Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

vCash
    Yay! Mirai placed 3rd among the senior ladies.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    I just saw Rachael Flatt's Rach 2 free skate she choreographed herself. Well, it's not good. I wish she had consulted a professional choreographer. There's hardly anything in between technical elements besides a few obvious arm waves to the obvious highlights in the music, which Rach provides in abundance.

vCash
    I didn't realize Rachael had choreographed her freeskate program herself. I was wondering why it was all jump-jump-spin-jump and no in-betweens.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I didn't realize Rachael had choreographed her freeskate program herself. I was wondering why it was all jump-jump-spin-jump and no in-betweens.
    I don't think it's wise for anyone at the elite level to choreograph their own programs in an Olympic year - unless you have a talent for it (which Flatt does not imo) unlike someone like say Marina Klimova who choreographed the '92 Olympic Polka OD for herself and her husband Sergei Ponomorenko with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    For Nationals, they need to house Mirai in a germ-free zone to keep her from getting sick like last year
    It's funny, I was thinking something alone those lines a few hours ago when I watched the women's LP at Rostelecom Cup on youtube...

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I definitely hope her medal is a confidence booster. She only got dinged for under-rotating a 2T, of all things. If she keeps this going her prospects are very good. Nice to see she got all level 4 spins, too. All she needs is that 2A+3T to gets more points.
    And a 3-3 in the LP wouldn't hurt either. All the top women are doing at least one 3-3 combo in their LPs.

Now if only Mirai could get back that enchanting quality she used to have and not look so poker-faced in her programs. Love her to bits but she's still doing it! I wish she could find a choreographer who could create programs that would inspire her - but it's not going to happen. Too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    If mirai can continue to skate well, she can really make a case for the third spot. Also, if she can keep it up through the next couple seasons, she may be able to even push Gracie and Ashley. I hope she does!
    I do too. Skaters like Wagner, Czisny, and especially Kostner give me hope that even Mirai may have a second comeback even now in her 20s (2010 being her first comeback after her rough 2009 Season).

Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    Well, Grand Prix judges giving her 4's and 5's for PCS tells the whole story to me. There 4-5 other ladies with much stronger packages and consistently higher PCS. Hicks can jump, and that gives meat to her TES, but I think the judges will be much less generous this Nationals.
    Courtney is an terrific jumper - but that's about it for the moment. She still has a ways to go in overall performance qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    Wouldn't it be in Mirai's best interests to work on either:
    1) replacing the 2a-3t with a 3t-2a sequence
    2) working on a back up plan that replaces the second 2a with a 3t if the first combo is missed?

Given that she has no salchow, it's a shame to see her complete LPs with no toe-loop, considering she does a 3t-3t in the short.
    I wonder why Mirai can't do salchows anymore? Or if she's even tried training them these past few seasons. And if she wants to be competitive with the best I think that Mirai MUST get a 3-3 back into her LP at some point. And a 7 triple program would boost her TES to no end...
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I just saw Rachael Flatt's Rach 2 free skate she choreographed herself. Well, it's not good. I wish she had consulted a professional choreographer. There's hardly anything in between technical elements besides a few obvious arm waves to the obvious highlights in the music, which Rach provides in abundance.
    Unfortunately all those AP and SAT exams she/her team hyped up never emphasized musical sensitivity.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Posted this inside the Pac Sectionals K&C thread, and reposting out here:

Is Caroline Zhang still coached by Karen & Peter? For the Pac Sectionals SP, she was stretching beforehand in front of / near Karen and Peter, but they were not at the boards (or anywhere clearly in sight) for both her SP warmup or SP performance. She had no coaches at the boards for both. This is despite the fact that she skated early in the SP and Anna Malkova (a Karen/Peter pupil) skated late in the SP, so no conflicts there, if indeed she is still coached by Karen & Peter.

For the Pac Sectionals LP, I could see Peter standing far off to the side while Caroline skated, but not at the boards like a coach would during the performance. I don't recall seeing any other coach at the boards.

vCash
    Caroline at this point should just give up her spot to Nationals to some other deserving skater that won't storm off before she sees her scores. She's done. Midwestern sectionals had much better skaters and skating. Pacific group top 4 is made up of skaters on their last legs or who have stagnated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Caroline at this point should just give up her spot to Nationals to some other deserving skater that won't storm off before she sees her scores. She's done. Midwestern sectionals had much better skaters and skating. Pacific group top 4 is made up of skaters on their last legs or who have stagnated.
    aren't you a ray of sunshine................

vCash
    Wait did Caroline qualify for Nationals?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Qualifiers for 2014 Nationals in Senior Ladies:

Midwesterns top 4:
    1 Hannah Miller, Lansing SC 59.52 (1) 115.28 (1) 174.80
    2 Ashley Cain, Stars FSC of Texas 57.59 (3) 106.91 2) 164.50
    3 Barbie Long, Illinois Valley FSC 57.43 (4) 100.02 (3) 157.45
    4 Mariah Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC 57.59 2) 97.32 (4) 154.91
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...017SEG034.html

Easterns top 4:
    1 Franchesca Chiera, Panthers FSC 57.27 (1) 115.51 (1) 172.78
    2 Kiri Baga, SC of Boston 54.31 (3) 97.53 (2) 151.84
    3 Joelle Forte, SC of New York 52.86 (4) 86.12 (3) 138.98
    4 Yasmin Siraj, SC of Boston (2) 56.95 81.98 (5) 138.93
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...016SEG026.html

Pacific Coast top 4:
    1 Vanessa Lam, All Year FSC 53.66 (2) 100.94 (1) 154.60
    2 Rachael Flatt, St. Moritz ISC 51.61 (3) 96.62 (2) 148.23
    3 Leah Keiser, All Year FSC 56.92 (1) 89.71 (3) 146.63
    4 Caroline Zhang, All Year FSC (4) 51.11 82.83 (5) 133.94
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...017SEG025.html

Byes to Nationals in Senior Ladies (9): Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Agnes Zawadzki, Courtney Hicks, Christina Gao, Mirai Nagasu, Samantha Cesario, Angela Wang, Polina Edmunds

Thanks for the update!
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Congrats to Mirai Nagasu on her bronze medal and new SB score at Rostelecom Cup! She definitely redeemed herself from NHK Trophy. Also congrats to Agnes Zawadzki who set a new SB score at Rostelecom Cup!

And Courtney Hicks defeated Miki Ando at Ice Challenge -- her second international win of the season!

2013-14 U.S. Ladies

Top International Scores (through 11/23/13)
    1. Ashley WAGNER, Trophee Eric Bompard (194.37)
    2. Gracie GOLD, Skate Canada (186.65)
    3. Karen CHEN, JGP Slovakia (179.08) - JR in U.S.
    4. Mirai NAGASU, Rostelecom Cup (175.37)
    5. Christina GAO, Skate Canada (173.69)
    6. Samantha CESARIO, Trophee Eric Bompard (172.70)

7. Courtney HICKS, U.S. Classic (171.88)
    8. Polina EDMUNDS, JGP Mexico (171.21)
    9. Amber GLENN, JGP Czech Republic (164.18) - JR in U.S.
    10. Agnes ZAWADZKI, Rostelecom Cup (163.21)
    11. Ashley CAIN, Nebelhorn Trophy (162.39)
    12. Angela WANG, JGP Czech Republic (155.87)

13. Mariah BELL, JGP Mexico (153.17)
    14. Vanessa LAM, Finlandia Trophy (152.28)
    15. Kiri BAGA, Coupe de Nice (150.48)
    16. Barbie LONG, JGP Slovakia (148.19)
    17. Tyler PIERCE, JGP Estonia (143.91) - JR in U.S.
    18. Yasmin SIRAJ, JGP Latvia (142.32)

19. Rachael FLATT, Coupe de Nice (130.18)
    20. Hannah MILLER, JGP Estonia (128.20)
    21. Caroline ZHANG, Skate America (110.12)

Upcoming events:
    • JGP Final: CHEN, EDMUNDS, WANG (1st alternate)
    • GP Final: WAGNER
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    As poorly as Zhang did, there isn't really anyone else aside from Jessica Hu who earned more points. And Caroline's withdrawl won't allow Hu to go to nationals, because they are in different sections.

Hope she finds a coach between now and January, though.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    As poorly as Zhang did, there isn't really anyone else aside from Jessica Hu who earned more points. And Caroline's withdrawl won't allow Hu to go to nationals, because they are in different sections.

Hope she finds a coach between now and January, though.
    Huh? What? She's coach less??

ETA - Yasmin needs to rethink her approach to skating. She has a lot to offer in terms of musicality and presentation, but despite being healthy, her technique fails her. Maybe she is one of those skaters that needs to go to a coach that will strip down her jump technique and rebuild it. I think Jenny and Dave on TSL made remarks about her technique on an older skatecast and why she can't go clean

vCash
    Caroline was pretty terrible in the FS. Only two triples and they looked < to me. It looks like her technique on the 3F has regressed somewhat. She's extremely slow and the program is empty. I don't think she'll place top 10 this year...I didn't see Peter or Karen in the K&C with her but they were at the competition. Caroline sat by herself while she waited for the marks and then got up and walked out the door before they finished announcing her scores...

Rachael wasn't too much better. Nowhere near the level she needs to be to compete but she skated decently considering the level of skating in the competition.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    I'm not familiar with Chiera. Has she been to nationals before?
    Not at the Novice-Senior level, no.

Posted back on May 24, 2013 in one of the past U.S. Ladies threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    At this point, the second highest known Senior Ladies FS score of the early club competition season is by Panthers FSC's Franchesca Chiera (96.01) with 4 clean triples landed: 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lz<, 3F, 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo<, 2A, 1S. Chiera, who will turn 16 in October and is coached by Artem Torgashev and Ilona Melnichenko in Coral Springs, Florida, had placed 5th in a competitive field of Novice Ladies at 2013 South Atlantic Regionals in October 2012. Her Senior FS at the Florida Open in early April was to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts8Y3GxZR5o
    Winning Eastern Sectionals as a first year "no-name" Senior is a HUGE accomplishment for Franchesca Chiera!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Rachael wasn't too much better. Nowhere near the level she needs to be to compete but she skated decently considering the level of skating in the competition.
    Rachael was a lot better than Caroline. The program is definitely not great but she skated it with charm and conviction. Watching Caroline made me sad.

I love Yasmin but she needs a serious technique overhaul. I don't like how Mitchell and Johanssen teach jumps. They always look sort of scratchy and muscled.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Copying over from the Flatt thread in GSD - observations by someone who watched their programs in person at Pacific Coast Sectionals:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Rachael did the flip in the warm-up but doubled it in the LP. I didn't see an attempt at a lutz at any time. In the SP, even though she made an error, everyone was dead silent and oohing because she was "oozing" at they say, performance-wise. Not so much in the LP. Every single lady appeared really slow and cautious. Death by twinkly piano. I kinda felt like Rachael was having a Butyrskaya moment because her Rachmaninoff was cutting in and out like it was on a scratchy record.

Caroline. I think her obvious problem is that she gives up right at the beginning of the program after mistakes. She closes up like a clam, starts to look like she's about to break down crying (which she might be), but hon, you've got 5 more jumping passes and at least 3 more minutes to go. It's very difficult to keep going if you're frustrated that what you've been able to do all your life wasn't there for you at the exact second you needed it (e.g. the flip you just did in warm-up, and an eeked out landing on the craziest lutz technique ever), but perhaps in a performance sport one must not shout, "Look, judges, audience, I give up. I just want to get off the ice." She landed some jumps, but other than that she looked outright miserable. It was unfortunate.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From Tom Zakrajsek's public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7653386&type=1
    Senior Grand Prix reflections:

As I sit here in Moscow's DME airport, I feel so privileged to have coached at four Grand Prix events this season for many reasons.

The first being that to attend the competitions with such talented athletes as Max Aaron and Agnes Zawadzki is truly a blessing and a coach's dream.
    And Agnes...what can I say? To help her overcome her fears and skate a clean short at the Rostelecom Cup and achieve a personal best was such a rewarding coaching moment. And while I know she did not win a medal here, the improvement in her long program in two weeks by nearly 10 points is a testament that there is no substitute for hard work and training. While I know she still has more work to do, it is important as her coach to acknowledge the small steps she takes along the way. I can hardly wait until our next long program training day! It is called the "road to Sochi" because it is long and winding. Makes me think of a Beatles' song

vCash
    Yeah I was wondering who Franchesca was also! Good scores for someone with no name yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Huh? What? She's coach less??

ETA - Yasmin needs to rethink her approach to skating. She has a lot to offer in terms of musicality and presentation, but despite being healthy, her technique fails her. Maybe she is one of those skaters that needs to go to a coach that will strip down her jump technique and rebuild it. I think Jenny and Dave on TSL made remarks about her technique on an older skatecast and why she can't go clean
    To be honest, it's Mark's and Peter's coaching of jump technique like Jenny pointed out in their TSL video. None of the senior ladies they've coached have had good jump technique (from Katrina Hacker to Brittney Rizo to Yasmin). On top of that, none of them can do anything harder than a triple loop (besides Yasmin). Christina is different because someone else gave her her jumping foundation. At this point, I doubt Yasmin would change coaches to do that. Didn't she say she doesn't really care about going to the Olympics or really be successful as a skater? I thought she said she's just skating because she likes it and competitions are more of an afterthought.

Mark and Peter are great in terms of packaging and really getting their skaters to feel the music, but jumping wise... That's a mess for them. Even Ross' jump technique is kind of scary with all the force he puts on his jump takeoffs. And Wikipedia said that Ross went to them when he was younger to fix his jump technique... I wonder how much worse it was before that...
    Last edited by smarts1; 11-24-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    We were having this discussion over in the Sectionals thread, and I'm bringing it over here... Who do we think will end up with 4CCs?

If the US is required to name a 4CC team and three alternates before Nationals (this was what they had to do 4 years ago), and they already have said they will not send the Olympic team to 4CC, I wonder if they would leave Wagner off the 4CC list entirely, and assume she will be going to the Olympics and/or Worlds? Would they do the same for Gold?

Would they consider promising junior-eligible ladies like Edmunds and Wang?

Also: Some are wondering if Mirai would decline 4CCs if this is her last season... but I haven't heard a peep about Nagasu retiring anytime soon. She's only 20 and isn't planning on going off to college. Why wouldn't she want 4CC if she doesn't get worlds/Olympics?

For reference:

Current WS rank:
    (4) Wagner
    (7) Gold
    (12) Gao
    (15) Zawadzki
    (22) Nagasu
    (30) Cesario
    (34) Hicks
    (52) Wang

Current SB rank:
    (3) Wagner