Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Irina Slutskaya's Influence?

Mere speculation and curiosity on my part. Does Irina deserve any credit for the embarrassment of riches in the Russian ladies discipline? It seems most of the Russian girls competing on the senior grand prix must have watched her while they were growing up. Have any of the Russian ladies cited her as an influence or reason why they started skating? Similarly has there been a big up-swell in young girls taking up figure skating in Korea since Yuna Kim's success?

vCash
    Maria Butyrskaya won the world title before Irina did, but Irina had success on world stage before Maria (in terms of being a medal contender and medal winner). I am sure both of them had an influence on the young girls at that time.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't know about Slutskaya but it certainly seems that at least Lipnitskaia and Sakhanovich had been watching another skater--Cohen.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I didn't mean to slight Maria. It's just that she won her world title in 1999, some skaters, like Julia and Anna, were infants. I assumed Irina had the greater influence on the current generation since she continued until 2006 and Maria was done by 2002. I'm sure they're both inspiring to all the girls, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Maria Butyrskaya won the world title before Irina did, but Irina had success on world stage before Maria (in terms of being a medal contender and medal winner). I am sure both of them had an influence on the young girls at that time.
    I have a strong feeling that the Russian girls having success right now in both Sr and Jr grew up watching more of Kim and Asada than they did Slutskaya and Butyrskaya.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't know about Slutskaya but it certainly seems that at least Lipnitskaia and Sakhanovich had been watching another skater--Cohen.
    I seem to recall Lipnitskaya saying in an interview something like she has never watched videos of other famous skaters.

vCash
    Yeah I see very, very few similarities between Julia and Sasha.

vCash
    I believe both Irina and Maria had an impact. However Irina had more IMO. She was a strong contender for a lot longer and to a much greater degree as well than Maria was. Young Russians saw with Irina you could not only win but win a lot.

vCash
    I think Irina had a huge impact on the sport across the board. She pushed the technical elements into the forefront, and Michelle transformed the artistic mark. Together they moved the sport ahead by leaps and bounds.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    IMO, Slutskaya's influence can't be limited to the skaters themselves, especially since the fall of Communism means that the government is no longer paying all expenses. I doubt that the parents of all the promising young Russians would not be so willing to pay for the training to be a ladies singles' skater if Maria and Irina (especially Irina) hadn't taught them that a high level of success was at least possible for a Russian skater. I say "especially Irina" because (a) she seems to have more success on the pro circuit than Maria, although that may be timing, and (b) Irina was the recipient of a large amount of Russian fan support when Sarah Hughes got the gold in 2002

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Let me count the ways: Russian/Russian roots, petite, uber flexible, elegant posture and carriage, 180 arabesque spiral, flutz, small jumps (which Julia lands more often than not while Sasha not so much), inward-directed style of skating, the fully extended I-spin (Jula's even more than Sasha's), fans of other skaters continuously whining about flexi/gumby moves that don't mean anything other than Look what I can do...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Around the corner prostituting the biellman
    vCash
    Irina's influence doesn't end only in Russia. There were couple of Japanese skaters,their names escapes me at the moment, cited her as an influence. For most of her career, Irina was competing in an era where American ladies were considered the standard. She was able to over come huge barriers to become #1. Aside from Irina's skating skills, I am sure the current Russian ladies are inspired by her derive, motivation, dedication and commitment to the sport.

vCash
    Let me count the ways: Russian/Russian roots, petite, uber flexible, elegant posture and carriage, 180 arabesque spiral, flutz, small jumps (which Julia lands more often than not while Sasha not so much), inward-directed style of skating, the fully extended I-spin (Jula's even more than Sasha's), fans of other skaters continuously whining about flexi/gumby moves that don't mean anything other than Look what I can do...
    Thanks for expanding on your original post. I agree with maybe half of your list, but overall, I don't see a strong resemblance. Oddly enough, Lip reminds me more of Olga Korbut than any figure skater.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    No problem. Who is Olga Korbut?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    ^The gymnast from the 1972 Olympics...?

I'm quite intrigued as to how Lip reminds fenway of Olga

vCash
    I miss the Slutskaya and Butyrskaya days. They were both such interesting skaters, in very different ways. The current crop might be able to jump well but (other than Radionova maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    IMO, Slutskaya's influence can't be limited to the skaters themselves, especially since the fall of Communism means that the government is no longer paying all expenses.
    Oh, it is. And not just the essential training fees. Higher ranked skaters don't even pay for their own lunch, get free accomodation and so on.

vCash
    I think russians adapted COP more than any other country for ladies. This is why they have so much junior and senior talent. One of the first talent of russia is Shepelen (1995). She has big combinations but no skating skills. They upgraded to Sotnikova (1996) who have big combinations and skating skills. Tuktamisheva punished for her spins so all junior girls worked for better spins. And of course there is flutz problem. Sotnikova punished for this so Lipnitskaia worked for her lutz. She only get one edge call at skate canada (out of 3 lutz) If you are a Russian you can't even get a JGP, If you don't have big combination, good spins and skating skills.

You can see Radionova/Lipnitskaia/Pogorilaya have 2A problems. Other upgrade could be with 2A.

vCash
    The question should be whether parents of these athletes where influenced by Irina and Maria, since I don't think at the age of 5 girls decide to do FS. The decision is taken by parents, also whether the popularity of skating shows have influenced this revival in russian skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    ^The gymnast from the 1972 Olympics...?

I'm quite intrigued as to how Lip reminds fenway of Olga
    There was a close up of Julia at the start of her Schindler's List where the camera focused on her sad, pig-tailed face and I gasped because she looked so much Olga. I won't be surprised if some announcer makes a comparison during the Olympics. I'm old though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Cohen always, always finished off her moves. Not so much for Lip.

Cohen had a much better 2axel.

Cohen was about 4000% more musical and expressive.

vCash
    I agree.
    I don't see anything in those ladies girls from Irina Slutskaya. They don't have the same qualities (big high jumps with great tehcnique), and they don't imitate her style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast