Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Beijing wants more venues that will stand empty afterwards?

vCash
    While I'm sad for Stockholm, 700 km between there and the skiing venues was just not acceptable in terms of distance and would have been a logistical nightmare.

Oslo is the runaway favorite now, so I hope they keep with it, because they would put on a SPECTACULAR Olympics!
    Kyle

vCash
    Stockholm.

But for Oslo! I would totally make the effort to attend that. I've always wanted to visit Norway; it would be so awesome to try and see where some of my family lived before leaving for the US.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Beijing wants more venues that will stand empty afterwards?
    This is one thing I don't understand about cities that have had Olympics and then complain about the cost of those now empty buildings and sites. Yes, they build all these venues ....but why must they then just sit and deteriorate and sit empty and not be used? Why can't they make those sites training sites (I'm thinking things like the swimming venues and skiing/snowboarding/luge/bobsled tracks, the kayak/canoe sites moreso than gymnasiums, ice arenas and stadiums, which would be more difficult to do). Why can't those sites now become competition sites as well? Or is it just not cost effective to keep them running anymore?
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 01-20-2014 at 10:56 AM.

vCash
    Most bobsleigh and luge tracks are used after the games. One exception in Torino track, this track is so hard that nobody wants to train on it. I am not sure whether Vancouver track is used requirely considering how difficult they have made the track. As for Sochi, it is not considered very hard track and organisers have been mindful of the maximum speed attainable. I think Sochi track and Sanki track will be used for competition by Russian national team for training. Getmany has at least 4 tracks, they use these tracks for World Cup. (Deutschland hosts 4 out of the 8 World Cup events). If the planning is proper their is always a use for these tracks.

You can always use the existing facilities like London 2012 Olympics did with rowing facility. At the time of bidding they had proposed a semi-marshland, somewhere near east London as the proposed venue, later the organisers decided to use the existing venue at Eton college.
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 01-20-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Start saving now for Oslo!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    If Oslo does end up getting picked, I will immediately start a "Oslo Olympic fund" so I can go as that would be a spectacular Olympics to see in person. I think with 7 years to save it should be doable!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post

Guess I vote for Norway now.
    Me too. I thought it was going to come down to Stockholm vs Oslo, and I might have picked Stockholm.

I hope Beijing does not get the 2022 winter Olympics. They only recently hosted the summer Olympics. Also it would mean two consecutive winter Olympics in the far east.

vCash
    I have a hunch that Almaty is going to win. KAZ will surely spend tons of money trying to bribe everybody involved with the election process.

vCash
    I have a hunch that Almaty is going to win. KAZ will surely spend tons of money trying to bribe everybody involved with the election process.

Go Astana , Kazakhstan’s 21st-century capital… Poor Almaty can host an Olympics.

vCash
    ESPN's article on how Lillehammer "set the standard" for a Winter Olympics. It lamented how a small alpine city like that is unlikely to host the games anymore, which is sad. The article brought back memories, I loved those Olympics.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/olympics/...topslot=1&wjb=

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've been to L'vov (Russian way to pronounce it, L'viv is Ukrainian) quite a few times, nice city. Didn't they host some major soccer event recently?
    I can't see them or Kazakhstan getting the games after Russia's preparations have proven to be a cluster****. Which isn't fair, as they're not Russia. My preference would be Krakow or L'viv if only in the hopes the Western media might wake up to the fact they're separate countries and cultures from freakin' Russia and in a lot of cases do not have warm fuzzy feelings about their neighbor. Almaty would be fascinating, too. I hope Beijing or Scandinavian countries don't get it but I suspect....

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Really? Kazakhstan was less of a dictatorship when it was part of the U.S.S.R. during the Brezhnev era than it is now? Evidence, please.

Are you saying that the one-party rule with powers concentrated in one man, the "justice" system that provided no due process of law, and all of the attendant restrictions on speech and on the right of assembly, as was the case in the U.S.S.R. in 1980, Yugoslavia in 1984, and China just five years ago were acceptable then? In whose eyes? Not in mine, and I very much doubt in yours either.
    Seriously.(Would rep if I could rep.) If the Soviet Union was awarded an Olympics, I'm sorry, ANYTHING goes as far as violent oppressive dictatorships. In fact Poland or Ukraine getting it would be a nice sharp well-deserved poke in the eye. Though I'm not sure you'll make any points with someone who thinks having separate "whites only" and "coloreds only" water fountains is the equivalent of Nazi racial policy and treatment of the disabled (ie gas vans.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Most bobsleigh and luge tracks are used after the games. One exception in Torino track, this track is so hard that nobody wants to train on it. I am not sure whether Vancouver track is used requirely considering how difficult they have made the track. As for Sochi, it is not considered very hard track and organisers have been mindful of the maximum speed attainable. I think Sochi track and Sanki track will be used for competition by Russian national team for training. Getmany has at least 4 tracks, they use these tracks for World Cup. (Deutschland hosts 4 out of the 8 World Cup events). If the planning is proper their is always a use for these tracks.

You can always use the existing facilities like London 2012 Olympics did with rowing facility. At the time of bidding they had proposed a semi-marshland, somewhere near east London as the proposed venue, later the organisers decided to use the existing venue at Eton college.
    Moscow is still using the facilities from their 1980 Olympic games.

Some facilities from Sochi are going to be used for world soccer next year. Also they will be used as training center, from what I read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Some facilities from Sochi are going to be used for world soccer next year. Also they will be used as training center, from what I read.
    This is the benefit of having a centralised system. They can locate a major training centre there for many winter sports.

The only facilities that obviously will be left unused are the skiing ones because of lack of snow.

vCash
    This is the benefit of having a centralised system. They can locate a major training centre there for many winter sports.

The only facilities that obviously will be left unused are the skiing ones because of lack of snow.
    Skiing venues do have snow because they are up in the mountains.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Skiing venues do have snow because they are up in the mountains.
    The snow quality is terrible and there isn't enough of it. There lots of snow being artificially created or shipped in from elsewhere and they have Norwegian technicians hired to try to stay on top of it.

vCash

They can do that, although I'm not sure that's what Russia is doing. The figure skating venue is a temporary structure that will eventually be moved to Rostov-on-Don. I have no idea what is happening with the other sea-level venues, like the ones for curling and long-track speed skating.

China has a centralized system, but many of the venues used in 2008 are going unused.

Speaking of China, the country is building a high-speed line from Beijing to Zhangjiakou. That might eventually help China host the Winter Olympics, but, given that the 2018 Games will be in nearby South Korea, I don't think it's likely China will be hosting them in 2022.

vCash
    With the Sochi Olympics now drawing to a close and PyeongChang up next, I'm already thinking about the 2022 Winter Olympics. I really hope Oslo wins the Games. A three week trip to Scandinavia sounds like a wonderful 40th birthday present to myself (I'll turn 40 in late January, 2022). Perhaps start off in Copenhagen & Malmo for 5 days, head up to Stockholm for another 5 days, then spend the next 10 days in Oslo enjoying the Olympics!

Oslo 2022!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Oslo is now officially jinxed!

And if you thought London was expensive wait till you get to Scandinavia!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast