Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Really lovely interviews. Not only he's an absolutely extraordinary skater, he also seems like a really sweet guy.

But yes, he needs to develop more speed and power. Hopefully that will come with time. Also, having that many transitions will reduce your speed obviously, so that is something the judges should be taking into account. Much easier to build and maintain speed if you're just doing cross-overs.

I really really hope he can win US Nationals this year.

vCash
    As surprised as you are. Jason has the highest point total of any men this season, and he's been quite consistent.

I do think he will need to land a quad at Nationals (along with two 3A's), with a clean short, at Nationals to make the team. He could very well make top two sans quad, but I can't imagine USFSA putting him on the team without it. The other aspect worth considering is that is very likely that the two men on the Olympic team will also represent at Worlds, and will determine the number of spots qualified for the following year. I could see him sinking very quickly without a quad at Worlds, even though he is consistent and a brilliant performer (who is rewarded for that through PCS). We also have to remember that this is just the Grand Prix; not all competitors are factored in. At the same time, his results at TEB would have placed him 5th at 2013WC. Hmm...interesting to see how this will play out.

I could potentially see a situation where a clean Abbott at Nationals could make the team, and since Abbott has stated that Sochi would be his last competition, then Jason could fill that spot for the USA at Worlds.

I still firmly believe that the two men going to Sochi will have landed one or more quads at Nationals, so if all skate clean (they won't, but just for perspective) that puts Abbott, Aaron, Rippon, Farris, and Miner ahead in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I was very surprised by this quote:

I wouldn't call him a favorite for the championship or the Olympic team, but the American men are such a ??? right now, that I really do think Jason has a chance to win nationals/ be named to the Olympic team. Here he talks that he doesn't have a chance at either. That makes me sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    We also have to remember that this is just the Grand Prix; not all competitors are factored in.
    Yeah, but except Rippon all the other US men who medaled have only earned Bronzes on the GP too. So if Abbott and Aaron are among 'favorites'- Jason is basically in the same position as them. So basically, it says to me that the US is consistently decent but isn't really going to be a factor in the Olympics or at Worlds; and Jason, even without a quad (he says he is doing them daily, but I don't think we'll see one at nationals) is pretty much the same level of player as Abbott (since when he landed it he freaked out on the rest of the program) and Aaron (who has lost consistency on them this year) trying them.

I'm not sure where to place Farris yet, but I think Miner even with a quad doesn't top Jason without one.

I guess my thought is among Rippon, Abbott, Aaron, Miner, Farris, Brown: no one stands high above the rest this year. It is going to be one exciting nationals for sure. (My biggest personal issue is I have 3 favorites for 2 spots...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I do think he will need to land a quad at Nationals (along with two 3A's), with a clean short, at Nationals to make the team. He could very well make top two sans quad, but I can't imagine USFSA putting him on the team without it.
    Why? He's had the highest US Men result so far and would place 5th at 2013 Worlds with his TEB result, as you yourself has said. He's the front-runner at the moment.

It's not like any other US skaters have been landing quads consistently.

vCash
    Not a crazy idea for him to make it. I don't think any of the US men look like real medal contenders in Sotchi. Obviously skating clean, Abbott and even Rippon have the capabilities to sneak a medal but it's very unlikely. In that scenario it boils down to good placements at olys and especially at worlds to try and finally get those 3 spots back. Looking at it that way, even sans quad, Brown would do well and I'm sure would be in the top 10.

Miner I just don't get, he's lovely but not talented or consistent enough IMO to have warranted 2trips to worlds. The fact that they sent him over Abbott last year, even though he only beat Abbott by 1pt at nationals, was silly.

Dornbush so much talent but not delivering.

That leaves Aaron, who has not improved 1% on his artistry (contrary to what he believes), Abbott an amazing skater who has never put it together. Rippon, with my favourite free of all the mens and ladies this year, still inconsistent. Surely that gives Brown a very solid shot.

Dark horse might be Farris, who has literally no weaknesses. Transitions galore in both progs, very musical and has the jumps. Is he 'we'll known enough' internationally to get the marks at Olympics if he were to skate a blinder? Maybe a big medal in cup of Russia this week might help that.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Really lovely interviews. Not only he's an absolutely extraordinary skater, he also seems like a really sweet guy.

But yes, he needs to develop more speed and power. Hopefully that will come with time. Also, having that many transitions will reduce your speed obviously, so that is something the judges should be taking into account. Much easier to build and maintain speed if you're just doing cross-overs.

I really really hope he can win US Nationals this year.
    Man, if he does, that would be like a Rudy Galindo moment.

vCash
    Copied over from the U.S. Men's thread in GSD - top international total scores so far this season of 220+:

Total Score, Name, SP Score, FS Score, International Event, Overall Placement:
    243.09 Jason Brown 84.77 (SP) + 158.32 (FS) TEB, 3rd
    241.24 Adam Rippon 80.26 + 160.98 Skate America, 2nd
    239.21 Max Aaron 81.49 + 157.72 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, 1st
    238.36 Max Aaron 75.91 + 162.45 Skate America, 3rd
    237.41 Jeremy Abbott 78.78 + 158.63 NHK Trophy, 3rd
    233.71 Adam Rippon 82.25 + 151.46 NHK Trophy, 4th
    231.03 Jason Brown 83.78 + 147.25 Skate America, 5th
    228.43 Jason Brown 79.41 + 149.02 Nebelhorn Trophy, 2nd
    225.54 Stephen Carriere 77.48 + 148.06 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, 2nd
    223.35 Max Aaron 76.21 + 147.14 NHK Trophy, 7th

ETA: Dornbush and Farris are just under 220 and definitely have the potential to score well if they can skate up to their abilities in Russia this week.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-20-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    Dark horse might be Farris, who has literally no weaknesses.
    Food?

And he has to have some weakness, or he would have medaled/won at SC.

vCash
    Agreed on everything else but:

That leaves Aaron, who has not improved 1% on his artistry (contrary to what he believes)
    I think his posture and lines are a bit better and he pays a bit more attention to what's between the jumps. Programs aren't great but then they aren't totally empty like last season either. He still lacks in PCS aspect, obviously, but I think he's made some progress.

Dark horse might be Farris, who has literally no weaknesses. Transitions galore in both progs, very musical and has the jumps. Is he 'we'll known enough' internationally to get the marks at Olympics if he were to skate a blinder? Maybe a big medal in cup of Russia this week might help that.
    I would like him to show programs with more style and character. His skating is good but it's all a bit at this point.

vCash
    Here's some quotes from Jason and Kori from Phil Hersh's story on him last month:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...axels-kori-ade

Now Brown is working on quadruple jumps, although Ade is in no rush to have him try one in competition. She thinks it would not be impossible for him to earn one of the two U.S. men's spots in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics without a quad.

"I think Team USA would like to send two guys with quads, but I haven't seen two guys with quads be able to put them out there consistently," she said. "I don't see why overall points can't trump somebody who tries a quad."

"I know my peak and best (Olympic) chance will be in four years, but I'm not putting Sochi out of my mind," Brown said. "It's possible I could make the top two if I skate my best at nationals."

vCash
    He was such a joy to watch at TEB! Though I wish I could find his SP with the music (thank you, Prince's people), his attention to detail is something special. I can't wait to watch him for years to come, and I love what Kori is doing with him. She's letting him develop on his own time, and that will go a long way.

I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to qualify for Sochi. It would be a great experience for his future. Sad that we only have two spots for the US; I can think of four men I'd love to see go and I'll be sad for whoever misses out.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Food?

And he has to have some weakness, or he would have medaled/won at SC.
    I put Farris in the category of Dornbush in that they just can't get it all together somehow. As someone else put it on here, maybe laziness in training. But I still believe Dornbush has the more up-side-- there's something about him, I can't quite put my finger on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    He was such a joy to watch at TEB! Though I wish I could find his SP with the music (thank you, Prince's people), his attention to detail is something special. I can't wait to watch him for years to come, and I love what Kori is doing with him. She's letting him develop on his own time, and that will go a long way.

I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to qualify for Sochi. It would be a great experience for his future. Sad that we only have two spots for the US; I can think of four men I'd love to see go and I'll be sad for whoever misses out.
    Here you go: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17...-2013-sp_sport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    He was such a joy to watch at TEB! Though I wish I could find his SP with the music
    The dailymotion video link is also posted in post #1 of this thread.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I missed that somehow, silly me. Thank you both!

vCash
    One thing that I like about Jason's style is that he really projects into the audience and judges. He looks up and out, instead of down at the ice / wrapped up in his own world. Great job!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'm also looking forward to watching the "Orange Team" card game video with Jason in the future!
    Cheers Sylvia! Jason is the 3rd of the 3 card games we did in Paris so it'll take us a bit of time until we upload it, but believe me, it's worth the wait

vCash
    This is not the place for a discussion about Farris, but I just want to point out that it's not true at all to say he "literally" has no weakness.

Of course, no one is weakness free.

vCash
    Dark horse might be Farris, who has literally no weaknesses.
    Oooooh, no no no no. I LOVE Joshua, adore him, but that statement is so wrong. Of course Josh has weaknesses. The obvious one is: food. He's already had two major competitions where he was badly affected by his anaphylaxis. He also has the tendency, according to Damon Allen, to get over-emotional and beat himself up about things, which is not a good tendency to have in competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Oooooh, no no no no. I LOVE Joshua, adore him, but that statement is so wrong. Of course Josh has weaknesses. The obvious one is: food. He's already had two major competitions where he was badly affected by his anaphylaxis. He also has the tendency, according to Damon Allen, to get over-emotional and beat himself up about things, which is not a good tendency to have in competition.
    Lol by no weaknesses, I meant he doesn't have one real lacking area like most of the Us men. He is an artist and he has the basics and jumps.

Skittl, I don't think his not winning a medal at skate can is that relevant, the field was brutal and he got 4th in the free with the 3rd best tech mark, even better than Oda. Obviously he has a long way to go but it's difficult to poke holes in the package he offers.

Ziggy, I don't agree about Max. I actually prefer his progs from last year, they suited him more. His short this year is all kinds of wrong and those 2 arm wave back twizzles before the quad and the axel are really not signs of improvements. I like Max's basics actually (minority I know), I think he has great speed and flow, the ice never seems big enough for him but I am not sure Latin and Carmen were good choices. In fact I am sure they were terrible choices, don't know if it's Pasquale who up came with it or someone else. Hijacking Jason's thread now!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast