Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Happy Macy's Day Parade everybody!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Actually heard a radio DJ call it the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade.

vCash
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

vCash
    Enjoy your celebrations!
    I'm thankful for all my friends here.

vCash
    Has anyone brined a turkey before?

I'm having my first orphan Thanksgiving with a bunch of my fellow law school buddies, and I insisted on being in charge of the turkey. I'm using Alton Brown's recipe, and after making a big to-do (with my friends) about how brining makes a difference, I was really talking out of my butt because I'm not sure whether if it actually does since this is my first time doing it.

This lady doesn't think anything makes a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foA0MGUbYH0
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Happy Thanks giving to all my American FSU friends

vCash
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

I'm having my first orphan Thanksgiving
    You need to brine a turkey like overnight, just a few hours probably won't make a difference.

I am having a truly "orphan" Thanksgiving. I was invited a few places, but am coming down with a cold. Better to stay home and not spread my germs. It sucks in one sense as it is always fun to gorge and giggle with my friends, but this way I will eat a lot less. I made chicken and potatoes. Close enough to turkey and stuffing. Plus I began assembling my HUGE Christmas tree. Somehow I have assembles 2/3 of it and already run out of strings of lights. I guess in my decongestant haze I have wired up a lot more than normal. I really think it's awful to have store open on Thanksgiving, but I may be terrible and go out to Walgreens for some more cold medicine and a few more strings of lights.

Hope everyone else is feeling better than me and can enjoy the holiday though!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    You need to brine a turkey like overnight, just a few hours probably won't make a difference.

I am having a truly "orphan" Thanksgiving. I was invited a few places, but am coming down with a cold. Better to stay home and not spread my germs. It sucks in one sense as it is always fun to gorge and giggle with my friends, but this way I will eat a lot less. I made chicken and potatoes. Close enough to turkey and stuffing. Plus I began assembling my HUGE Christmas tree. Somehow I have assembles 2/3 of it and already run out of strings of lights. I guess in my decongestant haze I have wired up a lot more than normal. I really think it's awful to have store open on Thanksgiving, but I may be terrible and go out to Walgreens for some more cold medicine and a few more strings of lights.

Hope everyone else is feeling better than me and can enjoy the holiday though!
    I did it for like 10 hours. You think that's good?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I did it for like 10 hours. You think that's good?
    Yes, you don't want to do it too long or too much salt gets absorbed. Good luck on you cooking!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I never watch the "Macy's parade" anymore, but I turned on the t.v. about 11 a.m. and there was John Rzeznik and the Goo Goo Dolls (on a float). Great timing!!!!!

Back in the day, they used to have the whole Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on one channel and part of that one along with ones from different cities on another channel. Wasn't one called the "Santa Claus parade" from Detroit or something? Or was it from Canada? Been a long time..........................

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Hope everyone here from US had a nice Thanksgiving. I was with family today and we gave thanks for our many blessings which we have received throughout the year. <3
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash

I'm having my first orphan Thanksgiving with a bunch of my fellow law school buddies, and I insisted on being in charge of the turkey. I'm using Alton Brown's recipe, and after making a big to-do (with my friends) about how brining makes a difference, I was really talking out of my butt because I'm not sure whether if it actually does since this is my first time doing it.
    We have been brining turkeys for about five years now and would never cook a turkey any other way. It makes a huge difference in terms of moistness and flavour, and the turkey freezes much better than non-brined turkey.

We brine for about 24 hours. We follow a recipe that is lighter on the salt than some others. And the salt is the important thing - some recipes will include a spices, or liquids other water (i.e. apple cider brine). Sometimes I throw in a bay leaf and some peppercorns, but as I said, it's the salt that matters.

And remember to rinse the bird thoroughly. If you stuff - which you can do if you have a lower salt content brine - go very easy on the salt, or use none at all. The bird will be a bit salty even after rinsing, so adding any more salt to your stuffing or the liquid in which you cook your bird can be overkill.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    we don't eat turkey usually as its dry - only usually like the legs and wings.. but this brining sounds interesting.. maybe we should try that? For us our celebration dinners are usually leg of lamb or duck..

By the way Happy Thanksgiving my neighbours to the south
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I make my turkey on Sunday, since we go out on Thanksgiving. I will only do a turkey breast, since my family likes white meat. What i do is make little cuts in the skin and push tiny bits of butter into them. then I rb the skiing with sea salt and cracked pepper. I put it in without covering it, until the skin gets brown, then I tent it with tin foil. I do add some turkey broth to the roasting pan, about half way through, to get more gravy.

vCash
    I've done the brining and it helps with moisture but I've never gotten it not to be too salty - but we're not big on salty. This year I did a bone in breast - standing rib roast style. Let the bird sit at room temp for an hour. Roast in 500 degree oven for 20 min. Finish roasting at 325 until temp hits 160. Let stand for 20 min. This is now my go to turkey recipe. Thank God, cause I use to dread doing the turkey every year. This version was easy peasy and pretty fool proof in terms of getting a moist bird with crispy skin.

One year though, I'm going to do a turducken.
    What would Jenny do?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

What an awful name.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I've done the brining and it helps with moisture but I've never gotten it not to be too salty - but we're not big on salty. This year I did a bone in breast - standing rib roast style. Let the bird sit at room temp for an hour. Roast in 500 degree oven for 20 min. Finish roasting at 325 until temp hits 160. Let stand for 20 min. This is now my go to turkey recipe. Thank God, cause I use to dread doing the turkey every year. This version was easy peasy and pretty fool proof in terms of getting a moist bird with crispy skin.

Okay, I need to try that bone-in-breast roast. I always have trouble getting the legs to cook all the way through before the breast completely dries out, so this might be the way to go. Can you stuff the rib cavity?

We had turkey with neighbors yesterday, and today I am hosting prime rib at my house. The prime rib is cooked the same as your turkey -- hot oven to sear, then turned down to roast. If we do this again, we will put a rest day between the turkey and beef.

No way will I ever get near a turducken. The thought just makes me shudder.

vCash
    You might be able to get some stuffing in there but I'm not sure a whole lot would fit. Maybe with a really large breast. We like our stuffing toastie rather than wet, but I know lots of people like the wetter version you get from stuffing a turkey. So that would be a drawback to a breast only turkey. One year I did a boneless turkey breast where you butterfly it and roll it with stuffing. That was actually popular with the crowd but the drawback was the amount of work it took. Plus I could never really roll it evenly enough to make it look pretty.

I think half the reason I want to do a turducken is because of the name. Plus I'm a foodie so I am going to have to do it at least once.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I first read about Turducken in one of Paul Prudhomme's cookbooks.
    I understand the process.
    However, it doesn't make me want to make/eat it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast