Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zebobes View Post
    You know, even Evan Lysacek didn't win the Gold US Championship medal before the Olympics, so it's always possible that Ashley might not win.
    Of course that's true, but the situations are not equal. After all, Evan was the defending World Champion when 2010 Olympics took place. I think it's more important for Ashley's confidence going into the Olympics that she does become a 3-time U.S. champion. OTOH, despite Evan not going into Vancouver as U.S. Champion, he was definitely favored by USFS moreso than Jeremy and Johnny (in essence USFS was spoiled by/ took for granted the talent of all 3 guys). Evan also had Frank Carroll by his side (don't underestimate the importance of Frank and the respect and sentimentality for Frank as well -- not saying that sentimentality for Frank is why Evan won, but everything that was an asset certainly came together and ultimately helped; above all Evan's own strong will, determination and preparedness). There are different scenarios entirely for Evan and for Ashley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Can you name an Olympic year when the national champ in any discipline did not get named to the team? I can't.
    I still haven't gotten over the decision to send Nathaniel Niles instead of Sherwin Badger in 1920 and 1924.

vCash
    Some practice reports today:

http://www.examiner.com/article/2014...play-january-8

GROUP C

Nice practice for Zhang, Cain having trouble with a bunch of triple flip-triple toe attempts

Hannah Miller - SHORT - triple flip-double toe

Triple loop-triple loop from Zhang

Samantha Cesario - SHORT - triple loop-triple loop, triple flip, double axel

Ashley Cain - SHORT - triple flip (fall), triple loop, double axel

Caroline Zhang - SHORT - walked through jumps

Agnes Zawadzki - SHORT - triple toe-triple toe, double lutz, double axel

--

GROUP B

Triple loops from Nagasu, triple salchow-double toe-double toe and double axel-triple toe from Gold

Vanessa Lam - SHORT - triple lutz, triple flip-double toe, double axel

Gracie Gold - SHORT - new program, triple lutz (hand down)-double toe, double loop, double axel

Kiri Baga - SHORT - triple toe-double toe, triple salchow (fall), double axel

Nice triple lutz-triple toe from Gold

Mirai Nagasu - FREE - triple flip-single toe, double axel-double toe (two-foot), triple loop, triple flip (possibly underrotated), single loop, walked through a few more jumps

A couple of triple loops from Gold and Nagasu

Joelle Forte - FREE - walked through jumps

--

vCash
    Really glad to hear about Caroline having a good practice, she even landed a 3Lo-3Lo though with probable UR.

vCash
    Agnes just got dropped big time… 54.18 and she's currently in 12th. WOW.

vCash
    So pleased for Polina! and Gracie!

vCash
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/results.html

According to this, Edmunds' planned first element was a 3Z+3T+3T. Is a three-jump combination permitted in a Short Program? If so, has anyone actually done one?

vCash
    I agreed with the womens short program results based on the performances but I am absolutely stunned the U.S judges would allow Ashley to be 4th while skating a somewhat clean performance. Will be interesting to see what happens, both in the results, and the U.S team selection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agreed with the womens short program results based on the performances but I am absolutely stunned the U.S judges would allow Ashley to be 4th while skating a somewhat clean performance. Will be interesting to see what happens, both in the results, and the U.S team selection.
    They may feel confident that she will do well in the LP. Besides, the other 3 (ahead of her) did not leave much room for her in the SP. I think it will be tough to win her 3rd US title but second place is within reach. Worst case scenario 3rd place, and she will still be on the Olympic team. Please, I don't want her to miss the Olympics again. She has worked too hard to get to this point.

vCash
    Her PCS were a vote of confidence atleast. Translated to the LP it shows her PCS will probably be 10+ points higher than Nagasu and Edmunds if she skates at all well. I doubt either would be able to beat her by that much in TES unless she skates poorly so she should come back and place top 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/results.html

According to this, Edmunds' planned first element was a 3Z+3T+3T. Is a three-jump combination permitted in a Short Program? If so, has anyone actually done one?
    No and no.

vCash
    Well, Mao finished third at her Nationals and there wasn't any way they were leaving her off the team, so I'm hoping the same will hold true for Ashley. But I'm still expecting her to come roaring back Saturday and finish top three on her own merits. I think the Nationals win is out of reach, but not the Olympics team. If Gracie keeps her head and skates like everyone knows she can, she might have her first National title.

So the big question now is Polina or Mirai? Which of these two is going to throw down? Or will someone else step in and blow everyone away?

vCash
    I'm so happy that Mirai is in striking distance for the Olympics spot going into LP.

She needs to stay on her blade and give everything. Cannot afford any mistake and it usually happens.

I have faith in her always though

vCash
    Me too. I think we have our Olympic team-- Mirai, Ashley, Gracie. Polina will bomb the LP. Gracie will make a few mistakes. Ashley most likely will take the title.

More than anything, I'm shocked with Polina's PCS. What are the judges thinking? A 29.6 for her level of skating? And higher PCS than either Mirai or Christina. No. Polina got lucky that she skated last and skated cleanly.

Also, maybe USFSA wants to pseudo dump Ashley after her comments directed at Russia? I thought Ashley was a bit underscored for that performance...
    Last edited by smarts1; 01-10-2014 at 02:58 PM.

vCash
    Does Polina have a history of bombing in the long? Because Mirai does...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does Polina have a history of bombing in the long? Because Mirai does...
    Polina does on occasion. I think Mirai is a different skater this year in previous years. I think she'll have a good LP. At least I hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Well, Mao finished third at her Nationals and there wasn't any way they were leaving her off the team, so I'm hoping the same will hold true for Ashley. But I'm still expecting her to come roaring back Saturday and finish top three on her own merits. I think the Nationals win is out of reach, but not the Olympics team. If Gracie keeps her head and skates like everyone knows she can, she might have her first National title.

So the big question now is Polina or Mirai? Which of these two is going to throw down? Or will someone else step in and blow everyone away?
    I don't think the title is out of reach yet. Gracie is known to only have 1 good skate in a competition. She might have used it up in the SP. Gracie is also skating last in the competition, and I'm not sure she'll be able to withstand that kind of pressure. Ashley, on the other hand, does better when she's the underdog, so I'd imagine she'll have a great LP.

I'll be shocked if they name Polina to the team barring that she wins Nationals.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUafO...M1IX4xA2hErvMQ

Someone posted the entire SP if anyone who couldn't watch the SP wants to.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUafO...M1IX4xA2hErvMQ

Someone posted the entire SP if anyone who couldn't watch the SP wants to.
    Will it be available later? And is it viewable on an iPad? I can't watch it now but would love to watch it later on my iPad.

vCash
    Not worried about Wagner at all. Better here than at the Olympics. As I said before, she is all but fully entitled to the Takahashi treatment. Out of the top 4, she is probably the most reliable free skater. And the PCS is factored twice in the free skate, which means Wagner's advantage there will double. I think she will do fine on her own and secure a silver but in any event I think the USFS will give her a little help on PCS to make sure she makes the podium. Entering Sochi as the underdog may not be a bad idea. Lipinski, Hughes, Nagasu was the highest placed US lady at the Olympics even when they didn't win Nationals that year. Same for Lysacek in 2010 and 2006, and Goebel in 2002.

Very impressed by Gold's recent improvements. At this stage, I think she is all confirmed for Sochi. Not having a more memorable GP season may hurt her medaling chances in Sochi though.

Looks like the third spot is to be fought between Nagasu and Edmunds. I am frankly a little surprised by their marking of Edmunds. The judges may have gotten a little over excited with her PCS and that accidentally knocked Wagner out of the top 3, however slightly. If USFS would like its way, I expect Edmunds to receive much more modest PCS in the free as well as a < or two. She will make a solid 4CC teammate along Cain and Gao (although I am rooting for Cesario to bounce back in the free).

Happy for Nagasu. Hope she can hang on to top 3 - unlike last year. The judges did as much as they could to eliminate competition by finally putting Zawadzki, Hicks, Flatt and Zhang where they actually belong and also lowballed Cesario a little.

The fight for Jr Worlds team spot is much more exciting though. Edmunds is of course still age eligible and top choice (esp. if she doesn't make Sochi). Miller, Keiser, Bell, Long, Wang and perhaps Hicks are in the running for the other spots.

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast