Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Plushenko withdraws from Rostelecom Cup after having won Volvo Cup (Sr B) in Latvia

http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20131113/700869490.html
    MOSCOW, November 13 (R-Sport) - Evgeny Plushenko has pulled out of next week's Cup of Russia Grand Prix after accruing enough points to qualify for Olympic contention at a second-tier event in Latvia last week, the Russian Figure Skating Federation said Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Plushenko skated to victory by more than 40 points at the Volvo Cup in Riga, his first competition in nine months after undergoing surgery on a back injury.

He was on the list to appear at the Rostelecom Cup, the fifth Grand Prix of a six event season, but federation's president Alexander Gorshkov said Plushenko would skip it to continue with an individual training program.
    ETA an updated version of the article: http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20131113/700869490.html
    16:33 13.11.2013 (Last updated 18:12 13.11.2013)
    MOSCOW, November 13 (R-Sport) - Evgeny Plushenko has pulled out of next week's Cup of Russia Grand Prix with a minor knee injury, his coach was quoted as saying Wednesday.
    But Plushenko, who targets gold at his home Winter Games in February, suffered a knee injury in training on Wednesday and won't be appearing at the November 22-24 event in Moscow.

"Today during training Zhenya received a micro-injury of the left knee and doctors have recommended the athlete to decrease his workload," Alexei Mishin was quoted as saying on the Russian Figure Skating Federation website, using Plushenko's nickname.
    ETA #2: Plushenko's programs at last week's Volvo Cup in Riga, Latvia:

SP detailed protocols: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22..._SP_Scores.pdf
    FS detailed protocols: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22..._FS_Scores.pdf
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-13-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The withdraws this season are reaching ridiculous levels.

vCash
    He probably won't participate in other competitions until Olys. Maybe Euros, but he could skip it too. A very bad decision in my opinion, he should present his programs in international competitions as often as possible before Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    He probably won't participate in other competitions until Olys. Maybe Euros, but he could skip it too. A very bad decision in my opinion, he should present his programs in international competitions as often as possible before Sochi.
    I hope he at least competes at Russian Nationals. It would be unfair if he's automatically given an Olympic spot.

vCash
    too bad we won't have plushy vs. kovtun pt.1;
    i can't think of the russian fed giving him a bye through nationals, but who knows

vCash
    Both Plushenko and Yuna Kim are following their own path this season--not doing the Grand Prix or any major competition before Sochi (unless Plush shows up at Euros), just a senior B for each. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I watched Plushenko's Volvo Cup LP yesterday. The jumps were surprisingly solid, but the rest of the program? There's hardly anything in it, just a couple spins and a footwork sequence at the end. If Plushenko got out and competed against some real rivals, I think he'd see that he needs to add transitions & complexity to the program. My worry is, by avoiding real competition, he can persuade himself into thinking this program is enough. I don't understand his strategy--to me, it seems like he's making the same mistakes he did in 2010. But, it's his show and he's going to run it the way he wants to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    too bad we won't have plushy vs. kovtun pt.1;
    i can't think of the russian fed giving him a bye through nationals, but who knows
    Kovtun won't beat him anyway, unless he is too injured, so he would obviously stay home (attend form the audience).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Both Plushenko and Yuna Kim are following their own path this season--not doing the Grand Prix or any major competition before Sochi (unless Plush shows up at Euros), just a senior B for each. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I watched Plushenko's Volvo Cup LP yesterday. The jumps were surprisingly solid, but the rest of the program? There's hardly anything in it, just a couple spins and a footwork sequence at the end. If Plushenko got out and competed against some real rivals, I think he'd see that he needs to add transitions & complexity to the program. My worry is, by avoiding real competition, he can persuade himself into thinking this program is enough. I don't understand his strategy--to me, it seems like he's making the same mistakes he did in 2010. But, it's his show and he's going to run it the way he wants to.
    The program is not ready, I mean he is not ready to skate it as it should. He probably WD because he does not want to push himself too much so early in the season and wasn't able to present other content than he already did in Riga.

YEAH!
    vCash
    If Plushenko got out and competed against some real rivals, I think he'd see that he needs to add transitions & complexity to the program. My worry is, by avoiding real competition, he can persuade himself into thinking this program is enough. I don't understand his strategy--to me, it seems like he's making the same mistakes he did in 2010. But, it's his show and he's going to run it the way he wants to.
    I agree with both. This is disappointing news. In 2010 he proved he was tops in Europe and beat out solid competition like Lambiel and Joubert, but he avoided the top North American and Asian men all season (he met Weir at CoR). This makes me uneasy. Yu-Na is different. At least she competed at Worlds a few times this quad. But it's his decision, I guess he feels the risk of injury is not worth it. I really hope he does Euros. I can see the Russian fed allowing him to skip Nationals... the other Russian guys are flirting with last place at their GPs. The only way I can see someone else making it is by winning Euros over Plush and Fernandez, and that is not going to happen.

I see him correcting the mistakes of Vancouver in terms of his jump layout and point maximizing strategy, and that's great, but he needs more feedback on the programs and to get a sense of how his PCS will be scored internationally against real competition.

Can anyone confirm that his TES scores from Volvo will count... there was some kind of an issue with not having enough countries represented on the panel?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Kovtun already knew Plushenko planned to withdraw and mentioned it after COC. Mishin knows what they need to do and they don't need to present it. It's not worth the risk of injury to skate at COR. He's got the points. I would expect him to compete at either Russian Nationals or Europeans but not both. Again there is no need. They've seen what the other skaters are doing (and frankly none of the men are that stellar at this point in the season). The knee injury is a convenient excuse. Let's face it. The focus is on Sochi. Plushenko doesn't need any other comps now that he has the required points. Mishin stated very publically, the programs weren't polished or complete. They were put together at the Volvo comp just to get the TES points. If his jumps are secure (which is the biggest issue), they'll fill in the rest of the blanks between now and February. Plushenko's best bet of a medal at Sochi will be based on his jump content. He will play to his strengths. So would I in his case. And, given the insecurity with jumps exhibited by the other top male contenders, he has a good chance of a medal as long as he doesn't injure himself. Certainly, some of the other men could skate very well at Sochi and win, but they could also fall multiple times. He can only do what he can do. If I were Mishin, I wouldn't risk injury at anything less than Sochi either. Russia can use Nationals and Europeans to pick the World team.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    What a shock... It was so unexpected...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    What a shock... It was so unexpected...
    IKR

vCash
    No surprise, on the contrary, I was wondering why they were so late, already in Volvo Cup Plushenko stated
    "I just haven't decided yet whether to perform at Moscow stage of ISU Grand Prix circuit," he said, "My main goal is my fourth Olympics, where I want to earn a place at the podium. And I'm ready to change my plans radically to prepare for the Games in the best possible way."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    No surprise, on the contrary, I was wondering why they were so late, already in Volvo Cup Plushenko stated
    "I just haven't decided yet whether to perform at Moscow stage of ISU Grand Prix circuit,"
    I'm beginning to think the feds really ARE conspiring to not replace skaters so their skater's there have less competition. I joked about it earlier in the season, but all the late withdraws are getting ridiculous.

vCash
    Who is going to replace him? Menshov or Voronov I guess?

I hope it's Menshov since he placed higher than Voronov at NHK.

I highly doubt that his body would be able to take it. He should take it easy until Olympics.

Kovtun won't beat him anyway, unless he is too injured, so he would obviously stay home (attend form the audience).
    A clean Kovtun should beat him given the amount of quads he is attempting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Who is going to replace him? Menshov or Voronov I guess?

I hope it's Menshov since he placed higher than Voronov at NHK.

I highly doubt that his body would be able to take it. He should take it easy until Olympics.

A clean Kovtun should beat him given the amount of quads he is attempting.

If Plushenko is able to deliver the technical content as planned, I think Kovtun will need three quads and some good PCS.

vCash
    Understandable. His goal is Sochi and Sochi only. I do think he should compete at at least one serious competition before the Olys so that he could see where he is compared to the others, but maybe Rostelecom was just too soon. I'm wondering if he'll compete at Europeans. It would actually be extremely interesting to see him go against Fernandez if the latter finds his top form. Can you imagine Plush being beaten by a Spanish guy right before the Olys? But then again, that might also be a reason for him to skip it and avoid real competition until the ultimate battle.

Either way, his comeback will definitely add spice. I'm in no way a fan of him, but it's gonna be interesting having him around in Sochi.

vCash
    ...I watched Plushenko's Volvo Cup LP yesterday. The jumps were surprisingly solid, but the rest of the program? There's hardly anything in it, just a couple spins and a footwork sequence at the end. If Plushenko got out and competed against some real rivals, I think he'd see that he needs to add transitions & complexity to the program. My worry is, by avoiding real competition, he can persuade himself into thinking this program is enough. I don't understand his strategy--to me, it seems like he's making the same mistakes he did in 2010. But, it's his show and he's going to run it the way he wants to.
    Why would he think that now? Empty programs have never kept him off the podium before.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Good news, he doesn't need to risk injuring himself at 31 yrs. of age with a history of multiple injuries (& surgeries) over the decades (not to mention a new back/spine), unlike the young ones that are almost half his age and whose bodies are fresh. Also, others need the GP to make a name for themselves, add a medal to their resume, et al. This isn't the case for Evgeni, he's already paid his dues, and he already has 18 GP gold medals, 3 GP silver medals, and 4 GPF gold medals (btw he holds the record for men). He's more than earned the right to skip a GP or two at this stage in his career, and rightfully so, better to be safe than sorry...

That said, for my own personal selfish reasons I would love to see him do one more Russian Nationals, just to add an 11th National Title (knock on wood) to his resume, and thereby tie John Ferguson Page (Britain), Oliver Honer (Switzerland), and Werner Rittberger (Germany) in number of National Titles Won. Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria holds the record with 14, though his bio says 11, however the Bulgarian National site states 14. The same goes for Euros, if he goes & wins he'll tie Karl Schafer (Austria) with 8 European Titles. Right now he sits in 3rd with 7. Ulrich Salchow of Sweden holds the record at 9.

But of course the ultimate destination/goal is the Olympics in his homeland (the first time Russia will ever hold the Winter Olympics). So if he has to forego everything else to reach his ultimate destination, then I'm totally fine with it, especially seeing as if he is Russia's pick, he would have to skate 4 times! He would have to skate the SP & FS for the mens portion in the first ever Team Event, then again the SP & FS in the Individual Event. That's a heck of a lot of skating in thee most watched premiere event at the Winter Olympics. Just hoping & praying his body holds up...

ps: on that note, I really hope he didn't injure his knee, and is taking it easy on the ole bod, as he has to save it for the truly important competition(s). jmho.

vCash
    Could you post the link to his Volvo Cup skate?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast