Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think Plushenko will pull out all of the stops in the Team competition. Whether he'll be in any shape to compete in the individual Men's event is another story, and I'd bet Kovtun is going to be competition ready, and even if he's not called to Sochi until after the TE, he won't have to travel far.
    I thought I read you can't make that change.. hopefully I was wrong!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There are two sets of rules here: if there is a single skater or team that skips the Team Event, they can't compete in the individual event. Separately, there are the standard Olympic injury substitution rules, none of which I've seen published anywhere, although there are plenty of documents from different national sports Federations that reference that there is such a policy. There was conjecture that there could be no injury substitutions after official practices for the event started, but Michelle Kwan was on practice ice in Torino, withdrew, and was replaced by Emily Hughes.

The major skating Federations with enough qualified skaters will have their appointed alternates "on call" the way Hughes was at least for the individual events. (The injury substitution rules might not apply to the Team Event, because there might not be enough time between the 27 January 2014 deadline to submit the participants and substitutes forms and whatever the injury deadline is.) If Plushenko withdraws after the Team Event because of his physical condition, by whatever medical verification standards the IOC has set up, then the substitute for the individual events, if the substitution deadline for the Men's event hasn't passed. The same would be true for any other competitors in the individual events, whether they are still recovering from injury or illness at the participant registration deadline, like Kwan, or they become injured or ill while in Sochi. I'm sure that any day of the week, Plushenko has enough physical challenges that he could pass medical injury standards. They don't have a baseline physical to which they later compare.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I thought I read you can't make that change.. hopefully I was wrong!
    Nobody knows! It's a total mystery if someone can be substituted after the team event for individual! Total mystery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I agree with both. This is disappointing news. In 2010 he proved he was tops in Europe and beat out solid competition like Lambiel and Joubert, but he avoided the top North American and Asian men all season (he met Weir at CoR). This makes me uneasy. Yu-Na is different. At least she competed at Worlds a few times this quad. But it's his decision, I guess he feels the risk of injury is not worth it. I really hope he does Euros. I can see the Russian fed allowing him to skip Nationals... the other Russian guys are flirting with last place at their GPs. The only way I can see someone else making it is by winning Euros over Plush and Fernandez, and that is not going to happen.

I see him correcting the mistakes of Vancouver in terms of his jump layout and point maximizing strategy, and that's great, but he needs more feedback on the programs and to get a sense of how his PCS will be scored internationally against real competition.

Can anyone confirm that his TES scores from Volvo will count... there was some kind of an issue with not having enough countries represented on the panel?
    It is not a total rerun of Vancouver campaign because the free skate has 3a-3t at the halfway point. But no sp bonus jumps!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Nobody knows! It's a total mystery if someone can be substituted after the team event for individual! Total mystery.
    There's no official substitution policy except for medical withdrawal and replacement, just like when Galiyeva had an "injury" and Gutsu replaced her in the women's all-around competition in gymnastics. We just don't know what the deadlines are for making the substitutions.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Disappointing but it seems he is pacing himself. His goal right now is to qualify for the Olympics (and later to medal there, I assume). I am disappointed that we won't see him at COR but I would rather he stay healthy for the Olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Before, there wasn't really anyone capable of producing the TES on the jump elements to overtake him, even if they got solid PCS. But if Chan & Fernanadez, who have free skates with multiple quads, and maybe Hanyu, Takahashi or even Machida skate clean, Plushenko's empty programs wouldn't be enough.
    Plushy is going to score high on components, no matter how "empty" his program is. And even then, transitions are only one part of the components score. He will score well into the 9's on interpretation, performance and skating skills, all of which are fairly subjective. I also think he will be given high credit in Russia for transitions, regardless of how he skates. Plushy also tends to skate clean technically, unlike most everyone else. I wouldn't count him out.

vCash
    I dunno, their motive is clearly Sochi and only that, non a gazilionth competitions at Cor or Euros, and maybe they are also realistic at where he stands right now so their goal is to have a good skate in his home country, not medalling. He is one of the faces of Russia for the Olys anyway. I think maybe too that after team event he would stop. And what was this article about tarasova applying a second spot for team event? I so wish Team event was at the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    Plushy is going to score high on components, no matter how "empty" his program is. And even then, transitions are only one part of the components score. He will score well into the 9's on interpretation, performance and skating skills, all of which are fairly subjective. I also think he will be given high credit in Russia for transitions, regardless of how he skates. Plushy also tends to skate clean technically, unlike most everyone else. I wouldn't count him out.
    If he's going to be that slow and have that little ice coverage, it would be completely inappropriate to give him 9s for Skating Skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If he's going to be that slow and have that little ice coverage, it would be completely inappropriate to give him 9s for Skating Skills.
    Is it appropriate that V\T get a perfect 10 for Interpretation in Jesus christ superstar ?

It's Figure skating, If the score doesn't make sense, The politics behind it do

vCash
    We are talking about a guy who is held together with string and sticky tape at the moment. I'm not surprised that any little twinge would have them pulling the plug on an "unnecessary" competition.

But I think he will come to Nationals, for his eleventh title, and to show that he is still the king, still the master of the others. I think he will also go to Euros, for his ninth title, and to prove that he is the one that should go.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    WOW! That was awe-inspiring! AMAZING!!! Unquestionably, I believe Evgeni Plushenko is the greatest jump technician in the history of figure skating. His jumps cover so much ice and he is so dependable and consistent with landing them. His technique is pure. You don't see his protocols littered with <, <<, e, or -GOE. He really is one of a kind. I respect so much what he is doing with his comeback! He is not all talk; he's actually out there competing and he still has the skills and talent that made him so famous. Does anyone else besides me think he has actually improved a lot with age? IMO, he shows more emotion and passion now in his skating and his music choices have improved with age too I think. I am rooting for him to skate his best in Sochi. GO ZHENYA!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    That was a B event, not the real thing (the Olympics).
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why do you think so that? He has a great SS. Haven't you read what said Camerlengo about it? And check it his old SS scores! This is higher a little bit, bu this is a minor competition, and he was so amazing live..
    Last edited by lala; 11-14-2013 at 06:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    WOW! That was awe-inspiring! AMAZING!!! Unquestionably, I believe Evgeni Plushenko is the greatest jump technician in the history of figure skating. His jumps cover so much ice and he is so dependable and consistent with landing them. His technique is pure. You don't see his protocols littered with <, <<, e, or -GOE. He really is one of a kind. I respect so much what he is doing with his comeback! He is not all talk; he's actually out there competing and he still has the skills and talent that made him so famous. Does anyone else besides me think he has actually improved a lot with age? IMO, he shows more emotion and passion now in his skating and his music choices have improved with age too I think. I am rooting for him to skate his best in Sochi. GO ZHENYA!!!
    And you don't forget he learn new spins! His spins are 3-4 levels

vCash
    Why do you think so that? He has a great SS. Haven't you read what said Camerlengo about it? And check it his old SS scores! This is higher a little bit, bu this is a minor competition, and he was so amazing live..
    He lost a lot of speed and power after so many injuries, surgeries, plus he's 31 years old. Probably that's his plan to be in top shape by Olympics. If he is healthy I bet he will show more transitions, SS, etc than people think. This time probably they really studied the rules.

That is what good technique means. One day you sit in front of your TV, eating pizza and a few months later you skate at the Olympics, one day you can barely walk, a couple of months later you jump 4T and 3A. I'm very curious until what age Plushy will be able to jump 3As (if he doesn't lose his shape very much when he retires).
    Last edited by ciocio; 11-14-2013 at 07:49 AM.

vCash
    my goodness me .... just watched the LP. Good that he landed the jumps. but the programme is completely empty ... probably a 5.0 for transitions (and something similar for choreography) would be quite generous ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    He lost a lot of speed and power after so many injuries, surgeries, plus he's 31 years old. Probably that's his plan to be in top shape by Olympics. If he is healthy I bet he will show more transitions, SS, etc than people think. This time probably they really studied the rules.
    I think his jumps and speed are still intact although I cannot see much transitions.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    WOW! That was awe-inspiring! AMAZING!!! Unquestionably, I believe Evgeni Plushenko is the greatest jump technician in the history of figure skating. His jumps cover so much ice and he is so dependable and consistent with landing them. His technique is pure. You don't see his protocols littered with <, <<, e, or -GOE. He really is one of a kind.
    That's becuase he doesn't include the flip, on which he would otherwise get an "e"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Is it appropriate that V\T get a perfect 10 for Interpretation in Jesus christ superstar ?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    It's Figure skating, If the score doesn't make sense, The politics behind it do

His old SS scores are not relevant to how he is skating now. In Vancouver, he was slower and has less ice coverage than other top skaters. His choreography and transitions were very sparse because he was not in a good enough physical shape to skate a program that would be more complex.

This is even more of an issue now, given his deteriorating physical condition, as a result of numerous injuries building up all the time. Watch the Volvo Cup video. He is very slow for a skater of this standard (a skater with his past results, capable of landing 4t and all triples) and he covers hardly any ice.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast