Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

"news" reporting in a social media reality

So, this is what counts as journalism now?

I've lost track of the number of "articles" I've seen just in the past couple of days of Olympic coverage that were simply a matter of harvesting tweets and online comments about non-events. To name just two, the snowflake fail and the creepy animatronic mascot bear in the opening ceremonies.

Here's one example (I don't think the CBC stuff is geoblocked outside of Canada unless it's video):
    http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/...s-the-web.html

I've seen this trend in 24-hour news channels too. I guess they have to fill their time somehow ...

But really, is what's trending on Twitter today news? And surely if you care about Twitter you'd get that information (such as it is) from Twitter -- why does it have to bleed into print and TV coverage too?

/rant

vCash
    Social media articles requires little to no background research (compared to discussing the actual events and athlete profiles), so it's here where journalists with no sports background can at least make some contribution. I think if the reader audience reaction towards this stream of articles is negative, you'd see less of them appearing, but this is apparently not the case.