Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    I love this interview with Rafael Arutunian. I think I'm in love with Rafael too! I always thought he seemed like a very warm, sincere and supportive coach in the kiss n' cry (when I saw him with Michelle Kwan and Nathan Chen, and more recently with Adam and Ashley). I think Rafael is attractive too with a generosity and kindness that comes through even over the television. He always seemed very modest and understated, and this interview confirms those qualities. I think it's also apparent what a good coach he is.

I was hoping to hear in the interview some anecdotes about Rafael's coaching relationship with Sasha Abt! In any case, there's plenty of insightful and heartwarming comments there re Buttle, Kwan and Asada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    What does that mean?
    That is not just a Russian saying, other cultures have it too: you're able to get through rain drops without getting wet, which means you don't march straight ahead to your goal, because on a direct path you would get wet. Fathers would say to kids: "It's raining? Go through raindrops!".

Basically, I think Arutunian meant Buttle wasn't perceived as a strongly deserving world champion, but rather someone who was good enough to capitalize on the given scenario.

I don't think the saying has necessarily a negative connotation (as the previousle used word "sneaky" would suggest), but it definitely suggests something didn't happen on a straight pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I love this interview with Rafael Arutunian. I think I'm in love with Rafael too! I always thought he seemed like a very warm, sincere and supportive coach in the kiss n' cry (when I saw him with Michelle Kwan and Nathan Chen, and more recently with Adam and Ashley). I think Rafael is attractive too with a generosity and kindness that comes through even over the television. He always seemed very modest and understated, and this interview confirms those qualities. I think it's also apparent what a good coach he is.
    It's amazing how different impressions can be.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I was hoping to hear in the interview some anecdotes about Rafael's coaching relationship with Sasha Abt! In any case, there's plenty of insightful and heartwarming comments there re Buttle, Kwan and Asada.
    I referred to this earlier, have Asada ever told that story?

vCash
    I think that Rafael's integrity and competency allows for him to be tough as well. When he greets Ashley and Jeremy at the boards, you can hear his comments and they are usually to the effect of " why did you screw that up/you didnt do what we planned". I noticed that his critiques in the kiss and cry are not diminished just because the camera's are rolling. Last year, it seemed like Jeremy was still getting used to his direct approach and now it seems like He and Ashley love "Rafi" as they call him. To me, his changes in Ashley and Jeremy have been the most noticeable of any coaching changes in the past 5 years or so. My respect for him is huge. I also like that he believes in things like professional courtesy and not blabbing negative things about skaters to the press. What is not to love?

What if he and someone like Tom Dickson teamed up?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    After Ashley's FS at TEB he greeted her with "You were nervous, I could tell" and "You didn't have to be nervous" or "you had nothing to be nervous about," can't recall exactly.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    arakwafan2006, you mean Adam and not Jeremy, right?

From J-C Berlot's Day 4 TEB notes for IN:
    "Raf"
    Never had the author of these lines heard Mr. Arutunian be called by a nickname, so big is his prestige in the skating community. Never, until Ashley Wagner started talking of her new coach that way.

"Oh no?" Wagner asked in her usual candid way, all eyes wide open. Then she started laughing: "This should be credited to Adam [Rippon] (who is also coached by "Raf")! He started!"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    I referred to this earlier, have Asada ever told that story?
    As long as I remember, no. And this is the first time to hear about this from Artunian. That makes this interview so impressive. I remember something that loulou said on the bottom of the post was told in an article(or a book). Reportedly Kyoko(Mao's mother) said they waited for his arrival in Japan but he didn't go. And also they were told by Artunian that he couldn't because he had things to protect in Lake Arrowhead. This is the only thing that Asada's family mentioned to the split. Till I read this interview(thank you for your translation, quiqui!), I thought they had something on their contract to keep the situation a secret when they split. But now I think it was not their contract but their thoughtfulness that made them keep silent about their split. Kyoko passed away and Artunian might think this is the time to talk about the situation. If he talked about the situation before Kyoko's death, paparazzi rushed Mao when she was in the process of her reworking on her basics. Now she is coming back to her top level and this is her final season. Love him.
    Last edited by rosewood; 11-22-2013 at 01:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    He's totally right about the point system, which is why I am always amused at the Lysacek/Plushenko debates. Evan knew how to work the system and Evgeny didn't even try to.
    I really hope someone can answer this question because I honestly can't remember anymore. Plushenko won the 2006 Olympics by over 27 points. Was he better at working the system then? What happened between 2006 and 2010? I don't follow men's skating very closely so hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

vCash
    Interesting read. Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I really hope someone can answer this question because I honestly can't remember anymore. Plushenko won the 2006 Olympics by over 27 points. Was he better at working the system then? What happened between 2006 and 2010? I don't follow men's skating very closely so hopefully someone can clear this up for me.
    imo Plushenko's jump quality was not as much there in the FS in Vancouver (he got dinged on GOE, it was mostly just tilted scratchy landings instead of his usual flowy solid landings.). Personally I think that Plushenko got a bit better at working the system by 2010 while everyone else got A LOT better at working the system. A skater like Evan closed the gap, and it just took a few bobbly jumps by Plushenko and a slew of perfect landings by Lysacek and there's history.

That's my take.

vCash
    Thanks, CBD.

vCash
    He did a 3 jump combo in Turin but didn't in Vancouver! He never did a 3 jump combo in the 2009-2010 season. He did 2 jumps in the bonus in Turin but 3 in Vancouver. Was able to do a level 4 step sequence in 2006 but not 2010. Seems like he did way more in 2006 to win than 2010. But in 2010 as in 2006 only skater to do all quads and 3a attempted successfully. Way more skaters in 2010 were doing 3/5 layout and all jumps available to do. The changes post Turin gave more points to spins and steps but quads as well but most men had stopped training and doing them because landing one short could get you only 1 point! so way more focus was put on doing the lysacek model of quadless program. Right for the win but really pathetic.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    In Russian, there is an expression "to go between raindrops (to go through the rain and stay dry)", which means, essentially, "to achieve something sneakily", but I am not sure if this is what Arutunian have meant, because he is quoting some American commentator, so maybe something was lost in translation there.
    Ah, ok. Interesting expression.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    In Russian, there is an expression "to go between raindrops (to go through the rain and stay dry)", which means, essentially, "to achieve something sneakily", but I am not sure if this is what Arutunian have meant, because he is quoting some American commentator, so maybe something was lost in translation there.
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that - Jeff capitalized on other people's mistakes and managed to win without a quad, because if everyone had skated clean, he likely wouldn't have won. It implies that Jeff is not a top-notch skater, which IMO is untrue, but it's very likely he wouldn't have won without a quad if others had skated their best. But that's competition for you....

vCash
    I have always heard of "walking through raindrops" as someone who can be in a situation the rest of us might find dangerous, but who just always seems to come out unscathed. I kind of took it to mean Buttle just delivered the program in spite of pressure etc...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that - Jeff capitalized on other people's mistakes and managed to win without a quad, because if everyone had skated clean, he likely wouldn't have won.
    Except the other skaters couldn't do their programs cleanly: the ones that were doing quads in those years traded off things like quad-filled fast starts only to peter at the end of the program, or were able to land quads, but not 3A's cleanly in general, or landed some jumps, but had weak programs.

There are few skaters like Plushenko who could wipe out on a jump and still win a World Championship FS against a very strong competitor -- Joubert in probably his finest FS performance -- because "We all know Plushenko lands the 3Lo 99% of the time, and it was just a fluke accident that he lost his footing on the take-off," and that was under 6.0, not CoP.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that - Jeff capitalized on other people's mistakes and managed to win without a quad, because if everyone had skated clean, he likely wouldn't have won. It implies that Jeff is not a top-notch skater, which IMO is untrue, but it's very likely he wouldn't have won without a quad if others had skated their best. But that's competition for you....
    At those worlds, Brian skated pretty spectacularly (only did 1 quad, though), but Jeff still managed to beat him by 10 points in the LP alone (actually having lower PCS than Brian but winning on the TES, which was the bigger shocker). So I think that proves that Jeff is a very top notch skater, no matter the jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    There were no lights out skates from the contenders in 2006. Jeff came 2nd in the LP with a fall on the quad, popped loop and some shakiness. Lambiel was only 4th in the LP. That changed in 2010.

vCash
    to walk between raindrops meaning to successfully maneuver between a barrage of dangers without sustaining damage. Literally to walk between raindrops without getting wet.

vCash
    Plushy built a huge lead after the short in Turin, particularly on the men who ended up on the podium with him.

He was the only man to do both a 4-3 combo AND a 3a. Sandhu, Lambiel and Zhang (?) all did a 2a or a popped the axel altogether, negating the points they earned from their 4-3.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Plushy built a huge lead after the short in Turin, particularly on the men who ended up on the podium with him.

He was the only man to do both a 4-3 combo AND a 3a. Sandhu, Lambiel and Zhang (?) all did a 2a or a popped the axel altogether, negating the points they earned from their 4-3.
    This was also the case in Vancouver. Weir was very clean in the sp and he got 80 and plushenko 90 then in Vancouver all the weir skates were tied with plushenko in the sp.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234