Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Thumbs up Figure skater Kim Yu-na donates US$100,000 to relief efforts in Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Yuna Kim, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, donated $100,000 through the Korean Committee for UNICEF as an emergency relief fund to aid Philippine children damaged by Typhoon Haiyan.

http://sports.news.naver.com/sports/..._id=0002657365

Runnershigh posted the news on Yuna thread but I thought it deserves a separate thread.
    Spread the words and awareness

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...f-efforts-phil

vCash
    I wonder just how loaded she is now. She seems to be the only figure skater in the world who made a huge amount of money, now that the old days of tv interest and the pro circuit are gone.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Good for her!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I wonder just how loaded she is now. She seems to be the only figure skater in the world who made a huge amount of money, now that the old days of tv interest and the pro circuit are gone.
    My guess is Mao Asada would be quite rich too, having been a superstar for a long time in Japan, where figure skating is not exactly a minor sport. I think people like Plushenko and Shen/Zhao would be well-off by now. Kostner also appeared in numerous commercials in her home country during her long career. Anyway, there are people fortunate enough to give, and also some ordinary people giving out their lifelong savings to charity. So I think it really isn't a matter of how much one has, but a matter of values one sets in life.

It's good to see Yuna Kim making such a good use of her fame and influence at the prime of her career. Besides making the donation, she has sought others' attention to the matter via her twitter. Kudos to her.

vCash
    According to Forbes she is the 7th highest paid female athlete in the world and earned 10 million dollars last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    According to Forbes she is the 7th highest paid female athlete in the world and earned 10 million dollars last year.
    Wow.

That is extremely impressive for a niche sport! I guess the fact she was the first South Korean skater ever to have achieved so much really made a mark.

So basically, she donated 1% of her annual earnings. Still better than most of the so-called 'philanthropists' who make a great deal of self-promotion out of handing out 0.0001% of theirs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    . So I think it really isn't a matter of how much one has, but a matter of values one sets in life.

Yes, you are so right. I admire that YuNa has been so consistent in donating her effort, time and money to important causes. She is so young to be so wildly successful, yet has stayed grounded and cares about others. She spends a great deal of effort to help others, even though I'm sure she is extremely busy in her own affairs

vCash
    So basically, she donated 1% of her annual earnings. Still better than most of the so-called 'philanthropists' who make a great deal of self-promotion out of handing out 0.0001% of theirs.
    I don't think this effort is her only spending for the year for good cause. Besides her charity works domestic and abroad, AFAIK she also supports young Korean skaters. Let's not trivialize her effort, no matter what percentage of her earnings it represents. I think it is a substantial amount even for her annual earnings. There are people with $100k income who are hesitant in giving out a meager $100 for a charitable cause. Besides, there's no guaranty at all she would be earning even a half of that amount after her retirement, and I assume she knows as much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    My guess is Mao Asada would be quite rich too, having been a superstar for a long time in Japan, where figure skating is not exactly a minor sport. I think people like Plushenko and Shen/Zhao would be well-off by now. Kostner also appeared in numerous commercials in her home country during her long career. Anyway, there are people fortunate enough to give, and also some ordinary people giving out their lifelong savings to charity. So I think it really isn't a matter of how much one has, but a matter of values one sets in life.

It's good to see Yuna Kim making such a good use of her fame and influence at the prime of her career. Besides making the donation, she has sought others' attention to the matter via her twitter. Kudos to her.
    I don't think Mao is quite as rich as one would think. In Japan, it is the "talent agency" that hires or represents the celebrity who make the money. The actual money that is paid to the "talent" is quite meager.

Good on Yuna for her generosity!

vCash
    Yeah, Kim's contribution is quite generous and I applaud her for consistently giving to a variety of causes. Kim obviously has a good heart and I'm happy she has the personality to be giving.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I think that's great! She's a wonderful humanitarian whom is setting a (+) role model for those that look up to her, and in turn hopefully they'll follow her example.

That said, there are people out there that also give to causes that nobody ever knows about until after they die, and sometimes not even then. That to me is the most humblest of givers (thinking of my grandmother here)... *insert heart emoticon*

vCash
    Yeah, so that's why Yuna ranked 5th on Charity Champions from Top Female Athletes when she's only 20.
    http://youtu.be/G3UFcq2kXwQ

vCash
    Good for her. On a side note, I doubt her earnings would decrease much after her retirement. If she gets that 2nd OGM, it might even increase.

Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    That said, there are people out there that also give to causes that nobody ever knows about until after they die, and sometimes not even then. That to me is the most humblest of givers (thinking of my grandmother here)... *insert heart emoticon*
    I agree.

vCash
    No one should belittle her giving or trivialize her efforts for the causes she supports.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Kudos to her. She's been involved in a number of charities, donating both financially and with her time and talent. I like skaters who find ways to give back. YuNa has a lot of young people who are big fans, and I think she's a wonderful role model for them.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Very decent of her and if her public star presence encourages others in Korea and elsewhere to contribute in any way large or small, more power to her. When you translate the cash into the power of what that help could provide, it's more sobering. $100,000 is enough to keep 2000 people alive for a month with basic food and water, or inoculate a huge number of people in the stricken area against tetanus and cholera. We may not all have Yu-na's earning power nor cash to donate, but from personal experience, even a small group of people in modestly well-off countries and situations can put enough together to help one stricken family survive and get the basic necessities scraped together to rebuild their lives. Whether in the Philippines or elsewhere.

vCash
    Kudos to Yu-Na. A good deed ... and a good example.

vCash
    Wow.

That is extremely impressive for a niche sport! I guess the fact she was the first South Korean skater ever to have achieved so much really made a mark.

Ic fact that was the number in 2011 or 2012. This year she earned over 14 million dollars

Kudos to Yuna, she is just too good to be true

vCash
    Yuna!

vCash
    She is so generous with her mega wealth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast