Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    You're also doing quite a bit of conjecturing. It doesn't matter what the athletes thought, felt or assumed about their chances of making the team. Only the winner makes the team at nationals. For everyone else, nationals is part of the equation, and there are no guarantees.
    Then perhaps ABC was lying when they announced the three girls as Olympians merely a few seconds after Kwiatkowski left the kiss and cry. Or not. They likely knew what everyone else knew. As long as Kwan and Lipinski finished in the top 3, the top 3 were going to Nagano.
    Last edited by fenway2; 01-03-2014 at 09:50 PM.

vCash
    I love that 8 years out of competition (9 really) the Kween can still hi-jack a thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I love that 8 years out of competition (9 really) the Kween can still hi-jack a thread.
    ALL HAIL...

For what it's worth, I didn't take Michelle's 1998 comment as a butt-biter in terms of her situation in 2006.

In 1998, she probably would have gotten the bye had she not competed, but thank God she did given her two legendary performances there. She was the US and world silver medalist at the time and a clear top 2 prospect for Nagano with Tara. By saying she wanted to earn it, it seemed like she was saying she was capable of competing and wanted to compete to for a spot (ie. earn it) rather than sit it out, knowing she could compete, and just taking the free trip.

By the time 2006 rolled around she wasn't just Michelle Kwan, she was Michelle Kwan, the 9-time US champ and 5-time world champ...she was a legend by then. All of those accomplishments and what she did for the USFSA in her career was all of the "earning" she needed to do. If she was only capable of jumping doubles and asked to be put on the team she deserved to be on the damn team...she'd earned it.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 01-03-2014 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    You say that as if any thread on this site should be about anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ALL HAIL...

For what it's worth, I didn't take Michelle's 1998 comment as a butt-biter in terms of her situation in 2006.

In 1998, she probably would have gotten the bye had she not competed, but thank God she did given her two legendary performances there. She was the US and world silver medalist at the time and a clear top 2 prospect for Nagano with Tara. By saying she wanted to earn it, it seemed like she was saying she was capable of competing and wanted to compete to for a spot (ie. earn it) rather than sit it out, knowing she could compete, and just taking the free trip.

By the time 2006 rolled around she wasn't just Michelle Kwan, she was Michelle Kwan, the 9-time US champ and 5-time world champ...she was a legend by then. All of those accomplishments and what she did for the USFSA in her career was all of the "earning" she needed to do. If she was only capable of jumping doubles and asked to be put on the team she deserved to be on the damn team...she'd earned it.
    Agree with your entire post except for the part I bolded. I think you know that isn't true or logical and entirely the words of a passionate uber-fan.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    If she was only capable of jumping doubles and asked to be put on the team she deserved to be on the damn team...she'd earned it.
    I know your name is kwanatic, but no...just no. That's ridiculous, even for a member of the Kwan brigade to say. Your ridiculous post, along with the tiresome listing of Kwan's accomplishments, are stereotypical of a crazed Kwan fan comment. It's the exact reasons I always flinch when saying I'm a Kwan fan, because of superfluous remarks like that by more over-the-top fans like you. Embarrassing.
    Last edited by fenway2; 01-03-2014 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=cbd1235;4094180]You're saying that if the best US ladies skater, 3 seasons running, who has proved herself again and again, and is a legitimate Olympic podium threat, has a bad day and places 4th that it would be smart to leave her off the olympic/world team for the USFSA?

No, I did say that I can understand how even if Wagner had bad skates, it would at least still make sense to send her to Sochi since she is the only TOP US Ladies skater that has performed well this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I think what Kwan meant by this is that she wanted to earn her spot by winning nationals, since the 2nd and 3rd place finishers do not earn their spots that way. Only the winner is guaranteed a spot.
    This has already been said upthread, but seems to need repeating as multiple posters haven't gotten it yet: The national champion is not guaranteed an Olympic berth, by virtue of their win. Otherwise, the nationals would be official Olympic trials and USFS would have a financial obligation to USOC, as I understand it.

vCash
    US Nationals are all but official Olympic trials and everyone knows it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Still waiting for a link confirming the Hughes made a big to-do over Kwan being named to the team. It'll never happen though because it never happened.
    I don't think the Hughes family ever publicly complained about Kwan being awarded a spot. I think they stayed pretty quiet. I do remember some mild-to-moderate hue and cry from the press, as an example here's a Sports Illustrated article snarking that Kwan getting a free pass and arguing USFS needs to look to the future (young, healthy Emily) and not the past (old, injured MK). http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...4567/index.htm.

The NY press probably also had something to say about their hometown girl being robbed, but I'd have to hunt some more.

ETA: Here's one from ESPN taking opposite pov:
    http://m.espn.go.com/extra/olympics/story?storyId=2328132&src=desktop

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I don't think the Hughes family ever publicly complained about Kwan being awarded a spot. I think they stayed pretty quiet.
    Yeah, that's how I remember it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    here's a Sports Illustrated article snarking that Kwan getting a free pass and arguing USFS needs to look to the future (young, healthy Emily) and not the past (old, injured MK).
    ] at anyone thinking Emily Hughes was the future.

Some interesting tidbits in that article.

It's a bad business, this granting of Olympic skating berths, and no one seemed particularly comfortable with the decision in Kwan's favor.

Was SI at the event, and if so, how would they know that no one was comfortable with the decision? That is, unless people spoke out about it or grumbled not so quietly.

Sarah Hughes, like Emily, came in third at the U.S. nationals before the Salt Lake City Games. She, too, was 16. She, too, was considered too young, too inexperienced, too unpolished to beat the likes of Kwan, Cohen and Russia's Irina Slutskaya.

Nonsense on Cohen having more experience than Hughes.

Could lightning have been caught in a bottle by a second Hughes girl? It looks as though we'll never know.

Riiight.

In truth the Kerrigan petition in 1994 and the petition filed by Kwan in 2006 have little in common.

Exactly what I said earlier. Nothing in common.

Even before a groin injury sidelined Kwan on Dec. 17, she'd been unable to compete this season (except in a cheesy viewer-judged made-for-TV event on Dec. 11,

I always wondered if Shep Goldberg asked for a fan vote knowing his client wasn't in competitive shape. It certainly would not have been the craziest thing he asked for.

Kwan lost her spot on the Olympic team when Kerrigan's petition was approved, and Kerrigan went on to win silver in Lillehammer.

Baloney. Kwan was never named to the 1994 Olympics so she didn't lose any spot on the team.

But she should have gone through the same trials as everyone else. The Olympics are not a reward for lifetime achievement.

I don't think Kwan won the assignment as a lifetime achievement award. She was named because she was a much more likely medal candidate than Emily and most people forget that Emily was named to the world team, so it wasn't all doom and gloom for her at nationals.

vCash
    Pukey skating journalism

vCash
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It's Mirai.
    Does it matter?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Does it matter?
    Yes it does. Mirai's name was misspelled by the same person - twice.

Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Courtney Hicks (winning U.S. Senior B), Gracie Gold (medaling at Skate Canada and winning the SP over an essentially clean Lipnitskaya and Suzuki with a particularly great performance that I thought was well choreographed and performed even though many seem unable to get past their personal annoyance with the music she chose and I personally didn't like listening to it either), Polina Edmunds (winning 2 JGPs in blowouts with free skate performances technically comparable, at least in difficulty, with the top skaters in the world today, and qualifying for final with another perfect free skate there), Mirai Nagasu (medaling at Rostelecom Cup behind only Lipnitskaya and Kostner), and Karen Chen (also winning a JGP, beating 2 of the outstanding Russian "wonderbabies" in the process, and qualifying for final but had to withdraw) will be surprised to learn that they haven't accomplished "anything" this season.

It pisses me off when people are so rudely dismissive of skaters' accomplishments, so I'm not ashamed of rudely dismissing those posters. And if you weren't aware of those international accomplishments then maybe you should learn about them before making a rude comment like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Totally agree. Using Marai as an example...on any given day she can be fabulous. It is just that you never know which Marai is going to show up on which day. The star one or the sulky one. I think those spots need to go to skaters who have proven their ability and consistent results. (And I don't mean consistent jumps....I mean top finishes).
    Marai? Anyway, I think Mirai has a good chance as long as she skates great in both segments - and skaters who might bomb aren't held up over her. Hopefully, good Mirai will show up at Nationals reading to skate gangbusters.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think Mirai is such a pretty name.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    You know, even Evan Lysacek didn't win the Gold US Championship medal before the Olympics, so it's always possible that Ashley might not win.

vCash
    I always wondered if Shep Goldberg asked for a fan vote knowing his client wasn't in competitive shape. It certainly would not have been the craziest thing he asked for.
    Wondered if he asked? More like insisted on! Although I always thought her program at Marshalls was a wonderful performance art spoof of Slutskaya (minus a jump), she was in rough shape then and I can only imagine the quandary that put organizers in.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    This has already been said upthread, but seems to need repeating as multiple posters haven't gotten it yet: The national champion is not guaranteed an Olympic berth, by virtue of their win. Otherwise, the nationals would be official Olympic trials and USFS would have a financial obligation to USOC, as I understand it.
    Can you name an Olympic year when the national champ in any discipline did not get named to the team? I can't.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    There was absolutely one of the Olympics where there was a written agreement by USFSA that the National Champion would be named to the Olympic Team. I seem to recall it was one of the strong wishes of the athlete's committee. (Maybe for 1998?)

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast