Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    F: Is figure skating [taking up] all your life?

S: Is it all my life? It’s pretty close right now. To be an elite athlete in any sport you really have to dedicate yourself. For us it’s been mainly figure skating up until this point.

F: There are probably other skaters/programs that you admire from the past. Were there any times that you wanted to dance [these programs]?

S: It’s a tough question. Generally, no. When we watch a great performance, we like to respect the artist and respect the skaters creativity. So it we are going to do it [skate to the same music] we want to do it completely different. So there were great Carmens before we did Carmen we tried to do something completely different. We really try and stay away from that

T: Get inspiration and appreciate it, but-

S: Like we couldn’t do a Bolero obviously. This year we kept listening to the music Somewhere in Time that Marie-France and Patrice skated to and it was beautiful. We connected to that music this year, but we just felt like we couldn’t do it; it was theirs.

T: We used it as our benchmark though because we listened to that piece and felt so emotionally connected to it and just loved it. So when ever we thought that maybe we had a piece that was close, we would listen to it and then listen to Somewhere in Time and see if it compared at all emotionally and usually it didn’t. So that was a good measuring stick for us to use.

S: But it’s giving the creators respect and we felt like you have to respect what has come before you.

vCash
    Thank you so much, cgirl8! Keep them coming

As for the comment, yes, she was joking. I think it makes sense that Valse Triste is her favorite given her dancing background.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Now that I have the full context it makes sense I guess. I haven't watched the video in full. Tessa seems so self-deprecating, she needs to believe more in herself.
    She was talking about the program, not about herself as a skater. So it would be the choreography that she was referencing as not on par with their later work.

vCash
    Er, she was providing a big enough exaggeration to explain just how much she loves Valse Triste. Hence the laughter afterwards.

vCash
    I love the thread title. They are indeed a legend. Unsurpassed quality skating.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    She was talking about the program, not about herself as a skater. So it would be the choreography that she was referencing as not on par with their later work.
    Or the other way round - their later work not on par with 'Valse Triste' .

It's a pity, though, that they couldn't mention 'Carmen' as one of their favorite programs. Must be because of how it turned out for them last season . I truly hope that after the disappointment of judges not appreciating it the way they hoped and not winning with it they don't feel like just writing it off as an unsuccessful experiment.

vCash
    F: What style of short dance do you like? What style of dance is your favorite?

T: I actually really enjoy the rhythm this year. It’s really cool because it’s so ballroom-y and classical dance and it is neat to transfer that to the ice … That’s a challenge, translating all of those techniques and things onto the ice. I was sort of hoping that [the short dance this year] would be a tango because it is a great compulsory dance, to work within that is always fun. I think this season has been really special and I am happy that we found the music that we did.

S: I do like the short dance or the original dance part of the program because it shows the differences between the skaters. It’s neat how the skaters can interpret a rhythm so differently. Tessa and I really like the foxtrot because of it’s intricacy, there’s a lot of good music. I don’t love the waltzes and stuff, it’s a little bit slower and not as entertaining for the public. I prefer something that’s a little more entertaining, more edgy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cgirl8 View Post
    F: What style of short dance do you like? What style of dance is your favorite?

T: I actually really enjoy the rhythm this year. It’s really cool because it’s so ballroom-y and classical dance and it is neat to transfer that to the ice … That’s a challenge, translating all of those techniques and things onto the ice. I was sort of hoping that [the short dance this year] would be a tango because it is a great compulsory dance, to work within that is always fun. I think this season has been really special and I am happy that we found the music that we did.

S: I do like the short dance or the original dance part of the program because it shows the differences between the skaters. It’s neat how the skaters can interpret a rhythm so differently. Tessa and I really like the foxtrot because of it’s intricacy, there’s a lot of good music. I don’t love the waltzes and stuff, it’s a little bit slower and not as entertaining for the public. I prefer something that’s a little more entertaining, more edgy.
    Thank you so much, cgirl8. As I am not a native English speaker it was a bit difficult for me to understand everything, so your transcription is really helpful.

vCash
    Hopefully this will clear up an remaining confusion:

F: What’s your favorite dance out of all of the ones that you have done yourselves?

S: [pointing to Tessa] Valse Triste for her. 2007.

T: [pointing to Scott] Mahler or Umbrellas.

F: What about the samba?

S: It’s up there. That one, it’s funny because we relate to that one personally. That was a hard year because of Tessa’s surgery and we love that program, but it never really got to the level that we wanted it to get to. When we look back on videos it’s funny because we appreciate different things from each program and it’s kind of neat to look back. Sometimes we look back and think “Man, we were good in 2007. What are we doing now?”

T: I think we keep getting worse. [laughing]
    Last edited by cgirl8; 11-21-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    It's not that they're regressing per se, it's just that Davis & White is just progressing, technically and artistically, at just an impressive rate.

vCash
    cgirl8, really enjoyed reading about the interviews, appreciate the time you've taken to transcribe them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplimentsFrom View Post
    It's not that they're regressing per se, it's just that Davis & White is just progressing, technically and artistically, at just an impressive rate.
    HA HA HA HA, they wish.

vCash
    Thank you sooooooooooo much cgirl8!!!!!! My italian fellow thread and me really really appreciate your work!!!!! <3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Or the other way round - their later work not on par with 'Valse Triste' .
    I stand corrected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplimentsFrom View Post
    It's the judging that has changed, not the skating.

vCash
    It's a bit of both. Like I said the other day, the system is very shallow now. There are things that are defining in ice dance that the judges are completely overlooking. Well, not really overlooking, as the system isn't exactly designed to take them in count. In that way, the judging has become mediocre, just as ice dancing, sadly, has too. A team like V-M, which ambitious steps and transitions, not to mention much superior dancing skills, should be getting recognized for them, but when you limit the scoring to black-and-white levels and then you even can't reward superior edges and in-hold difficulty, you're holding the good ones back, instead of adapting the system to a much superior rulebook because a team has proven that more can be done.

Anyway, cgirl8, our offcial transcriber Did you hear what this fan told them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM-24h8WMOg#t=917?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    It's the judging that has changed, not the skating.
    Yes. Especially with the removal of the CD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Yes. Especially with the removal of the CD.
    Exactly.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    HA HA HA HA, they wish.
    Maybe not wished it, but they definitely worked on it. And goddamn, can you see the results already.

vCash
    Am I the only one who thinks Tessa and Scott should replace the Tchaikovsky twizzles with Scriabin allegro? Maybe that will light up the program bit more. When they moved the twizles in their SD and edited the music I felt that their SD lightened up more. Speaking of their SD I really love this picture https://pp.vk.me/c418317/v418317791/...jn4BANkO-k.jpg

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast