Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

2022 Olympics : Candidate Cities

Six cities have submitted bids to host 2022 olympics. The cities that have shown interests are Almaty (Kazakhstan), Lviv (Ukraine), Krakow (Poland), Beijing (China), Oslo (Norway) and Stockholm (Sweden). So there are 4 European cities and 2 asian cities biding for the games. Beijing or Almaty are highly unlikely to host the games after korea hosting the Previous winter games.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...oslo-stockholm
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 11-16-2013 at 11:17 AM.

vCash
    I can't believe Beijing is bidding.

If Stockholm were to win, they would be the first city to host three versions of the Olympics; Summer (1912) and the one off Equestrian Olympics (1956)
    http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...uestrian/1956/

vCash
    I bet it will be Poland.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I bet it will be Poland.
    There's no funding, no infrastructure, very uncertain weather and things are a complete and utter mess in general.

It's gonna be Oslo or Stockholm although I wouldn't count Almaty out. They are going to spend ridiculous amounts of money and the city already has incredible facilities.

vCash
    I hope Stockholm gets it.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    There's no funding, no infrastructure, very uncertain weather and things are a complete and utter mess in general.

It's gonna be Oslo or Stockholm although I wouldn't count Almaty out. They are going to spend ridiculous amounts of money and the city already has incredible facilities.
    What's the name of the famous mountain skating rink in Almaty? It's legend but of course, I forgot the name.

Never mind, it's Medeo.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It would be nice if the Games would be given to a city that is actually known for winter and won't have any problems financing the Games.

vCash
    I don't see Beijing (Another Asian city after 2018) or Oslo (another city in Norway) getting it.

I would love to see Krakow get it, but is it big enough? May be some events will be held at other places. I think Lillehamer was the smallest ever for winter Olympics up till now. Is Krakow smaller or larger?

I know very little about Almaty and Lviv (Ukr). They may actually be better to host. Stockholm may make a strong case.

vCash
    I think it's been long enough since Lillehammer that it shouldn't impede Oslo - at least I hope not. I'd love to see a Nordic country host again, be it Norway or Sweden.

vCash
    I vote for Stockholm or Oslo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think Lillehamer was the smallest ever for winter Olympics up till now. Is Krakow smaller or larger?
    Cracow's population is 28 times larger than Lilehammer's. When you consider the metropolitan area as well, 65 times larger.

I think that idea is a bit silly given Cracow is at least a 90 minute drive from the mountains where all the skiing events have to be held. Given the lack of infrastructure and terrible roads, how is that exactly supposed to work (when the theoretical 90 minutes become 4 hours of terrible traffic)?

Even at the starting point of putting together a proper bid and promoting bid, the city has to shell out millions of dollars. That it doesn't have. So, yeah good luck.

vCash
    I'd love for Stockholm to get it!

That would be an occasion I'd be willing to dish out $$$ for.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've been to L'vov (Russian way to pronounce it, L'viv is Ukrainian) quite a few times, nice city. Didn't they host some major soccer event recently?

The mountains are the Carpathians (beautiful) but are they tall enough for the skiing? It's an older mountain range than say and is flatter.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've been to L'vov (Russian way to pronounce it, L'viv is Ukrainian) quite a few times, nice city. Didn't they host some major soccer event recently?
    Ukraine cohosted the European Football (Soccer) Championships with Poland in June 2012 and the city hosted some of the matches.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

The mountains are the Carpathians (beautiful) but are they tall enough for the skiing? It's an older mountain range than say and is flatter.
    My family is from Lviv so sentimentally I would love to see it win - but I'm not sure how the Carpathians would function as the host for the skiing events and if Lviv has the infrastructure to support the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Almaty put on quite a show and end up winning, actually. As Ziggy said, Kazakhstan will be willing to put loads of money behind their bid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I would love to see Krakow get it, but is it big enough? May be some events will be held at other places. I think Lillehamer was the smallest ever for winter Olympics up till now.
    Um, Lake Placid?

Actually, Squaw Valley might be even smaller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw_V...ty,_California
    It is the home of the Squaw Valley Ski Resort, the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics. It is the smallest place in the world to ever host the Olympic Games.
    Last edited by RFOS; 11-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    And other than putting incredible amounts of money into the bid, Almaty have done their groundwork and they can claim experience running big events. They held the 2011 Asian Winter Games will host the 2017 Winter Universiade.

vCash
    In a way it will be nice to see a city that is not very well known host the Olympics. We will have a chance to learn a lot about the city and the country (speaking of Almaty and Kazhakstan)

vCash
    Lviv : I think it is too early for this city to host the games, especially 8 year after Sochi. Also, I don't think Ukraine has the financial power to host a successful Olympics.

Krakow: Again, financial strain on the country might be too much. The city is relatively close to Lviv.

Beijing: I am not sure why the city is biding for a winter games, are they trying to be the first city to host summer and winter games. Did they borrow this idea from Munich?

Stockholm: Very good chance, I would like to see the games come to Sweden.

Oslo: They too have a good chance, they can host a good games. Though, I hope they don't get it, especially since medal table will be the most uncompetitive ever, with Norway winning 30+ gold medal (they truly can win more than that).

Almaty : they have done all the right thing, they hosted all right events, they are rich, culturally have some similarity to Russia but still very unique. However, I think they will be pipped by the Scandinavians.

My preference is the order, Sweden, Norway, Kazakh, Poland, China and Ukraine.

vCash
    One country in Asia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast