vCash

Questions following meniscus surgery

My surgery was 5 days ago and I am still feeling quite a bit of pain. On the scale of 1 -10, the pain radiates between a 6.5 and 8. The area above and below the knee is swollen and there are a few bruises behind the knee. The incision area is dry and does not appear infected. I have had surgery before but not this type.

I am definitely not athletic so I will not bounce back as quickly as someone who works out on a daily basis. My questions are:

1. The pain radiates from the soles of my foot to the top of my knee, has anyone else experienced this?

2. what OTC pain relief did you find worked best after surgery? I was on Vicodin but I ran out and am not crazy about the side effects.

vCash
    I haven't had meniscus surgery but I had surgery for a broken leg and I mostly took Tylenol for the pain. I started out on oxycodone but broke out in hives after 5 days. I found the 8-hour Tylenol to be pretty good - and less pills to take. Post-surgery pain tends to be far-reaching, so I would imagine what you're describing is normal, and it's been less than a week - it should probably start to subside soon. When do you go back to the doctor? Is there a timetable for when you will start PT?

Good luck with the recovery! I hope you start to feel better soon!

vCash
    I had knee surgery a couple of years ago. Vicodin was too strong and it left me in a haze.
    Extra strength Tylenol did okay. And coldpacks - lots of coldpacks. My knee was swollen and hurting for more than a week.
    I hope you feel better soon.

After that uncomfortable post surgery period, I recovered quickly.