Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

vCash
    Machida

Cohen or Lipnitskaya

vCash
    Lipnitskaya

Cross country skiing or downhill skiing?

vCash
    Downhill

snowboarding or luge

vCash
    Luge

Curling or Hockey?

vCash
    Hockey

ski jumping or downhill skiing?

vCash
    ski jumping

Short track or Speed skating?

vCash
    I tend to find Machida more compelling.

Definitely short track

Do you perform/work better under pressure?
    Eys
    Non

vCash
    Non.

Same question.

vCash
    Depends on what it is

Are we wuzrobbed of falling_dance's Olympic Season Men's SP breakdownz??
    Nah,
    Yahhhhhh

vCash
    Nah ( I don't have a clue to what you are talking about)

Olympics - Opening ceremonies or Closing ceremonies?

vCash
    Opening ceremonies of course.

2010 Olympic medals or 2014 Olympic medals?

vCash
    2014 Olympic medals.

Are you excited for the team event?

Eys
    Non

vCash
    Eys (I am surprised by my own answer)- it means more skating, and sooner.

Mountains or Beaches?

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Beaches.

Per siouxdonym's request, my crankish, unfair round-up and ranking of twelve men's short programs we can expect to see in Sochi (choose the verdict you find least objectionable):

Jeremy Abbott, "Lillies of the Valley" - Just brilliant. Not only does it take full advantage of Abbott's lanky elegance, it even makes virtues of his relative deficiencies (self-consciousness, good-but-not-great edges, knees that can bend but would rather not). He's not flying through dream space (of which the ice is only an illusory horizontal bisector), but he is a gifted dancer on a pretty uncompromising surface. One of my top five short programs of all time, in any discipline.

Daisuke Takahashi, "Sonatina for Violin in C-sharp minor (Niigaki)" - This one's a winner. While it doesn't showcase all of Takahashi's strengths--fierceness (see "Eye", "In the Garden of Souls"), comedy ("La Strada"), and contemporanaeity ("Techno Swan Lake")--it's a brilliant display of his greatest one, a sublime blending of power and delicacy. Beginning and ending only when the music does, it's OGM-worthy.

Jason Brown, "The Question of U" - Smartly choreographed and every element is choreography. Brown's mix of sass, innocence, down-to-earthness, and extroversion is a winning combination. It's not a program I'll watch a million times on YouTube, but it's also not one that will have to rely on obsessed skating fans in order to gain that view count.

Patrick Chan, "Elegie in E Flat Minor (Rachmaninoff)" - Very beautiful, but also a tad obvious in the way which the music punctuates our hero's deepening moods and reverie. Still, it makes for great theater at the slow beginning of the step sequence. I'd rather re-watch Chan's flawed 2014 Canadians performance five times than most others' high-scoring SPs even once, but then I'm a bit of an uberfan.

Yuzuru Hanyu, "Parisienne Walkways" - A strong competitive vehicle in which a skater of very slight build challenges the big bluesy rock music and wins. I can see him walking away from an exploding roadside produce stand just a few miles outside of Gainesville, Florida; unhurried, unperturbed, shades and sparkles on. That said, he's the kind of skater who really should be charting new territory for the sport--avant-garde music, offbeat storytelling programs to bemuse Kirk, Lease, and pretentious people like me who nevertheless claim to "get it"--rather than doing very well what an on-form Takahashi and Kozuka can and have done better.

Tatsuki Machida, "East of Eden" - What Dr.Siouxs approvingly and rightly calls a "teen angst" program, this routine goes over the top and stays there, never plummeting to the histrionic lows and boredom of everyday adolescence. And yet. The music cries out for iconic moves in the field, the library of which was ransacked a generation ago by Nichol and Kwan, and all the neat steps and held edges of this program leave me waiting for something that will soar even higher (which is an adolescent emotion in itself, I suppose). A short program to take its skater to the podium in the individual event, but not a true masterpiece.

Tomas Verner, "'Dueling Banjos', from Deliverance" - This is minor Coen Bros. film of a program: smart, detailed, and tantalizingly on the brink of classic status. Verner's age and injuries are part of the problem, as his troubles with the sit spins demonstrate. However, the program itself seems to start too late, after two jumping passes and a spin, calling for a more in-your-face combo of antic energy and refined quickness than Verner should even think of delivering (ba-dum-bump) and probably can't in any case.

Javier Fernandez, "Satan Takes a Holiday" - Artistically, a paint-by-numbers job recalling better stylists and performers (Cousins, Orser, Abbott), but very well-constructed, showcasing Fernandez' technical strengths superbly. No truly memorable elements apart from le quad, but the straight-line and transitional steps make for some nice moments.

Kevin Reynolds, "Back in Black/Thunderstruck" - Elvis (S.) lives. A simple program to simple music, but a good match for Reynolds' expressiveness and penchant for twizzleography.

Han Yan, "Minor Waltz/Viper's Drag" - Soft, elegant, with the occasional sardonic bite, like the music. I feel like Scott Hamilton watching Maria Butyrskaya's 2002 Olympic short program, which probably means that not finding it special enough is as much my fault as it is that of the skater and choreographer.

Denis Ten, "Danse Macabre" - Speaking of quicksilver lightness (and adding on what bardtoob would call that "Vinson Owen/Carroll technique"), here's Denis Ten with a Vancouver-cycle men's SP which relies too much on the music blaring from the speakers and that elusive cleanness on the landings and too little on choreographic detail. It's not that I don't love the old programs in which the music was mere soundtrack--and making that work is a talent in itself--but their day has passed. I suppose it's too late to bring back The Artist, sadly.

Ol' Man Plushy, "Tango de Roxanne" - He almost gets away with this.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 02-06-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    That's brilliant, f_d!

Jeremy Abbott

Gold or Edmunds?

vCash
    Gold.

Gold or Nagasu?

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Now? Gold. Comparing their best performances? Nagasu.

Thomas or Manley?

vCash
    Thomas

Marchei or Fontana?

vCash
    Marchei.

Czisny or Flatt?

vCash
    Czisny, though I like Flatt.

Shawn Sawyer or Liam Firus?

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast