Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    There are some lower ranked teams that are at least trying to do concept-driven stuff - Zhiganshina/Gazsi obviously, and this season I'd also add Gilles/Poirier and Hurtado/Diaz. I agree that it's up to the individual teams to emphasize this if they find it important, though, since the IJS obviously doesn't. It's much more effective to channel your creativity into coming up with new lifts.
    I like these 3 dances as well. Notice that these are 3 of a very small number of elite teams not out of those Detroit dance factories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    I'll try! Each "part" represents a change in the music.

Part 1: The rose grows/ blooms and the Little Prince discovers it. This is kind of like a courting section - getting to know one another, a general fascination. Not a lot of story particulars to go through yet. (through about 1:19, this is the first section of music, which has a waltzy/ romantic feel to it.)

Part 2: In the story, the rose asks the prince to do things for her/ take care of her. The more he does, the more demanding she becomes. Notice Nathalie's arm movements throughout the step sequence - like she's telling him to do this and do that. Notice how when they're not in hold, he's behind her, and she's "leading." The more upbeat music in this section expresses the back and forth and push and pull of the relationship. (through about 2:06)

Part 3: Begins with him placing her down from the lift. In this section of the story the prince becomes tired of the rose's demands and becomes upset with her after she lies to him. Eventually they reconcile, but he leaves her to explore other planets. The sadder tone of this music represents the decline in the relationship. As far as movements, notice how Fabian turns away from her around 3:02 and looks toward other things. Then Nathalie (the rose) grabs him and pulls him back to her, he reaches away again, but stays with her. During the lift at 3:20, he's supporting her, but by the end of the section at 3:30, he's left her again to go explore.

Part 4: In this section the prince returns to his planet and his rose. During his travels he realized how much she means to him and that she truly is special, so he returns to take care of her. This is the most upbeat music, and the "happiest" section because both the prince and the rose have what they desire. Think of it as kind of frolicking about! (Although in the actual story, we don't know if the prince made it back to his planet.)

Disclaimer: This is my best effort to explain how I see it. I have no clue if this is how they see it, and I'm not offended if others have different opinions! But maybe this will help you?
    Thank you sooooo much or this, MissJD. I am familiar with the story but had not been able to match it to orresponding parts as you have. Wow! I watched it a few more times keeping what you said in mind, and i love it even more. Thanks again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Why anyone attempts to be creative under IJS, I don't even know. The backlash is basically always "I don't get it" (I'm not calling out you for this-- I know you are saying something more nuanced; it's what I've been generally picking up) and that's from the same people who turn around and decry that skaters use the same 10-20 pieces of music year in and year out.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    There are some lower ranked teams that are at least trying to do concept-driven stuff - Zhiganshina/Gazsi obviously, and this season I'd also add Gilles/Poirier and Hurtado/Diaz. I agree that it's up to the individual teams to emphasize this if they find it important, though, since the IJS obviously doesn't. It's much more effective to channel your creativity into coming up with new lifts.
    It is supposed to matter in theory if you look at some of the criteria for components or even the GOE (lifts not being in character of the music should warrant a deduction). The problem is, ISU doesn't seem be concerned about the problems of translating that theory into practice. At the moment there is a very big gap between the two.

If you look at the judging criteria for PCS for Ice Dance, you get this huge very detailed table. It gives you all of the information but it doesn't tell you anything about how to actually, practically make those judgements. What if a team meats most of the criteria for Choreography mark 7.00 but some only to an extent and one almost not at all (and you'd have to remember it in the first place )?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I must really be missing something when watching them. While it's not their most original work, it's a much stronger FD than what they have been doing over the past 2 seasons. I find them to be looking sharper and more polished this season. I actually think it's one of the stronger FDs this season. I see much more content and detail than what I have seen from a vast number of programs this year. If not for the extended lift, they would have gotten silver at TEB. They're hardly driftwood . I admit, I do feel like they are revisiting earlier ideas with this program.

But to be fair, this isn't the strongest year for dance all around as far as FD choreography goes .

I&K- I am not getting the love of I&K and their Black Swan. It's genuinely puzzling to me how a program filled with so many open moments, no real use of hold or close skating, and a lack of details /overall sloppiness is being touted as balletic, or an example of good posture in any way. It's generic Morosov junk

B&S -everyone can agree are just embarrassing to look at this season.

D&W- Generic , frantic, nothing of Scheherazade in anything they do. It's Samson and Delilah revisited, but Samson and Delilah had nicer music.

V&M- Beautiful, but bland, it's basically Mahler revisited...I think Mahler had nicer music.

C&L- Not a bad program. They've improved, but nothing remarkable .

W&P- I like the program. They have improved, but they're honestly too vanilla to really do the program any justice. I don't see Tango or Latin when I watch them.
    IMHO P&B are in good company.
    Right on! And to think that Nathalie and Fabien were criticized for using the same cookie cutter when almost everyone else is doing the same . Politicking before Olympics really ticks me off. P/B have two great programs .Period! The rest is up them ,how well they'll polish and make it faster and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    ...makes me feel like I'm trapped in a room in Lucille Ball's house being forced to watch 50's romance movies all day long in black and white with no popcorn or candy available and the faint smell of mothballs in the distance.
    Ah,the good black and white oldies

vCash
    After watching the SD, I cant help but notice that Fabian does not look very fit in general. The Twizzles were just... lets not even go there. I am sad for this team to be honest.

vCash
    I haven't seen it yet but I am sad just looking at where they are. I don't know what it is so far this season but you say Fabian doesn't look fit and maybe that's it. To me he's looked like he's already 'gone', like retired, like he knows what ther fate is and he doesn't want to waste his time with this anymore. I can't say I blame him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but I am sad just looking at where they are. I don't know what it is so far this season but you say Fabian doesn't look fit and maybe that's it. To me he's looked like he's already 'gone', like retired, like he knows what ther fate is and he doesn't want to waste his time with this anymore. I can't say I blame him.
    Not much Igor can do to help that. I hope that what you said is not true however

vCash
    I hope it's not true either and I'm sure if it it was it wouldn't be intentional. We know how hard last year was, we seen it in their faces that's not easily forgotten and it's hard to get motivated again and fight back especially after the career they've had, they aren't new to this and sometimes you've just had enough. I absolutely love them and I just want them to forget the judges, forget it all and just skate for themselves and their fans.

vCash
    Right. Even if they feel like they can't win a medal, they should go out like Delobel/Schoenfelder in the Vancouver OD and FD when they fell behind after the CD. Just enjoy the experience for what it is and give a performance you can be proud of when you re-watch it in a few decades.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Sometimes I think that ice dancing would be more interesting and fun if all the dancers did was twerk on the ice.

vCash
    So glad they were able to push up to 3rd at the GPF. 3rd place is where they belong. Those horrible, hunchbacked, flailing russians should be last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    So glad they were able to push up to 3rd at the GPF. 3rd place is where they belong. Those horrible, hunchbacked, flailing russians should be last.
    Let's take our victories where we can get them! This is a well-earned, important bronze for P/B. Fifth here would have been a brutal result.

vCash
    Clearly Fabian has decided to come out of retirement What a difference! I am so happy for them. They went out there and nailed it. That is the first time I can honestly say that I am liking this FD, I can see it, I can feel it, I am a fan! It's sure as hell is better that that sad FD B/S have been given. i feel bad for them but I really want this for P/B, and it looks like that Olympic medal ain't out of reach yet.

vCash
    I am soo excited for them! I thought they performed their FD really well and definitely deserved bronze! And I'm also glad people are warming up to their FD!

vCash
    They were so on today--I couldn't be more happy for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    They were so on today--I couldn't be more happy for them.
    I'm over the moon for them The FD is gorgeous.Fabian looked very happy inspecting his medal and he seemed to be impressed with the design or something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Yes! P/B deserve to be 3rd, for their extraordinary mature elegance combined with fresh and innovative ideas! I have loved French dance teams ever since i started to watch skating and they're living up to the expectations. I want them to snag that OBM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123