Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving

vCash

Thanksgiving

Hi. I couldn't find any of those old threads about pet peeves and stuff, so I wanted to start this one now.

Does it drive anybody else crazy that so many people say they are watching the "Macy's Day parade". It's the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I know that is a lot of syllables, so maybe people could just say the Macy's parade. There are other parades on t.v. on Thanksgiving Day too.

This has bugged me for awhile because they say it on the news, on entertainment shows, on game shows, on sitcoms, wherever. I was reading a book last weekend and the character was talking about her family's Thanksgiving and said her uncle was watching the Macy's Day parade. This morning they were interviewing a woman on the local news who said their group has been in the Macy's Day parade. Uh, maybe Black Friday can be Macy's Day, but Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving is already getting pushed aside for shopping. And there have been Christmas decorations in the store since October. How can we get people to stop saying Macy's Day?

Thanksgiving is also the day that Alice's Restaurant is played on tons of radio stations around the country at noon. (FYI - It's an 18 minute Arlo Guthrie story song from the 70's about Thanksgiving and Vietnam!!!! If it doesn't play in your area, stream WTUE - 104.7 - in Dayton, OH at noon EST.)

Thanks for letting me vent.

vCash
    Thanksgiving is already getting pushed aside for shopping.
    Which I'm normally for, but even this Canadian finds the hours too early. There's a great deal on mini Ipads at Walmart but the store opens 6pm Thur. I'm already taking the Friday off, but I can't take Thursday off or leave work early. 9pm would've been perfect!

Hopefully, restaurants will be open too. Last time I went Black Friday shopping, only the occasional Starbucks was open.

vCash
    Thanksgiving & Chanukah for us this year. That means turkey + latkes (potato pancakes)!

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    If Groundhog Day didn't exist, Thanksgiving would be the suckiest.... holiday.... ever.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 11-19-2013 at 03:27 PM.

vCash
    I've never heard anyone refer to the parade as the "Macy's Day Parade."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    I have, plenty of times.

vCash
    I want to know more about the sale on iPad minis!

vCash
    http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Walmart/Ad

iPad Mini for $299 (regular price) but you also get a $100 Walmart gift card.

vCash
    Thanks manhn!

vCash
    Me neither.

vCash
    It's quite common. Greenday even has a song about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EL4njT8g98

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    me neither

i usually hear "thanksgiving parade" w/o the macy's or the day. i've never heard a person in real life say macy's, just people on tv.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Everyone should just watch this on Thanksgiving. Problem solved.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    To me, it has always been Macy's Parade. I think when I was younger, I might have called it Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade..but I've never been one for parades either live or on TV, so I can't remember what it is(was) called.

This parade is not about Thanksgiving but the beginning of the Christmas shopping. Self serving in nature, Macy's wants your business - they put on a parade to entice you to remember their name, to think how pretty or wonderful it is to have them provide "free" entertainment. Now all the "acts" lip sync anyway and everything is staged to happen at this particular point where cameras are set.

I guess I don't stress out about the name of a parade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    To me, it has always been Macy's Parade. I think when I was younger, I might have called it Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade..but I've never been one for parades either live or on TV, so I can't remember what it is(was) called.

This parade is not about Thanksgiving but the beginning of the Christmas shopping. Self serving in nature, Macy's wants your business - they put on a parade to entice you to remember their name, to think how pretty or wonderful it is to have them provide "free" entertainment. Now all the "acts" lip sync anyway and everything is staged to happen at this particular point where cameras are set.

I guess I don't stress out about the name of a parade.
    Sorry, it's just a pet peeve, like grammar things. Yeah, I don't care if anybody calls it the Macy's parade, because that is what it is. It's the "Macy's Day" parade that bugs me.

And I haven't watched any of them since they haven't really been parades anymore. Every time I even turn on the t.v. or switch to that channel to see one of the balloons or maybe catch a local band or group who is marching in it, they are showing some act being promoted in front of the announcers platform doing a whole stage show. Parade = bands, floats, balloons, moving......................(and Santa Claus at the end)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Hopefully, restaurants will be open too. Last time I went Black Friday shopping, only the occasional Starbucks was open.
    The restaurants around here have always been open the same as any Friday! You just cant get into the parking lots because of mall traffic. ha ha Just saw that the McDonald's a couple blocks from the mall will be open 24 hours on Thursday and Friday. Sheesh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Sorry, it's just a pet peeve, like grammar things. Yeah, I don't care if anybody calls it the Macy's parade, because that is what it is. It's the "Macy's Day" parade that bugs me.
    Well now that Thanksgiving is more about shopping than family, maybe we should call it Macy's Day.

(Although- I don't get the uproar about shopping: my family went to the movies almost every Thanksgiving growing up. Why no outroar for the movie theatre employees who have to work?)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone cooking, gorging, celebrating today!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Happy Thanksgiving, Americans! I'm going to visit family in Portland tomorrow. Besides Black Friday, my family will be forgoing the turkey and serving lamb and kangaroo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Yes, me too. I never called it Macy's Day Parade, but Macy's Parade, yes. I wonder if it has anything to do with being local? Or just differentiating Macy's Parade from the one in Philly, Hawaii, other cities?

Haven't watched much of it. It's on in the background. But, I did stop to watch Kristin Chenoweth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast