Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Miki Ando: "I want to show my child the spirit of aiming for a goal & not giving up"

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000779652
    While there have been numerous cases of top female athletes returning to competition after giving birth, it still remains rare in Japan. Judo star Ryoko Tani and marathoner Yukiko Akaba have been the exception not the rule, although the trend seems to be changing. With three months to go to the Sochi Winter Olympics, we will look at three athletes who are mixing the demands of motherhood with the challenge of making the Japan team.

With only about 1½ months left before the All Japan Championships—a key qualifying competition for the Sochi Olympics—she appears to be in store for a bumpy road to Sochi. But Ando has special determination and drive.

“As a mother, I want to show my child the spirit of aiming for a goal and not giving up,” she said.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well, I doubt her baby has the slightest idea what is going on and who knows how she will see it when she is older.

vCash
    I admire Miki's determination to finish her career on her own terms.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Go, Miki!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well, I doubt her baby has the slightest idea what is going on and who knows how she will see it when she is older.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Go, Miki!!

Right there with you Peter
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If you believe the research that shows that babies and children pick up things from their parents' emotional state, then Ando's daughter is getting an emotional message from her mother. A human chlld's neural network is still in the growth stage in its first year.

There's not guarantee that a child will get the message that a parent wants to send. If parents stopped sending them, then the human race might just as well give up.

Go Miki and MikiDaughter!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Go Miki and MikiDaughter!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Lol

vCash
    That kind of statement reminds me of a friend who was taking her baby on vacation. Someone told her "that's a waste, she won't remember anything" The mom responded "she doesn't remember me feeding her either should I stop that too" LOL!

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk&sns=em

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I wasn't born yet when my father moved to the US to attend grad school not knowing anyone and with only $500 in his pocket. But growing up with that story has cemented my belief in hard work and dedication. -shrug-

vCash
    Go Miki!

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    A beautiful lady! Best of luck to her.

vCash
    I think that's great and no matter what happens, Miki will be known as one of the few skaters who left the sport, gave birth and then returned to competition. I admire her determination and focus...

But I don't know how that is going to help her in terms of getting on the team to Sochi. It will be interesting to see how much she has progressed since her last competition. Her scores at sectionals (or regionals? IDK) were not good and would not stand up next to Mao, Akiko, Kanako and a few others.

I'd like to see Miki do well, but I don't really want to see her go to Sochi simply b/c she'd bump either Akiko or Kanako off of the team. Being that those two have been instrumental in carrying the Japanese ladies through this last quad, I think they've earned their spot to Sochi and deserve to go.

vCash
    2013.12.05 - 2013.12.08 Zagreb, Croatia
    http://www.croskate.hr/zlatna-piruet...es-entries.pdf
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 11-15-2013 at 04:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think that's great and no matter what happens, Miki will be known as one of the few skaters who left the sport, gave birth and then returned to competition. I admire her determination and focus...

But I don't know how that is going to help her in terms of getting on the team to Sochi. It will be interesting to see how much she has progressed since her last competition. Her scores at sectionals (or regionals? IDK) were not good and would not stand up next to Mao, Akiko, Kanako and a few others.

I'd like to see Miki do well, but I don't really want to see her go to Sochi simply b/c she'd bump either Akiko or Kanako off of the team. Being that those two have been instrumental in carrying the Japanese ladies through this last quad, I think they've earned their spot to Sochi and deserve to go.
    ITA- I admire Miki and wish her well, but hope the Olympic team is Mao, Akiko and Kanako.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    She could still do 4CC & potentially Worlds after the Olympics. As long as she skates well there, there's a very good chance she could place well in both events. If anything, I think having a few more months to train for Worlds would help her.

vCash
    A little levity to lighten the mood I'm sure would not be at all askance. That said, I'm sure everybody (especially women) admire Miki for having a baby and getting back on the ice so soon and still having the skills (shades of Ekaterina Gordeeva) to do well. And if she does make it to the Olympics more power to her!

vCash
    This is an article in a personal fan blog of Miki Ando in Japan.

From the article of the interview with Tuktamysheva who enters for the Golden Spin.

Tuktamysheva said,
    "I'm glad that I can meet Ando again. I'm only moved by having decided that she returns again to the competition after she had a baby. It's the encouraging action for the skating woman. Of course, the beauty and gracefulness of Miki on the ice haven't disappeared."
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/12630.html

Thank you! Tuktamysheva!

The article:
    https://www.facebook.com/TeamLoveMik...65793926767839
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 11-16-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast