Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    ITA 100%. A lot of people (including *cough* TSL *cough*) were saying Ashley should pull a Tanith and "get her wisdom teeth removed" because a loss to the Russians here could jeopardize her medal chances. How well did that strategy work for Tanith? I love BA, but they lost Nationals and finished off the Olympic podium. I think Ashley is making the right move, sticking to her guns and putting herself out there. Yes, it is always risky to take a loss at a major international, but think of the positives. She's managed to fend off all of the above Russians before and if she can do it again and score closer to Mao (or beat her if Mao isn't on form, not that I'm wishing that to happen!) it can only improve her chances. Either way, Ashley has been far and away the best of the US ladies this season and we haven't even seen her at her best yet. Best of luck, Ash!
    This. Faking an illness is a cowardly tactic and Ashley has shown time and again that she is no coward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    On another note, I'm surprised the GPF is majority Russian babies! When was the last time that happened? ... Guess Mao and Ashley are the old guards now. We'll see how their PCS stacks up to the Russian babies.
    I certainly hope their experience, maturity and overall skating quality are reflected in their PCS. Rooting for the old gals (relatively speaking )

vCash
    I love Ash being very brave to make this sport more popular in US. Hope she can manage to deal with those sticky media people such as coughHersh and coughcoughTSL. Wish the best for her at GPF.

vCash
    I don't understand why TSL thinks that if Ashley loses to some of the Russian babies at the GPF that she'll suddenly get the short shrift from the judges. How does that make sense? One bad competition doesn't kill your career. Mao had an awful fall grand prix season in 2009-2010 (with other skaters beating her left and right) and it certainly didn't hurt her scores in Vancouver...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I certainly hope their experience, maturity and overall skating quality are reflected in their PCS. Rooting for the old gals (relatively speaking )
    Let's hope so and that Julia doesn't get another 33 for PCS in the SP...

vCash
    I don't understand why TSL thinks that if Ashley loses to some of the Russian babies at the GPF that she'll suddenly get the short shrift from the judges. How does that make sense? One bad competition doesn't kill your career. Mao had an awful fall grand prix season in 2009-2010 (with other skaters beating her left and right) and it certainly didn't hurt her scores in Vancouver...
    I agree, this isn't 6.0 anymore. Losing to Mao in the fall of 2005 didn't hurt Slutskaya at the 2006 Olympics. Her PCS in the SP were higher than her PCS in the 2005 Worlds SP (30.34 to 30.49).
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't understand why TSL thinks that if Ashley loses to some of the Russian babies at the GPF that she'll suddenly get the short shrift from the judges.
    Trying to stay relevant, the Hersh method.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Maybe because the Olympics are going to be in Russia? As we saw at the COR the judges can't wait for a excuse to prop up the scores of the Russian skaters. Losing to the Russian girls in the GPF gives them a excuse to keep Ashley down in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Maybe because the Olympics are going to be in Russia? As we saw at the COR the judges can't wait for a excuse to prop up the scores of the Russian skaters. Losing to the Russian girls in the GPF gives them a excuse to keep Ashley down in Sochi.
    I doubt that would happen though... Besides, there are only 2 ladies spots for the Russians this year, and we don't even know who's going to be on that team since any 5 of them could be on it.

On a side note, it is interesting that Mao got nearly a 35 for PCS in the SP at the GPF while Ashley only got a 32. I would have expected closer to a 33 considering Adelina got a 31.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I agree, this isn't 6.0 anymore. Losing to Mao in the fall of 2005 didn't hurt Slutskaya at the 2006 Olympics. Her PCS in the SP were higher than her PCS in the 2005 Worlds SP (30.34 to 30.49).
    Even in the 2001-2002 season, Sarah Hughes beat Michelle in Skate Canada, and it obviously didn't affect Michelle's marks in the SP at the Olympics (even with the 3 flip)... If anything Sarah was hammered...

vCash
    Experience should not be relevant to PCS. It shouldn't matter how long a skater has been skating or at that level, only how good they are in a particular performance, and when "new" or young or unknown skaters are held down because they aren't known to the judges then that's one of the biggest travesties of judging. Likewise, "maturity" per se is not a judging criterion and suggesting that it should be reflected to me shows unfair bias against those who are or look young. (There might be legitimate aspects of what you are considering under "maturity" that really should be considered under PCS, and that perhaps older and more experienced skaters tend to be better at, but there are certain ways in which very young or small skaters aren't going to appear as "mature" no matter how good they are in legitimate areas of PCS, so phrasing it as "maturity" per se as being desirable is a pet peeve of mine). Sometimes youthful enthusiasm and exuberance are described as "immature" but can be very positive in terms of both enjoyment and some areas of PCS, like personality and emotional involvement with the program.

vCash
    I doubt that would happen though... Besides, there are only 2 ladies spots for the Russians this year, and we don't even know who's going to be on that team since any 5 of them could be on it.

On a side note, it is interesting that Mao got nearly a 35 for PCS in the SP at the GPF while Ashley only got a 32. I would have expected closer to a 33 considering Adelina got a 31.
    It doesn't surprise me. Both Ashley and Adelina skated really well. I actually would have had them tied in PCS based on their performances today, but a one point difference is fine because over five categories it is less than .25.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Well I just watched Ashley's SP and I think that's the first I ever saw the score tracker increase after a program ended instead of decreasing 2 points like it always seems to do. Ashley seemed disappointed with her scores though... I think she said to Rafael that she thought her score would be higher.

Actually it seemed like most of the girls were disappointed with their scores. Particularly Julia too.
    Last edited by smarts1; 12-06-2013 at 01:25 AM.

vCash
    Also, at Polina's and Angela's scores in the SP at the JGPF. Like I said, they're not a threat to go to the Olympics.

vCash
    Also, at Polina's and Angela's scores in the SP at the JGPF. Like I said, they're not a threat to go to the Olympics.
    You got that right. They seem to be falling in line with the rest of the American girls. Scared to death!

vCash
    Also what is with all the Russian babies being so bendy and stretchy? It's scary how similar they are to one another from jump technique to overall packaging to skating skills...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    You got that right. They seem to be falling in line with the rest of the American girls. Scared to death!
    I think they're fine, but their time is not now. It will be in 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Camel View Post
    I think they're fine, but their time is not now. It will be in 2018. Also, is it just me or does it look like Angela's grown/become more womanly (in terms of her figure).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Experience should not be relevant to PCS. It shouldn't matter how long a skater has been skating or at that level, only how good they are in a particular performance, and when "new" or young or unknown skaters are held down because they aren't known to the judges then that's one of the biggest travesties of judging. Likewise, "maturity" per se is not a judging criterion and suggesting that it should be reflected to me shows unfair bias against those who are or look young. (There might be legitimate aspects of what you are considering under "maturity" that really should be considered under PCS, and that perhaps older and more experienced skaters tend to be better at, but there are certain ways in which very young or small skaters aren't going to appear as "mature" no matter how good they are in legitimate areas of PCS, so phrasing it as "maturity" per se as being desirable is a pet peeve of mine). Sometimes youthful enthusiasm and exuberance are described as "immature" but can be very positive in terms of both enjoyment and some areas of PCS, like personality and emotional involvement with the program.
    Let me clarify. Experience, maturity, quality...those are buzzwords I can use to get my idea across without having to take the time to go into detail or having to actually explain anything :p. Let me rephrase to reflect what I meant by that:

I certainly hope that Mao's soft knees, elegance from her toes to her fingertips, understated passion, soulful musical interpretation, elegant and classic spin positions, +3 holy cow footwork, and ability to emote to an audience are reflected in her scores. Moreover, I certainly hope that Ashley's refined skating skills, complete control of her upper body movement, classic elegant posture, new-found facial expression, sense of conveying emotion, the excitement of her fiery attack and increased technical content, her rejuvenated footwork sequences, and complete package of all of the above are reflected in her scores. (And unfortunately last night I thought they were a little stingy with the PCS)

vCash
    I certainly hope that Mao's soft knees, elegance from her toes to her fingertips, understated passion, soulful musical interpretation, elegant and classic spin positions, +3 holy cow footwork, and ability to emote to an audience are reflected in her scores. Moreover, I certainly hope that Ashley's refined skating skills, complete control of her upper body movement, classic elegant posture, new-found facial expression, sense of conveying emotion, the excitement of her fiery attack and increased technical content, her rejuvenated footwork sequences, and complete package of all of the above are reflected in her scores. (And unfortunately last night I thought they were a little stingy with the PCS)

Well said regarding both skaters. Both skaters are clearly ahead of the rest of the pack in many ways and that should have reflected more. I think Ashley should have hit that 70 mark this time but I suspect given she skated 2 skaters before Mao that the judges were holding back marks in case she didn't skate to form.

Oh well, hopefully they both skate well in the long program and distance themselves from the rest.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast