vCash

The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tatiana Tarasova talked about.

This is an article in "Sankei Shimbun" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Part 1: The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about.
    November 12th, 2013

Photography: by Masaaki Sasaki
    Coach Tatiana Tarasova
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/phot...3350000-p1.htm

Interviewer: by Masaaki Sasaki
    ■ Mao is an irreplaceable special person

(It has become less than 3 months to Sochi Olympics which opens on February 7th next year. Aiming at the gold medal, Mao Asada who has declared the retirement from the eligible after this season is going to face the Sochi. Tarasova who has watched Mao Asada since 2007 calls her "Mao" affectionately.)

"Mao has been the child genius from child-hood. Her movement on the ice was splendid and her skating was flawless. She engraves all steps with high difficulty level, and her jumps, too, have high precision. And, above all, she was the 'musical' skater. She could express herself to any kinds of music programs."

(The program which Asada is going to show at the free skating in Sochi Olympics is Rachmaninoff's "Piano Concerto No. 2" choreographed by Tarasova.)

"I will not accept the player who can't finish performing what I coaches. If I hadn't found that Mao of the child-hood will become splendid skater in the future, I wouldn't have partnered with her. Whenever I listen to the music, I had watched Mao beyond the melody. Because we has partnered for long years, Mao understands how I will make her perform by my choreography. I can always get the big satisfaction from her."

(Asada won the championship in the NHK Trophy of the fourth event of GP series which the free skating was held in November 9th at. She marched 207.59 points in total which is her personal best score and the season best total scores in the world in this season.)

"To choreograph is as if it makes a costume which is called music for her. In this time, I chose the music number of Rachmaninoff which will match her. It will become the performance which is left in the memory of everybody. Through this music number, she expresses her all figure skating life so far. To overcome the difficulty is the theme of this program. If Mao can finish all the performance while skating to the melody of Rachmaninoff, it is that she has overcome the difficulty. It will be that she has expressed the life of one person or the life of one top-ranking skater."

"Mao is an irreplaceable very special person. I pray sincerely that she can smile with the best smiling face in the Olympics. If she is good condition as same as usual and has prepared tightly, she will leave the good result. As for the other, the god only will know the future.

【Profile】
    Tatiana Tarasova
    She born in Moscow in 1947
    She begins the figure skating from 4 years old.
    She became the European champion of Pair in the teen-ager.
    Because of the injury, she retired from the eligible skater at 19 years old and transferred to the coach.
    She coached Shizuka Arakawa who is the gold medalist in Turin Olympics.
    Formerly, she coached Mao Asada exclusively as the coach from 2007 and at present, the teacher-pupil relationship continues as the choreographer of the program.

The article:
    The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about; Part 1
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news...3350000-n1.htm

vCash

Part 2: The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about.
    November 13th, 2013

Photography: by Masaaki Sasaki
    Tarasova with Asada in NHK Trophy in 2008
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/phot...3070000-p1.htm

■I had a telephone call, saying, “Mao seems to have become a completely different person”.

(In Grand Prix Final which was held in Tokyo in December in 2005, Tarasova was shocked by the skating of Mao Asada. Overcoming Russian Irina Slutskaya who is the Worlds champion, 15 years old girl won the championship there.)

"In that season, Slutskaya was in very good condition. Winning the championship in every event, she had gotten a record score. Mao was approaching Slutskaya technically, too. It was the skating which transcends the generation."

(However Asada couldn't participate to Turin Olympics in February in the next year because of age restriction.)

Sochi becomes the third Olympics for Mao practically. As for the time of Turin, she didn't merely reach few months to an entry qualification age. At that time, I proposed, saying "It should make her participate to the Olympics" to the person concerned. At that time, I proposed, saying "It should make participate in Olympics" to the person concerned. Because I state my opinion clearly, I said "The age is unrelated". But, it wasn't admitted.

(In Turin Olympics, Slutskaya became the 3rd place. As for the gold medal, Shizuka Arakawa got it with the complete performance.)

“Although having been defeated in Grand Prix Final, Slutskaya didn't show the state which was desponded of in Turin. However, when I think as the stager who has coached Slutskaya, I think that there was a psychological influence in her. She could not wipe it out. Mao defeated Slutskaya.”

(Since 2007/2008 season, Mao began to receive a genuine coaching from Tarasova. It polished her expression ability and her artistic aspect moreover.)

“When Mao was coached by another coach yet, I choreographed the music of short program to her.
    After I had kept Mao for several weeks, I had a telephone call from the coach, saying, 'Mao seems to have become a different person'. Mao is a practice-aholic. By doing the performance as if the player of Men does, she expanded the image of me who is a coach.”

(The father of Tarasova is late Mr. Anatolii Tarasova who led the USSR national team of the ice hockey to the world champion of 9 degrees. He is called 'the father in the Russian ice hockey', too,)

“The father was a genius. He won anytime. I was taught from my father that the rule is valuable above all. I began to skate at the time of 4 years old and became a European champion in the Pair of the figure skating at the teen-ager.
    After changing to the coach because of having suffered an injury at the time of 19 years old, I have always concerned the gifted players, but they used to be entrusting all to me. If one mistake leads to the defeat, it becomes the responsibility of the coach. The player whom I coached was never content with equal to or less than the 3rd place so far. Because it's to be embarrassing.”

The article:
    The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about; Part 2
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news...3070000-n1.htm

vCash

Part 3: The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about.
    November 14th, 2013

Photography: By Takaaki Shioura
    Tarasova with Asada at Vancouver Olympics
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/phot...3100001-p1.htm

Interviewer: By Masaaki Sasaki
    ■ Mao, fall in love.
    (Aiming at Vancouver Olympics in 2010, Mao Asada partnered with Tarasova. In the living room, the teacher-pupil relation of them used to become a popular topic of conversation. Tarasova sent an advice to Asada then, namely, she said, "Mao, fall in love".)

“It is so-called love to continue to think seriously as for someone. The love leads some change and gives some inspiration. It reanimates oneself. It makes the power pervade. The love is the most splendid things in what exists in this world.”

(Tarasova encouraged Asada anytime. She hugged Mao even in the presence of other people whenever having won with a high score by an event.)

"I had tuned in to Mao anytime. Therefore, a word wasn't necessary just before the competition. I gazed her eyes and grasped her hand. Sometimes, I spoke a short word to her. It was only one word. It was a very few that I spoke through an interpreter at a rink. When I would like to speak a word to her, I learned the word in Japanese. Mao felt what I would like to speak and understood it."

(In Vancouver Olympics 3 years before which they wrestled absorbedly with, Asada was the silver medal)

"She made the triple Axel jumps succeed with once in the short program and twice in the free skating. It was not the level which Ladies can do. The situation of the practice of Mao was the one which should be really surprised. There were few mistakes and the preparations which jump three times enough in the Olympics were completed. This is the record which no man has been able to reach and it will not be broken through for long years from now on, too."

“In the day before the free skating, I thought that she need to rest. But, I couldn't cancel the practice because there was the request, too, from Japanese person concerned. As the result, Mao made a mistake in the second half because she had run out of energy on the way of the free skating because of fatigue. I think that there was enough a chance which she could win in the game. After Olympics, I retreated from the post of the coach. Because there was a responsibility of me, too, who couldn't cancel the practice in the day before the free skating.”

(Asada who left from Tarasova after the Vancouver Olympics fell in slump. In December in 2011, her mother Kyoko who had supported the competition life of Asada passed away.)

“Mao was together with the mother whenever coming to Moscow and I met to her mother with reverence. She was moderate, was very intelligent and was the person who gives the power to Mao.”

“Kyoko gave me a letter before passing away. It was written by the word of the gratitude but it wasn't touched even with one word about a disease. Later, I found that this letter had been the sentences which the person who was under a long illness wrote. She was a mentally strong person really. The death of the mother was maximum tragedy for Mao. Then, I, too, left from Mao. We were a source of the energy of Mao. Therefore, I could understand also that Mao fell in slump.”

The article:
    The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about; Part 3
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news...3100001-n1.htm

vCash

Part 4: The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about.
    November 15th, 2013

■Mao! Recall that time.

(Mao Asada who is an ace of Ladies in Japan is going to face to Sochi Olympics in February next year. It will be over ten years since Tarasova began to watch the talent of Mao.)

“Mao is already 23 years old, isn’t she? She has continued to compete even over ten years in the front of the world of sports. It's no piece of cake that she has kept the best condition for such a long period. Losing a darling mother in this period, Mao received a big shock. Nevertheless, she always participated to the event in all over the world and kept the position of the top-ranking.”

“It is a great. Mao in present gazes at her own past once more and must show the appearance which refurbished all. It is a difficult thing but she can do. It is because she is the person not to neglect always an effort and to continue to grow.”

(In April this year, Asada decided that she would finish her competition life after this season. She revealed her inmost feelings, saying, "Compiling my skating life, I would like to do the best performance in Sochi Olympics".)

“As for so-called carrier, there is not an end. Our skating life doesn't finish. Mao finishes the life as an eligible skater and only shifts to another stage. She will surely perform in an ice show in all over the world. It is as if she makes her own theater. It will become a big experience for her.”

(Before getting the gold medal which is her earnest wish, the rivals lie ahead. Tarasova disclosed that she is conscious of Yu-Na Kim of Korea, too.)

“After Vancouver Olympics, I think that she needed to take a long rest. Yes, it's like Yu-Na Kim. She interrupted the participation to a competition for over 1.5 years. I think that it was necessary to take rest for mind, for Mao, too. It was big tragedy for her to have lost the mother.
    There was the alternative which she participates only to big event, such as Worlds, after the Olympics, too. In that case, she doesn't participate to the other event. Her competition schedule might have been planned by mistake. If I would have planned, I would have released her from the competition.”

("I guards Mao anytime". She doesn't hesitate, while she declares so.)

“I am thinking about Mao even when she isn't near. Because she had participated to the events with one costume in last season, I presented her the 'costume with feather' which seems to be fitted to her program, "Swan Lake".
    I like her performance very much. If she could continue to win, namely, it is also that the program which I choreographed got a victory.”

(Tarasova spared the time for this interview, saying, "For paying tribute to Japan which is the homeland of Mao". When I requested to her, saying "Please give the advice to Mao", she answered as follows after having silenced for one minute.)

“Mao! Recall that time when you made the triple Axel jumps succeed twice in the free skating. Recall that time when you achieved what no one can do. Then, risk all for the purpose.”

The article:
    The portrait of Mao Asada by the story which Tarasova talked about; Part 4
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news...3030000-n1.htm

The end.

vCash
    Thank you very much for your translations, Akira Andrea! But aren't they the same articles(article 1-3) you posted on another thread? Are you going to close the former one? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ova-as-for-Mao

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Are you going to close the former one?
    Part 4 is new translation at all, although Part 1-3 are the same articles as that of my former thread. I am sure that even my new translation is worthy of making new thread anew. I made new thread because I found that 'the title and the sub title' of the article, which I translated literally first, don't fit to the contents of the article.
    I think that the former thread would be forgotten rapidly by anybody even if I dare don't close it.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 11-18-2013 at 02:15 AM.