Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Thank you, Marco.

vCash
    I think the key comparison that is going to help/hinder Edmunds' and Nagasu's causes will be Polina's 4th at Junior Grand Prix Final vs. Mirai's bronze at Rostelecom Cup.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Holy crap, that's right. She hasn't skated senior internationally yet so she wouldn't have the minimums. How will that work?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Holy crap, that's right. She hasn't skated senior internationally yet so she wouldn't have the minimums. How will that work?
    Minimums can be met at junior events, I thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Let's say a gold medal gets 3 stars, a silver 2, and a bronze 1, and 2014 US Nationals counts 3 times as much because it is the most important.

We get:

Wagner - 1 star from GPF, 5 stars from GPs, 3 stars from 2013 Nationals for a total of 9 stars.

Gold - 9 stars from 2014 Nationals, 1 star from GP and 2 stars from 2013 Nationals for a total of 12 stars.

Nagasu - 3 stars from 2014 Nationals, 1 star from GPs for a total of 4 stars.

Edmunds - 6 stars from 2013 Nationals, 3 stars from 2013 Nationals for a total of 9 stars.

Just for reference.
    Thank you for taking the time to actually post the events. I think trying to assign points/stars to placements is a bit dangerous, though. It's great to try and get a sense of how everyone stacks up, but there has to be some subjectivity involved- Mirai's lower finish at a deep senior 2013 Nationals shouldn't be considered that much worse than Edmunds' junior win. Similarly, Nagasu's record of medalling on the GP is subjectively very impressive. Her struggles have really been just making it out of Nationals.

Thanks again, though, it's still very helpful to try and quantify it... Just nervous that people will take those points as gospel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Let's say a gold medal gets 3 stars, a silver 2, and a bronze 1, and 2014 US Nationals counts 3 times as much because it is the most important.

We get:

Wagner - 1 star from GPF, 5 stars from GPs, 3 stars from 2013 Nationals for a total of 9 stars.

Gold - 9 stars from 2014 Nationals, 1 star from GP and 2 stars from 2013 Nationals for a total of 12 stars.

Nagasu - 3 stars from 2014 Nationals, 1 star from GPs for a total of 4 stars.

Edmunds - 6 stars from 2013 Nationals, 3 stars from 2013 Nationals for a total of 9 stars.

Just for reference. A very simply model.

This has left off Wagner's 5th place and Gold's 6th place finish at 2013 Worlds (and contributing to having a 3rd spot to begin with), as well as Edmunds' 4th place at JGPF this season. And I gave Edmunds 3 stars for winning the Jr National title last year.
    Much clearer. Thanks!

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Minimums can be met at junior events, I thought.
    But the programs are shorter. Is that fair?

vCash
    They have less element too, so less opportunity to make points.

vCash
    Nikol Gosviani (and I'm sure others) have done it before. The programs are shorter, but at the same time there are also less elements to gain TES.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    They have less element too, so less opportunity to make points.
    Ok. I guess that balances out.

vCash
    And the scores generally lower, so in fact technically it would make it harder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    I think the key comparison that is going to help/hinder Edmunds' and Nagasu's causes will be Polina's 4th at Junior Grand Prix Final vs. Mirai's bronze at Rostelecom Cup.
    Do you think Mirai would have done better at that JGPF event. Did you see the competition there?

vCash
    It makes it harder, that's true, but the 11th through 14th ranked SBs are from juniors (Proklova, Medvedva, Chen, Sotskova)

vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4004947

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    LADIES LIST UPDATED AFTER NEBELHORN TROPHY

LADIES
    SKATERS WHO HAVE REACHED BOTH OLYMPIC MINIMUN SCORES
    Country Name TES-SP TES-LP
    USA Polina EDMUNDS 33.35 62.37
    There's no issue on Polina's making minimum TES for Olys.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That was very clever, Marco.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Do you think Mirai would have done better at that JGPF event. Did you see the competition there?
    The JGPF was stacked, but Nagasu's medalling at RC is nothing to sneeze at. Nagasu may not have placed 4th at JGPF, but it would've been just as difficult foe Edmunds to receive the PCS and rotation calls she did if competing at a senior GP. Both were great accomplishments, and I think Seerek is simply stating that it will likely come down to which result the committee is more impressive - which is not going to be an easy task at all!

vCash
    Nagasu's international record based on the criteria is just as much of a reason to place her on the team over Edmunds as Wagner, IMO.
    When looking at past international achievements, they don't look back any farther than last year's Worlds. Among the listed events other than Nationals, Mirai has a 3rd place in a senior GP event, Edmunds has a 4th place at the Junior GP finals. I don't see that as enough to keep Mirai and cut Edmunds.

My preference would be to send the top 3, but if they do give Wagner a place, I think they have to cut Nagasu. That makes more sense from an organizational perspective anyway. Neither she nor Edmunds is a serious medal threat this year, but Edmunds is more likely to be a contender internationally for the next 4 years and could benefit from the experience. A lot of folks still wonder if Michelle Kwan would have been as tight in Nagano if she has gotten to skate in Lillehammer.
    Last edited by Susan M; 01-12-2014 at 06:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    The JGPF was stacked, but Nagasu's medalling at RC is nothing to sneeze at. Nagasu may not have placed 4th at JGPF, but it would've been just as difficult foe Edmunds to receive the PCS and rotation calls she did if competing at a senior GP. Both were great accomplishments, and I think Seerek is simply stating that it will likely come down to which result the committee is more impressive - which is not going to be an easy task at all!
    Mirai's scores though weren't particularly that high. And what about her other GP event where she did quite poorly? Edmunds at least showed some consistency...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    This "Wagner crashed under pressure" commentary is getting really unfair. She is a 2-time National Champion, placed 5th and 4th at Worlds, won multiple GP events, GPF medals, and is one part of the team that gained the USA three spots for Sochi. By all accounts, she has been breaking in new skates, and she turned out a fairly decent SP given those issues, one that would've likely had her 2nd amongst all the ladies if this were an international panel. Edmunds and Nagasu will not receive the PCS necessary to challenge for a top 4 finish like Ashley will, and our team event scoring potential could also drop depending on strategy and which Gold shows up.
    Oh please, of course she crashed under pressure! From the way you talk, one would think that Nationals has no meaning at all. And spare me the skates excuse, we have heard them all and there's no getting around it - Ashley didn't deliver at the most important event, period.

I'll admit if the criteria allows her to go, then she could go; I'd blame the rules as being terribly unfair then.

I don't know enough about Edmunds, but a clean Nagasu can outscore a good Wagner anytime (I've a feeling that Nagasu placing 4th at the last Olympics immediately lends her shine to Olympic judges that Wagner may not have), and yes, who knows which Nagasu will show up but one could say the same of Wagner too.

vCash
    That star system is bullcrap. Juniors and seniors are entirely different levels of competition.

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast