vCash

Russian Pair Team, Kavaguti / Smirnov to Resume Training

I was perusing Japanese news re: Yuzuru Hanyu for the upcoming GP (in Paris, of course), but then I came across a news that perked me up even more .

Here is the link to the Japanese article: http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...2-1217149.html
    I did English translation as I found no update on K/S at the Russian skaters' thread, but really wanted to share this news. Perhaps Russian fans can enlighten us with more details.

Translation:

Japanese Nikkan Sport paper announced that according to Yuko Kavaguti, her partner Alexander SMIRNOV resumed training on 11/9/2013. Smirnov returned to St. Petersburg, his training location the last week, from Germany where he had been undergoing rehabilitation. The initial training, of course is done carefully.

Yuko Kavaguti gained her Russian citizenship in 2009 and had been gunning for the second Olympics until Smirnov’s right knee injury in October, 2013. On participating the upcoming Russian National Championships in the late December, Kavaguti was careful not to say decisively whether the couple could attend in that she “did not wish to push him too hard .”

Nevertheless, Kavaguti spoke favorably of their long program, Manfred Symphony in B minor, Op. 58, by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (choreographed by Peter Tchernyshev), and clearly expressed her wish to be able to skate the program at Sochi. She said that that’s her dearest dream.

I wish Smirnov's training goes smoothly without setback.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I hope they are not rushing his recovery. I am guessing they are doing off ice training/physio first?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I'm torn. I'm happy that there might be hope for Sochi, but concerned about further injury.

vCash
    The article did not specify the kind of training Smirnov is doing. I, too, am apprehensive about their training. From what I read, though, Yuko appears to be well-aware of the hazard of rushing things too quickly.

I just wish that they finish their armature career on their own terms, whatever the outcome.

vCash
    Surely Kavaguti knows all about not rushing and so does smirnov from being her partner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Surely Kavaguti knows all about not rushing and so does Smirnov from being her partner.
    I agree, the shoe has been on the other foot plenty with her shoulder problems. Even dislocating during the free skate at the Olympics. I'm sure K/S both know he can't rush his recovery but no one really knows how extensive his problem really was either. Moskvina has been really tight lipped about everything. Even saying when he went on the ice last week that he just skated around.

They won't be at Russian Nationals and I'm sure they won't be at the Olympics either since it's in under 90 days. Yuko can hope all she wants, it just won't happen. I can see them competing next year and even after that but unless they get a new coach who looks out for future injuries and prevents them, he won't stand a chance.

If they do stick around I hope they move to Oleg Vasiliev.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I hope they are not rushing his recovery.
    Me too. I would love to see them at Sochi but worry they might be pushing him too soon. Here's hoping he's just a quick healer and the surgery went better than anyone could hope leading him to a very quick recovery

YEAH!
    vCash
    I am thrilled for them. I'm going to be optimistic and believe that if they are back to training that is with the doctor's approval and that Moskvina is doing everything right. If anyone has the will to come back, it's them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I'm torn. I'm happy that there might be hope for Sochi, but concerned about further injury.
    Yup. Sounds like we're all concerned. We certainly don't need another perpetually injured skater who comes back from injury too soon. Plushenko and Shabalin have already fulfilled the Russian quota for that, thankyouverymuch.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    They won't be at Russian Nationals and I'm sure they won't be at the Olympics either since it's in under 90 days. Yuko can hope all she wants, it just won't happen.
    Agreed, unfortunately.

vCash
    I hope they don't rush their comeback, as much as I want them to win an olympic medal.

vCash
    Only God knows what the future holds, but selfishly I hope the Olympics is in their future. Never say never, anything, and I mean *anything* is possible, the sky's the limit!

vCash
    Good luck to them.

vCash
    I can't see them going on much longer after this season. She's 32 and he's 29.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I can't see them going on much longer after this season. She's 32 and he's 29.
    For a pair they are not too old. They could easily go another year or two.

vCash
    Good luck to them! They deserve this final competition!

vCash
    I take it he did not have surgery
    Marci

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciajsR View Post
    I take it he did not have surgery
    He had surgery October 12th.