Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Caroline was pretty terrible in the FS. Only two triples and they looked < to me. It looks like her technique on the 3F has regressed somewhat. She's extremely slow and the program is empty. I don't think she'll place top 10 this year...
    Caroline's mule kick looks worse than ever. I thought she had fought so hard to correct that, yet there she was, hacking away at the ice. She was very lucky to be competing out of the weakest Sectionals group.

Title-less
    vCash
    If I were USFSA I would add F Chiera to ISP and send her to a sr B, just in case she does well enough at nationals and you don't wanna end up skipping her for assignments for lack of a qualifying score. That said, I am not sure if USFS is always so forward thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    If the US is required to name a 4CC team and three alternates before Nationals (this was what they had to do 4 years ago), and they already have said they will not send the Olympic team to 4CC, I wonder if they would leave Wagner off the 4CC list entirely, and assume she will be going to the Olympics and/or Worlds? Would they do the same for Gold?
    My guess is that (if the 4CCs team needs to be named before the competition ends) USFS will have a straightforward procedure that makes no assumptions about who makes the team. IIRC last time they simply asked eligible skaters what events they wanted to be considered for. I remember Wagner said she did not want the 4CC assignment, but I don't remember about Flatt or Nagasu. I hope they don't publicly pre-judge the event.

I can see Wagner making the same decision again. I think all the other skaters would/should choose to compete at 4CCs though. I would submit the first six senior skaters who want to go by SB score: Gold, Nagasu, Gao, Cesario, Edmunds, Zawadski. . . .

I think that's the most fair thing, but I also hope Cain has at least a shot at 4CCs since she's not eligible for Jr. Worlds. If Edmunds finishes in the top three, I think she'll go the Olympics, but otherwise I'd send her to Jr Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    If I were USFSA I would add F Chiera to ISP and send her to a sr B, just in case she does well enough at nationals and you don't wanna end up skipping her for assignments for lack of a qualifying score. That said, I am not sure if USFS is always so forward thinking.
    I was just looking at Chiera's scores and wondering that. USFSA does not think like that. She probably won't be able to go anywhere regardless of how she skates at nationals. She will be 18 before she gets to the senior GP.
    Last edited by Flying Camel; 11-25-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    I suspect Chiera won't get an assignment before nationals. If she places top 8, THEN she'll get sent to a sr B in March. But no Jr world or 4cc for her even if she does well

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoptoad View Post
    I think that's the most fair thing, but I also hope Cain has at least a shot at 4CCs since she's not eligible for Jr. Worlds.
    According to her ISU bio, Cain was born July 22, 1995. Doesn't that make her junior age eligible per ISU rules this season and next?

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012260.htm

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    According to her ISU bio, Cain was born July 22, 1995. Doesn't that make her junior age eligible per ISU rules this season and next?
    Yes. Cain was listed as a JGP alternate this fall before she was assigned to Nebelhorn. She will still be 18 on July 1, 2014, so is ISU Junior age-eligible through the 2014-15 season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, I didn't realize that Cain was still Jr eligible!

vCash
    This is one area in the system that needs to be fixed. That is awful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I suspect Chiera won't get an assignment before nationals. If she places top 8, THEN she'll get sent to a sr B in March. But no Jr world or 4cc for her even if she does well
    They sent Marley/Brubaker to Nesquik cup in January, since they needed the min scores and were too new to get an assigmnent in the fall, good thing too since they skated in FCC a month later thanks to having the scores. They weren't in the ISP, at least not online, either. So they've done it before.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    They sent Marley/Brubaker to Nesquik cup in January, since they needed the min scores and were too new to get an assigmnent in the fall, good thing too since they skated in FCC a month later thanks to having the scores. They weren't in the ISP, at least not online, either. So they've done it before.
    Thanks for the info.

I suspect USFS needs to submit a long subs list to 4CC before Nationals is over given the fact that 4CC is in late January. So Chiera is most likely not gonna be eligible for that one even if she places top 6.

vCash
    Prospective entries to 4cc are due on 12/30/13. I think in 2010, USFSA submitted like 8 skaters for both men and ladies, and more than 3 pairs and dance teams. I expect they will do the same thing this year.

I'd be surprised if they submitted Chiera's name before she's earned the international minimum.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    USFS had said the skaters going to the Olympics would not go to 4CCs.

So I guess judging by their standing and their season so far, the names under consideration should be:

Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks, Cesario, Wang, Edmunds etc.

In fact, even 4CCs will be quite jammed with these bottom of tier 1 or top of tier 2 skaters (and they all medalled / skated well enough this season) that I think they will likely leave Wang and Edmunds to Jr Worlds no matter how they skated at Nationals.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Hurray! An article about 2014 Eastern Sectional Senior Ladies champion Franchesca Chiera! http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/26/64222788
    Excerpt:
    "I just felt really confident, and I really wanted to go out and do what I knew I could do," said Chiera, who trains in Coral Springs, Fla., at the same practice rink as the NHL's Florida Panthers. "I was just really well prepared."

"We are very proud of her," added one of her coaches, Ilona Melnichenko. "It wasn't a surprise for me to see her skate like she did (at Easterns) because she skates that way for us in practice. But it was her first time skating in sectionals."

To accelerate her progress, Chiera had to get busy. After her disappointing performance at regionals last season, she and her coaches sat down and came to a decision: Since she already had the triple jumps, why not move up a level? She took her junior test shortly thereafter, and in January took her senior test.

"I think maybe we gave her two days off after those regionals," said Melnichenko, who handles Chiera's choreography and spins. "We told her, 'One bad performance doesn't have to stop you from achieving your goals.'"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    http://www.usfsa.org/content/2014%20qualifiers.pdf

I hope Karen Chen's omission was just an error?

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    http://www.usfsa.org/content/2014%20qualifiers.pdf

I hope Karen Chen's omission was just an error?
    ACK! She's not too injured to compete at Nationals I hope! I really wanted to see how she would do at Jr. Worlds.

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Prospective entries to 4cc are due on 12/30/13. I think in 2010, USFSA submitted like 8 skaters for both men and ladies, and more than 3 pairs and dance teams. I expect they will do the same thing this year.

I'd be surprised if they submitted Chiera's name before she's earned the international minimum.
    I will have to go back and look, but I think they were allowed to submit 6 names (not 8) last year. And I agree they won't submit Chiera; but they may regret it if she pulls off a surprise appearance in the top 6-8 at nats (which she appears capable of given her scores last weekend.)

vCash
    Isn't Karen injured? I thought that was why she withdrew from from the JGP Final.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    Isn't Karen injured? I thought that was why she withdrew from from the JGP Final.
    Yes, but there hasn't been official word yet about her withdrawing from Nationals. The fact that she is not listed on the Nationals roster published today seems to indicate she has withdrawn from Nationals. If I hear anything "official," I will post.

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    On her blog as recently as last week (11/20) she still seemed to be hoping to go to Nationals.

http://gokarenchen.wordpress.com/201...inal/#comments

ETA: I wonder if she skips nationals, If USFSA would make an exception for her and send her to Jr. Worlds anyway? If someone was ever worth an exception it would be her, considering the points she racked up this season.

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast