Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Red face Joyous Jason Brown becomes an overnight Paris sensation & other articles/interviews

Jason Brown, 18-going-on-19, won his first Senior Grand Prix medal (bronze) and set all 3 new ISU personal best scores (including 243.09 total) at TEB in Paris.

"A Question of U" SP (84.77): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17...-2013-sp_sport
    Riverdance FS (158.32): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_X_F8zJ8k8
    British Eurosport version of his FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY0WJ8PZD94 (added)
    Medal ceremony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tHv_xTpP4

New interview with Jason Brown and his longtime coach, Kori Ade, by Jean-Christophe Berlot, published before the FS at TEB: Joyous Brown becomes an overnight Paris sensation

An article from Figure Skaters Online, published before the start of TEB: Jason Brown: Ready for the challenge! (includes some fun facts at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Interview With Jason Brown [before TEB]: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013...son-brown.html
    Absolute Skating's interview (published Nov. 14) with Jason Brown at Nebelhorn Trophy in late September: Jason Brown: "I was not flexible at all as a kid"
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-17-2013 at 02:39 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    His skating is awesome and he seems like such a genuinely wonderful person, so it's great to see him having success and earning new fans around the world.

vCash
    Saw the program from TEB and wow! Amazing job! Eurosport commentators (especially Joanne Conway) raved about him. I still think his presentation is underscored but hopefully he will continue to deliver and the judges will be forced to give him the marks. An Olympic team of Brown and Farris hitting clean would be a dream come true!! Ahhhh!

vCash
    Jason's TEB FS was fantastic. Loved it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Congratulations, Jason! What a fabulous young talent. Best of luck!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I enjoyed his skating a lot and joyous is the perfect word to describe him. I hope he never loses that. LOL at the medal ceremony when Speedy was giving Chan his medal, obviously complimenting him you can see Jason horn in saying 'he's amazing' pointing at Chan and then indicating he had tears during Chan's skate. That was very sweet. I look forward to seeing him in the years to come.

vCash
    Congrats to Jason for his first GP medal. Delightful to watch and a creative skater.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I just got back from Bompard, and I gotta say, I wasn't sold on this guy, But i realized how much the crowd loves him, the energy completely turned up during his skate even despite an early mistake,
    I guess it's his projected happiness and ease, and his different "Kimmie meissner" type look from the others ,
    He seemed lovely at the hotel the morning before the FS.

I do believe his are the best scores by an American so far this season, right ?

vCash
    I loved Jason Brown last year at the junior level, but then Joshua Farris won Junior Worlds. What we saw Jason do this year so far, in his two GPs, was magical. He brought sensitivity to the glass sport of ice skating. He truly felt the music and was able to use his entire body to present a story. I know he is going to be fine for the rest of this skating season and his career on ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    I enjoyed his skating a lot and joyous is the perfect word to describe him. I hope he never loses that. LOL at the medal ceremony when Speedy was giving Chan his medal, obviously complimenting him you can see Jason horn in saying 'he's amazing' pointing at Chan and then indicating he had tears during Chan's skate. That was very sweet. I look forward to seeing him in the years to come.
    That's what he said? I was wondering about what did he say.

Congratulations to Jason for such a great debut season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    That's what he said? I was wondering about what did he say.

Congratulations to Jason for such a great debut season!
    Obviously I don't know for certain but that was my impression and what my lip reading skills() indicated.

vCash
    He's wonderful. I love that his skating leaves the impression that he's being true to himself, that his skating is organic and he's unafraid to be himself out there, so there's no performance tension of the wrong kind, and nothing forced. His basic skating has such power and flow and he's got a beautifully calm and expressive upper body. I love when skaters have so much flow at blade level but everything above the blade can take its time.

vCash
    I really like this guy. While Joshua may have won the junior world's last year, I preferred Jason guy because of his personality and charisma. He's interesing to watch and it's great he's having some success on the senior circuit.

vCash
    Jean-Christophe Berlot covers TEB for Icenetwork (see his interview linked in post #1 that inspired the title of this thread) and he mentioned Jason Brown a few times in his daily notes columns from Paris -- for example, Day 2: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...ph233e-bompard
    Kori Ade, who coaches Jason Brown, could be seen wearing an orange wool scarf in the arena. "You see that scarf?" she asked. "Jason made it when he was 7 years old and gave it to me. I promised him that I would wear it at nationals if he made it to nationals. He did! And I did." Except Jason went way beyond nationals, as he won a bronze and a silver medal at the world junior championships. Kori has worn it one day at every championship since. It is made with different colors -- yet mostly orange tones, and is quite elaborate, with different kinds of stitches. You never know where a scarf can take you. Maybe to the stars.
    You may think: "Oh, well, this is yet another skate: triple Axel, triple flip-triple toe, triple Lutz. I have seen this story a million times…" Yes, but… When that same "old story" came back Friday morning, as Jason Brown took the ice for his practice session, the audience stopped yelling and shouting all at once. Brown is not only a crowd pleaser and an artist -- he uses his unique gift to lead you on his own artistic journey. The arena exploded in applause after what was after all only a practice session! One of those jewels only figure skating can offer, and a magical moment for free.
    From Day 4:
    A new rock star
    Saturday night, the stands were roaring loud as French ice dancers Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron entered onto the ice. All of a sudden, an even bigger yell emerged as if a rock star started to climb the stairs to reach his throne somewhere higher in the stands: Jason Brown had entered into the stands. He was congratulated and personally applauded from one row to the next, bending politely as the Pope or a president would have done. Audience appreciation will never lie when identifying where true talent is.
    ETA British Eurosport version of his TEB exhibition performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SW0_ESEtM
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-17-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: To add EX video link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia.
    My feelings about Jason are well known on the board.
    I look forward to watching him this season, and for years to come.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    I am so thrilled with Jason's success this weekend. Ever since I first saw him skate his first year as a senior at US Nats, I've thought he was a very special skater. He seems like he has a great head on his shoulders too. And I love how he has such a warm relationship with his coach, Kori.

vCash
    WOW WOW WOW
    Fantastic SP, fantastic LP, fantastic Ex !
    Special guy

vCash
    I just watched his "Can't touch this" exhibition. He does the best split jumps since Sasha Cohen.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jean-Christophe Berlot covers TEB for Icenetwork (see his interview linked in post #1 that inspired the title of this thread) and he mentioned Jason Brown a few times in his daily notes columns from Paris --
    I don't think I've ever see Berlot gush the way he has for Jason. Has Jason competed in Japan yet? Based on the way the French are reacting to him, I feel like he'll have to take out restraining orders when those fans get to know him!

Banned Member
    vCash
    He needs more fluidity. And more confidence with his triple axel.

Other than that, very enjoyable skater to watch.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast