking about regression and losing technics, but in WP case its all about judges controversy?
    And WP won FD so all is OK
    .Or they must got marks, like VM?
    I think part of the reason for people doubting the calling is that not only Weaver/Poje, but also Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier and Papadakis/Cizeron (all direct competitors to Russian teams) got level 1 and level 2 for their Finnstep sequences and step sequences. The Russians did not get very good levels either (no level 1, though), but their SD results were still better. Okay, P/C made other mistakes that we all saw.

I have to mention Staviski again - he did see mistakes in Finnstep sequences and step sequences of W/P, C/B, G/P and P/C, but not enough to make them level 1. He said nothing about the specific levels that were given, though, as he was too distracted by the other commentator to pay that much attention to the specific marks. As for Weaver/Poje, he saw a "questionable" choctaw in the second Finnstep sequence and one mistake in the step sequence. Other than that, he saw their execution as quite clean. I am not citing Staviski's opinion as the end all be all, as I realize that he probably didn't have a good angle on all steps, and he is not a judge either. But if he was right, then it would be level 4 and 3 for W/P's Finnstep sequences. He was right about the step sequence, as that one small mistake made it a level 3.

In any case, I think that W/P's level 4s in Finnstep sequences at Skate Canada is another reason that makes people doubt level 2 and level 1 at another competition. Okay, probably level 3s or level 3 and level 2, as it was Skate Canada and the callers seemed to be less strict, but level 2 and 1? To be truthful, Staviski didn't see enough mistakes in Monko/Khaliavin's and Riazanova/Tkachenko's Finnstep sequences and step sequences to warrant level 2 either (or he didn't mention everything he saw because those are Russian teams, and he is a coach for one of those teams). Perhaps the calling was just very strict overall in this GP, but it seems like it was even harsher on the non Russian teams.

As for the FD, I understand that Bobrova is overall a better skater than Weaver, so B/S deserve higher marks for their skating skills, but do they really deserve higher marks than W/P in all the other components too with this FD?
    Last edited by lauravvv; 11-24-2013 at 01:47 AM.

vCash
    The question posed to Buttle was whether V/M could catch up to D/W given the latter's 'perfect' skates. (No mention that SA's judging was off the map). Buttle said 'absolutely'. I don't know why the CBC is talking about V/M as though the Olympics is close to being lost. I think it's craziness - let these athletes compete for pity sake before handing out the medals. I didn't see B&S's SD to see if it was 7 points better than W&P, but their FP was definitely over marked - I thought it was awful, but that's just me. I agree with Pani that it seems V/M get treated unfairly by the media when it comes to these events, but I don't know why that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I think part of the reason for people doubting the calling is that not only Weaver/Poje, but also Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier and Papadakis/Cizeron (all direct competitors to Russian teams) got level 1 and level 2 for their Finnstep sequences and step sequences. The Russians did not get very good levels either (no level 1, though), but their SD results were still better. Okay, P/C made other mistakes that we all saw.

I have to mention Staviski again - he did see mistakes in Finnstep sequences and step sequences of W/P, C/B, G/P and P/C, but not enough to make them level 1. He said nothing about the specific levels that were given, though, as he was too distracted by the other commentator to pay that much attention to the specific marks. As for Weaver/Poje, he saw a "questionable" choctaw in the second Finnstep sequence and one mistake in the step sequence. Other than that, he saw their execution as quite clean. I am not citing Staviski's opinion as the end all be all, as I realize that he probably didn't have a good angle on all steps, and he is not a judge either. But if he was right, then it would be level 4 and 3 for W/P's Finnstep sequences. He was right about the step sequence, as that one small mistake made it a level 3.

In any case, I think that W/P's level 4s in Finnstep sequences at Skate Canada is another reason that makes people doubt level 2 and level 1 at another competition. Okay, probably level 3s or level 3 and level 2, as it was Skate Canada and the callers seemed to be less strict, but level 2 and 1? To be truthful, Staviski didn't see enough mistakes in Monko/Khaliavin's and Riazanova/Tkachenko's Finnstep sequences and step sequences to warrant level 2 either (or he didn't mention everything he saw because those are Russian teams, and he is a coach for one of those teams). Perhaps the calling was just very strict overall in this GP, but it seems like it was even harsher on the non Russian teams.

As for the FD, I understand that Bobrova is overall a better skater than Weaver, so B/S deserve higher marks for their skating skills, but do they really deserve higher marks than W/P in all the other components too with this FD?
    Is Bobrova really better than Weaver? She points her feet more and better than Weaver, but Weaver has better posture. Edge quality is a toss-up to me.

vCash
    Regarding this V/M Russian fan interview, it sounds like Scott and Max Trankov are buddies. Does anyone know what Tessa said after Scott answered that question? I couldn't hear it properly.

vCash
    Regarding this V/M Russian fan interview, it sounds like Scott and Max Trankov are buddies. Does anyone know what Tessa said after Scott answered that question? I couldn't hear it properly.
    I believe she said it was a dangerous friendship!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    I think people hear what they want to hear. Lane said she though W and P were underscored. The remarks about VM /DW included compliments to DW for being technically super - and to VM for great emotional impact. Also it was pointed out that DW start out the season in terrific form and stay that way throughout, but the VM improve more gradually. Yes, the Canadian commentators have a soft spot and high hopes for VM, but they take nothing away from DW.
    So they're not honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    The question posed to Buttle was whether V/M could catch up to D/W given the latter's 'perfect' skates. (No mention that SA's judging was off the map). Buttle said 'absolutely'. I don't know why the CBC is talking about V/M as though the Olympics is close to being lost. I think it's craziness - let these athletes compete for pity sake before handing out the medals. I didn't see B&S's SD to see if it was 7 points better than W&P, but their FP was definitely over marked - I thought it was awful, but that's just me. I agree with Pani that it seems V/M get treated unfairly by the media when it comes to these events, but I don't know why that is.
    Thanks bluegrass. Needless to say I disagree with the premise behind the question - that DW are perfect. Again, if they weren't N.A. the media would be screaming its head off, so would fans, and all based on the obvious - the base value of the lifts, the lack of skating in between the elements, the more elementary mechanics in the elements and the compensation all through the program that is so different from Virtue and Moir's interdependance.

It's funny because I thought B/S's fd was stronger than their short. The skating in the short was a hot mess. Dobriev was skidding and sliding all over the ice. He traveled a lot in that key point where his partner was the one who supposedly missed the hand hold. And her feet were sloppy. The actual skating in B/S's fd seemed more stable and controlled than in the sd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    I believe she said it was a dangerous friendship!
    Oh, that's what she said. I guess she means they could get in trouble together if the opportunity presented itself.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast