Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not worried about Wagner at all. Better here than at the Olympics. As I said before, she is all but fully entitled to the Takahashi treatment. Out of the top 4, she is probably the most reliable free skater. And the PCS is factored twice in the free skate, which means Wagner's advantage there will double. I think she will do fine on her own and secure a silver but in any event I think the USFS will give her a little help on PCS to make sure she makes the podium. Entering Sochi as the underdog may not be a bad idea. Lipinski, Hughes, Nagasu was the highest placed US lady at the Olympics even when they didn't win Nationals that year. Same for Lysacek in 2010 and 2006, and Goebel in 2002.

Very impressed by Gold's recent improvements. At this stage, I think she is all confirmed for Sochi. Not having a more memorable GP season may hurt her medaling chances in Sochi though.

Looks like the third spot is to be fought between Nagasu and Edmunds. I am frankly a little surprised by their marking of Edmunds. The judges may have gotten a little over excited with her PCS and that accidentally knocked Wagner out of the top 3, however slightly. If USFS would like its way, I expect Edmunds to receive much more modest PCS in the free as well as a < or two. She will make a solid 4CC teammate along Cain and Gao (although I am rooting for Cesario to bounce back in the free).

Happy for Nagasu. Hope she can hang on to top 3 - unlike last year. The judges did as much as they could to eliminate competition by finally putting Zawadzki, Hicks, Flatt and Zhang where they actually belong and also lowballed Cesario a little.

The fight for Jr Worlds team spot is much more exciting though. Edmunds is of course still age eligible and top choice (esp. if she doesn't make Sochi). Miller, Keiser, Bell, Long, Wang and perhaps Hicks are in the running for the other spots.
    I would think the new Jr champion might have something to say about who goes to Jr Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUafO...M1IX4xA2hErvMQ

Someone posted the entire SP if anyone who couldn't watch the SP wants to.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 01-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does Polina have a history of bombing in the long? Because Mirai does...
    No. Polina has been rock-solid in the FS this whole season, and most of last season as well. Downgrades are occasionally an issue for her but way less than before and way less than for Mirai. Polina at most generally makes 1 mistake or maybe 2 very minor ones. She might not stay in 2nd and could even drop off the podium but I highly doubt she bombs. I'm gonna be surprised if Mirai makes the team. Cesario is probably too far back to pull up with her content and tendency to lose levels on spins but Gao is within striking distance still. I think the team will be Gracie, Ashley and either Polina or Christina.

vCash
    I'm kind of disappointed about Sammi... Really wanted her to make the team and expected her to finish higher than she did

vCash
    and we have our dark horse-Polina!!!!!!!!!!!

Superb skating, jumps and musicality, and she's only 15!!!!!!

vCash
    So was Rachael Flatt when she peaked. But yeah sure, Polina is gangbusting with talent and attitude to boot. Ultimately, I agree with Marco about the usual rush to anoint precocious talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    But yeah sure, Polina is gangbusting with talent and attitude to boot. Ultimately, I agree with Marco about the usual rush to anoint precocious talent.
    She's 15 and kickin' butt in her first Senior level Nationals short program!!! Give credit where credit is due. Enjoy the moment!!

vCash
    Boy, I thought that judging was really interesting. They pulled no punches (except for maybe the under rotations). If you didn't measure up, you were buried. Really embarrassing for Agnes and Rachael.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Rachael's skate was absolutely gorgeous though. That spread eagle If only it weren't for that lutz!

vCash
    I think Amber Glenn's massive win in Junior Ladies deserves some recognition, too. She landed 7 clean triples (including 3F+3T, 3Lz+3T, and a Rippon 3Lz) and scored 186.51, breaking Gold's junior record score from 2012.

IMO, she's more than earned her trip to Junior Worlds!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I think Amber Glenn's massive win in Junior Ladies deserves some recognition, too. She landed 7 clean triples (including 3F+3T, 3Lz+3T, and a Rippon 3Lz) and scored 186.51, breaking Gold's junior record score from 2012.

Definitely, where's a Phil Hersh article dedicated to Amber Glenn, or did I miss something?!

vCash
    ... My question is... Why did Caroline's technique revert to back to what it was!?!? I'm surprised no one knew about her coaching situation...

And Vanessa Lam moved to Tammy Gambill?
    Last edited by smarts1; 01-11-2014 at 02:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post

I'm so impressed by her!!! I mean two triple-triples is insane

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    and we have our dark horse-Polina!!!!!!!!!!!

Superb skating, jumps and musicality, and she's only 15!!!!!!
    Yup she's awesome. And for anyone who tries to belittle her saying she looks/skates/is just a "little kid" it's not the truth. Sure, she's gangly but she doesn't skate like a junior and she has great presence on the ice. Plus she's tall and fast and can really JUMP! She is a rare talent that needs to be nurtured. Much like Kostner or 15 year old Korobeynikova, her youthful innocence combined with her statuesque build give her a very special quality out there, vulnerable, delicate but with power (and in her case loads of sass and confidence) behind it. She is a star in the making.

vCash
    I think pinky found his/her second favorite ladies skater after Christina...

I agree. Polina is a great skater and definitely could be the future of US ladies skating, but she has a lot of maturing to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I think pinky found his/her second favorite ladies skater after Christina...

I agree. Polina is a great skater and definitely could be the future of US ladies skating, but she has a lot of maturing to do.
    Duh. I want to see her and Pogorilaya go head-to-head and then it can be a battle royale of the fierce gangly blonde teenagers, complete with humongous 3lz-3t combinations.

vCash
    Polina has some nice qualities, and I really want to like her, but she seems so gawky on the ice. I'd love to see some improvements with her carriage and movement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirai4life View Post
    I'm so impressed by her!!! I mean two triple-triples is insane
    Amber Glenn is also 15 years old?!

vCash
    Wait, now that I think about it, is Polina age eligible for the Olympics? She's 15 right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Wait, now that I think about it, is Polina age eligible for the Olympics? She's 15 right?
    Yes. She was fifteen by July 1st, which is the cutoff.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast