Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

According to The Skating Lesson, Gracie is getting a new SP.

I don't know how I feel about this with it only being 3 months til the Olympics. I thought the FP was much more problematic-- of course it is much longer and fixing it now would be more taxing than just fixing the SP.

vCash
    It was a good program and she got good PCS for it. Crazy decision, IMO, given it's only 2 months until US Nationals.

vCash
    Can I ask where you found that information on The Skating Lesson? Am I missing something? I haven't seen anything new on their site recently, in fact I've been hoping to see a new This&That.
    Kathryn

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn2001 View Post
    Can I ask where you found that information on The Skating Lesson? Am I missing something? I haven't seen anything new on their site recently, in fact I've been hoping to see a new This&That.
    It is on their Facebook page. I know, I'm embarrassed too for still using Facebook.

vCash
    Not the most relevant point but the music was so hideous, I am kind of glad but agree that it's a tad risky. She'll probably just change the music and leave the lay out pretty much the same. I mean how much choreography is there in a short prog nowadays anyway, when the spins and the footwork take so long. I hope she debuts it somewhere before nationals though, cus that would be madness.

vCash
    It's funny how TSL seems to think they're speaking for everyone by behaving like no one else liked the music and it's so great that Gracie dumped it. It's also funny to see some acting like Gershwin was some hack composer. Yeah even geniuses produce mediocre work but Three Preludes is a great work, and I'm not much of a jazz fan. Gracie's program wasn't great but it had potential to be great. Such a shame that she's caving in to the fuddyduddys who won't be happy until she's skating to something generic and safe like Legends of the Fall or Malaguena.

Hey, is this the first Olympics where we won't see Malaguena by anyone?

Banned Member
    vCash
    Yeah, can we stop it with the "This is not an Olympic program" gripe? Yeah, it's called trying to be push yourself and do something innovative for once for the worldwide audience. Maybe that's why I'm starting to love Volosozhar/Trankov's Jesus Christ Superstar program.

And I thought Gold's SP music was alright; it was different, and different wasn't bad in this case. Regardless, it suits her.

vCash
    The violin version of Three Preludes was actually used by Katia Gordeeva for Stars on Ice during her early pro years, also choreographed by Marina Zueva. Untraditional choice for Gordeeva as well, but I thought it actually made for quite an interesting and charming program. (See http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...preludes_music or http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33...preludes_sport) Unfortunately, I don't think Gracie was able to carry off such a piece of music as successfully. Perhaps it would've improved as the season went along, but in my opinion, not the worst idea to get a new program.
    Last edited by marysy; 11-20-2013 at 07:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post

Hey, is this the first Olympics where we won't see Malaguena by anyone?
    I believe Elizaveta Tuktamysheva is skating to it in her short program unless she too drops it last minute ( one can hope But I think it's actually a nice choice for her style of skating ).

vCash
    Thank goodness - Zueva is not infallible & Three Preludes in the violin arrangement is a horrendous piece of music.

Yesterday, I was just watching Balanchine's Who Cares? ballet, to popular Gershwin melodies, and was thinking to myself, "Why on earth can't Gracie Gold perform to any of the 20+ tunes in this ballet, rather than that awful Three Preludes?" Any of the female solos in that ballet would make a delightful SP, when translated to the ice. 'Stairway to Paradise,' for example.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Thank goodness - Zueva is not infallible & Three Preludes in the violin arrangement is a horrendous piece of music.

Yesterday, I was just watching Balanchine's Who Cares? ballet, to popular Gershwin melodies, and was thinking to myself, "Why on earth can't Gracie Gold perform to any of the 20+ tunes in this ballet, rather than that awful Three Preludes?" Any of the female solos in that ballet would make a delightful SP, when translated to the ice. 'Stairway to Paradise,' for example.
    Three Preludes is a wonderful composition. It jusr does not lend itself well to skating competitive programs. It seems better suited for a show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolore View Post
    I believe Elizaveta Tuktamysheva is skating to it in her short program unless she too drops it last minute ( one can hope But I think it's actually a nice choice for her style of skating ).
    Lucky for Fenway2 Tuktamysheva probably wont compete there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn2001 View Post
    FYI they announced on facebook that due to lack of time they will not be doing NHK, TEB and Cup of Russia recaps and will do one after the GP final. The recaps are replacing "this and that" during the GP season.

vCash
    I'm puzzled by TSL. The went out all gangbusters for about 4 or 5 months and now they're just too busy? Somethings wrong there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    I'm puzzled by TSL. The went out all gangbusters for about 4 or 5 months and now they're just too busy? Somethings wrong there.
    It's called work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's called work.

I agree with other posters. Even though I really disliked the music, her SP was less boring to watch than her LP. I literally fell asleep watching her LP on TV one day haha...
    I also don't know if putting time in to learn a new SP is where time should be spent...she has other areas to improve on, and this isn't a wise use of it. Even if she gets a new SP, I doubt it would make as much of a difference in her marks than working on the other technical areas/artistry and presentation.

vCash
    I think this is good news as I'm not a fan of Gershwin. I can't wait to hear what she will be skating too.

vCash
    I mean, I admired that she went for something that was not twinkly-princess music, though the music was grating (my ears are grateful for the change!).

Here's to hoping though that she doesn't end up going that route now. Of the two programs, I would have preferred an LP change personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    Not the most relevant point but the music was so hideous, I am kind of glad but agree that it's a tad risky. She'll probably just change the music and leave the lay out pretty much the same. I mean how much choreography is there in a short prog nowadays anyway, when the spins and the footwork take so long. I hope she debuts it somewhere before nationals though, cus that would be madness.
    To be fair, the original is quite wonderful- here is Gershwin playing his pieces. Sounds so much more accessible, jazzy and lovely. http://youtu.be/soEUH4H7gog
    The violin version is problematic for ice rinks- violins in general often sound screechy if the sound system is not of high quality, and in Gracie's version I felt that the "early jazz" quality was lost. The SP started to grow on me as the year progressed, but I cannot say I bemoan Gracie's change. Would love to know what the new music is. Hopefully not TOO conventional.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    They are doing it basically for free, so we should be happy to get whatever they are able or decide to do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast