Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I always did wonder what happened between his and Mao's relationship. Makes a lot more sense now.

vCash
    That was for a long time unsure for fans, too...I cried a little bit.
    Thank you for posting and translations.

vCash
    I enjoyed this interview very much, thank you for sharing it.
    I didn't know or remember that Sasha trained with Rafael prior to switching to Tatiana. Also, it appears Mr. Nicks has a soft spot for Rafael, which I totally respect.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    So at the end, is he saying that judges turn a blind eye/don't penalize Mao enough for under-rotations because she's a figure skating star?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    So at the end, is he saying that judges turn a blind eye/don't penalize Mao enough for under-rotations because she's a figure skating star?
    I don't feel this is what he meant because it doesn't follow what he says right before. If he feels she should be penalized more for it, why would he ask to see the protocol, when first asked about it. Rather, it appears he is defending her. Actually, I suspect he might be saying the opposite. She is being singled out because of her star status.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Rafael Arutunian interview with Elena Vaitsekhovskaya: "I know that Plushenko knows…"
    We need a tight rope emoticon.

vCash
    Basically, he says "she may or may not underrotate, but it isn't reflected in protocols"

vCash
    Basically, he says "she may or may not underrotate, but it isn't reflected in protocols"
    I tried reading the original interview with a translator and don't feel this is what he meant. When the interviewer asked him about Mao's UR issue, he asked to see the protocol. Then went on to say that it's a problem experienced by a lot of skaters. It's also weird for him to say it isn't reflected in protocols since when Mao was his student, he strongly defended her against tech calls given to her by judges. He was obviously aware at that time that it was reflected in her protocols. I get the feeling that the interviewer was asking him to say something negative at the end about a former student but Rafael handled it quite well and deserves respect.

vCash
    My takeaway from him re: UR is that it's always too close to call and in the mercy of the caller or panel. Which is true. And sometimes it also depends on whether the panel is particularly strict or generous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    After all, Rafael is a coach of Wagner who did not get '<' call at TEB LP 3-3(twofoot 3F-ur 3T).
    It is not easy having a strong opinion about URs.
    He is not at position of Mishin.
    Last edited by t.mann; 11-21-2013 at 06:05 AM.

vCash
    He's totally right about the point system, which is why I am always amused at the Lysacek/Plushenko debates. Evan knew how to work the system and Evgeny didn't even try to. Simple as that. Great interview. Thanks for posting.

vCash
    Rafael Arutunian interview with Elena Vaitsekhovskaya: "I know that Plushenko knows…"

http://www.sport-express.ru/velena/reviews/38117/
    "Skaters call me like 911 - when everything is beyond bad".
    Well, that has indeed happened quite a few times.

Thanks a lot for posting quiqie.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    So do I -- but I know there are some who would strongly disagree with his idea of a quad jump being the cherry atop the cake and not one of the essential ingredients for a successful one.
    Arutunian said the CoP states how you can make points, as long as you add up the most points, it doesn't really matter what ingredients you put in. And if the figure skating environment doesn't like how the CoP is being exploited, they can always change that by changing the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Now his comments against the judges marking Asada down for underrotations and edge calls when he was coaching her makes more sense: maybe he was saying, you can find those mistakes from most skaters for difficult elements, so why single her out?
    I think at the beginning of that season he went as far as saying he wouldn't have reworked Asada's flawed jumps, and he might have backed this up by saying that one cannot grow a skater under a system, and then demand a change.

If my memory serves me right, I think he was wrong: the old system never said a lutz took off from an inside edge, even though it didn't penalize it (enough). Having a good reason to improve technique is good, it's how progresses are made (both from skaters and coaches); though I understand some skaters took a bigger, unexpected, hit than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    My takeaway from him re: UR is that it's always too close to call and in the mercy of the caller or panel. Which is true. And sometimes it also depends on whether the panel is particularly strict or generous.
    What I find unfair is that not every jump from every skater is reviewed. I understand it would take time, but nonetheless everyone should get the same treatment: either you review every jump from everyone, or you make your calls live for everyone.

Didn't Asada say something (in a book, perhaps?) about the parting with Arutunian? I sort of remember she said they agreed he was going to Japan, but then he didn't. Am I recalling wrong?
    Last edited by loulou; 11-21-2013 at 05:11 PM.

vCash
    I felt Rafael did what a good coach would have done to defend his skater. There were many skaters affected by the stricter UR/edge issues including Mao, but I don't remember any other skater having a whole segment devoted to discussing a wrong edge problem like what happened to Mao before the LP at Skate Canada in 2007. As her coach at the time, he chose to speak up about the issue. Coaches protect their skaters in many ways. I remember an interview that was posted on Julia L's coach. She gave her opinions on other skaters, including the top 3, but all discussion regarding her pupil was off limits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I felt Rafael did what a good coach would have done to defend his skater. There were many skaters affected by the stricter UR/edge issues including Mao, but I don't remember any other skater having a whole segment devoted to discussing a wrong edge problem like what happened to Mao before the LP at Skate Canada in 2007.
    Mao was the strongest skater in the field that was going to be heavily affected by the changes, I suppose that's why they talked about her more. And I think she ended up being affected, even in her confidence, after being constantly called out. I think the CoP change had an impact on her career.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Aruturian sounds like a stand up guy. Thanks for posting!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Cohen left anyway - first to Tatiana Tarasova, then to Robin Wagner, then went back to Nicks, then quit skating altogether. After some time she called me and asked if I would help her prepare to Vancouver Games. Started training, but then changed her mind. She said she didn't have as much time as I thought was necessary.
    Well well. I guess that explains everything.

And I was rather hurt to read one of American journalist who had written that Jeffrey went between raindrops and finished first.
    What does that mean?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think it means some people believed that Buttle snuck in to the top of the podium through the back door, like he did at one competition where he skated badly, but the ordinals were all over the place giving him the win, which shocked him, from his reaction in KnC. (A GP or 4C's. I remember thinking a young Lysacek should have won that competition, and I barely knew who EL was.).

Buttle was an inconsistent jumper and had suffered a back injury, but he was the reigning Olympic bronze medalist and did well even when his jumps were off. He never got that respect, and Arurunian was trying to say he went out directly and outskated everyone and earned his title.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    What does that mean?
    In Russian, there is an expression "to go between raindrops (to go through the rain and stay dry)", which means, essentially, "to achieve something sneakily", but I am not sure if this is what Arutunian have meant, because he is quoting some American commentator, so maybe something was lost in translation there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think he may have used the Russian metaphor to describe what the American journalist was saying. It's also possible that Michelle Kwan didn't use that exact syntax in her tea comment
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    If your program is as horrible as Nathan chens who cares how many jumps he does in the last minute! Once he gets to 2:00 his program is horrible jump after jump. There is no program at 2 minutes. It's a jump drill. He spends two minutes doing 2 double axels and doing some spins and steps than mugs awfully so there can be massive bonus abuse and the worst most unbalanced program of all time! Artunian just created the worst cop monster program of all time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast