Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Oh I'll be making good money. No worries about travel costs.

vCash
    Oslo, no doubt.

Lvov, Ukraine? They-MUST-Be-Joking!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Here's a recent New York Times article about Sochi.

If the IOC has any sense (which I doubt), it will use radically different criteria the next time around, i.e., select a host with the infrastructure largely in place rather than pristine open space.

vCash
    'Muller said that he met with engineers in charge of quality assurance and that “they told me there is no quality to assure.'

This whole thing has been such a sad mess. I wonder just how much was spent in bribes to those who could vote at the IOC congress.

vCash
    Some pretty good photos of Astana
    Am not sure what do I want it to be Would love to go to another Olympics and this time in a country where I wouldn't understand a word in a local language (oh, wait, that would be Korea).

vCash
    The Cracow Olympic Committee has been created and surprise surprise it's 'friends and family' of the government MP who is the head of it. It's spending money without a proper open public procurement process taking place and has so far refused to report to the media on the details. Fcuking Olympics. The sooner this dies, the better so please reject the Cracow bid in the initial stage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    'Muller said that he met with engineers in charge of quality assurance and that “they told me there is no quality to assure.'

This whole thing has been such a sad mess. I wonder just how much was spent in bribes to those who could vote at the IOC congress.
    I know Salt Lake City paid big bucks in bribes to get the 2002 Olympics. It was a big scandal (the real one). They almost lost the games. May be it's the norm now. Actually I think Sochi benefitted from Putin's efforts (although Chicago didn't benefit from Obama's efforts to bring the summer Olympics there in 2016).

vCash
    In related news, apparently Norway is banning VIP treatment as a condition of support for an Oslo bid:
    http://m.insidethegames.biz/olympics...ies-of-demands

I only hope the IOC is smart enough to take this chance at positive PR by selecting Oslo regardless.

vCash
    And this is why Nordic countries rock.

But good luck beating Almaty, which is going to spend millions on bribes, with that attitude.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Oslo
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The Cracow Olympic Committee has been created and surprise surprise it's 'friends and family' of the government MP who is the head of it. It's spending money without a proper open public procurement process taking place and has so far refused to report to the media on the details. Fcuking Olympics. The sooner this dies, the better so please reject the Cracow bid in the initial stage.
    Thank goodness I am not the only one living in a corrupt country in the haven of EU.

I an cheering for Oslo!

NO EU!
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Rooting for Almaty here for sentimental reasons. We're in the process of adopting there, and it would be nice for our future children to see their homeland host an Olympics.

And because Kazakhstan has a skating program on the rise, rather than one that's basically (pun intended) on ice. I would be concerned that a Scandinavian host would focus more on skiing than figure skating.

The impression that many in the West have about their government isn't the impression that people in that part of the world seem to have -- they tend to view their president as someone who was able to keep crap together when so many other countries in the area fell apart. And, with their economy steadily improving, few see a reason to vote for anyone but the incumbent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatepixie View Post
    The impression that many in the West have about their government isn't the impression that people in that part of the world seem to have -- they tend to view their president as someone who was able to keep crap together when so many other countries in the area fell apart. And, with their economy steadily improving, few see a reason to vote for anyone but the incumbent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Kazakhstan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursultan_Nazarbayev

I can see the argument about the economy but does that excuse the human rights abuses and the rampant corruption?

P.S. The elections were a sham.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-09-2014 at 01:21 PM.

vCash
    A visual identity has been crafted for Oslo's bid: http://www.dezeen.com/2014/04/04/sno...-olympics-bid/

But unfortunately Oslo's bid is not receiving a lot of public support This article is from April 8, so I dont know what the case is now. But this is the most recent article I saw. http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_...216136901.html

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    In related news, apparently Norway is banning VIP treatment as a condition of support for an Oslo bid:
    http://m.insidethegames.biz/olympics...ies-of-demands

I only hope the IOC is smart enough to take this chance at positive PR by selecting Oslo regardless.
    I love this article. The quotes are great.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    The IOC’s big bid problem
    Published on May 5, 2014 | by Alan Abrahamson
    http://www.3wiresports.com/2014/05/0...g-bid-problem/
    Excerpt:
    One of two Norwegian government parties voted Sunday against supporting Oslo’s bid for the 2022 Winter Games, Associated Press reported, in a three-paragraph story likely to be buried in the back pages of newspapers and de-emphasized by analytics monkeys at websites around the world.

It’s 2014. It’s eight years until 2022. The International Olympic Committee isn’t even going to vote for the 2022 city until next year. Who could possibly care?

Everyone should care.

To put it another way — if you have even the most remote interest in the ongoing vitality of the Olympic movement, you should care.

This big problem is of its doing, and is many, many years in the making.

The problem is complex.

It is various parts finance, governance, perception and (lack of, by the IOC) communication — with cities, states and nations saying the Games have become way, way, way too expensive; or they don’t like or don’t trust the IOC; or both.
    The big problem facing the IOC, however, has been simmering for a long, long time. It is now finding increasing expression not just in Oslo but across western Europe, the IOC’s once and forever soul, which makes it all the more problematic.
    ETA:

Norwegian Prime Minister claims Olympics "fantastic experience, but very costly" as Oslo 2022 try to save bid: http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...ry-to-save-bid
    The negative publicity surrounding Oslo's campaign comes at the start of a crucial week for all the cities bidding for 2022, who also include Almaty, Beijing, Lviv and Kraków.

They are all due to take part in video presentations with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Thursday (May 8) where they will be quizzed over their Applicant Files, which were submitted in March.

The answers they give will help the IOC's ruling Executive Board decide which cities to shortlist at its meeting in Lausanne on July 8 and 9.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-05-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Andorra!!! Just to see of they could pull it off...

vCash
    Cracow has officially withdrawn (after already spending wasting loads of money on setting up their bid and promoting it ).

vCash
    Click here for the latest articles on the 2020 bid: http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...-olympics/2022

Oslo 2022 confident support for Olympic bid set to pick-up after Bach visit (May 22): http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...ter-bach-visit
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow. The 2022 Winter Olympics are turning into the Games that no one wants. Are you happy now, Sochi? Your bloated extravaganza has made the Winter Olympics less desirable than another season of American Idol.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast