Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

vCash
    Tweeted by @LynnRutherford this morning:
    @agneszawadzki says on pre-nationals medial call: "Consistency is the biggest thing for me" She does not plan 3Lutz/3toe in Boston.

Agnes&@CoachTomZ have been focusing on training program sections. "I'm working on [winning] - my mentality is not 'just make the Oly team'"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Three odd statements (I think we would all agree about the cinsistency). Why would she not go for the 3 Lutz-3 toe? is she going for a 3T-3T or no 3-3 at all? That doesnt sound very Olympian for such a strong Lutzer. Why train segments rather than full programs? And aiming to be US champion, not just make the Olympic team? I like Agnes a lot and would be thrilled if she could do that... but it's not going to happen after a dismal season like this one. Or let me just say it would be the upset of the quad in the US if she did.

I hope some coaches or skaters will chime in and explain how these comments make sense, as I am mystified.

vCash
    I guess this is just Tom Z's attempt to build up her confidence or something. Her focus/objective should be on skating clean with 3-3s in both programs, things she can control.

vCash
    Just found something interesting....Ashley skated to Romeo & Juliet (Prokofiev) back in 2006

Listen for the middle cut of music...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXC28wgz34

vCash
    ^^^ What's the last piece of music? It sounds vaguely familiar but I can't place it right now...

"Music from the Henry V soundtrack by Patrick Doyle" (first section) is the only piece listed in her Team USA bio on IN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I guess this is just Tom Z's attempt to build up her confidence or something. Her focus/objective should be on skating clean with 3-3s in both programs, things she can control.
    That's how I interpreted the two tweets - that Zawadzki will focus on landing her 3T+3T in both programs, along with the rest of her planned jumps.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    My first thought was, "Oh no, it's the curly ponytail from hell!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ^^^ What's the last piece of music? It sounds vaguely familiar but I can't place it right now...

"Music from the Henry V soundtrack by Patrick Doyle" (first section) is the only piece listed in her Team USA bio on IN.
    The last bit is Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije

vCash
    Yasmin Siraj annouced that she'll go to Harvard in Fall 2014 and keep skating with her current coaches:

http://www.yasminsiraj.com/harvard-university/

I hope she has a good Nationals; that Sectionals long program was scary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yasmin Siraj annouced that she'll go to Harvard in Fall 2014 and keep skating with her current coaches
    Thanks for the link! I expected nothing less from her.

Thank you for the music ID, Stephanie!

Hannah Miller skated her "Firebird" SP at the Detroit Skating Club's show last night: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4090395 (archived video link is posted in this GSD thread, post #17)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    Tweeted by @LynnRutherford this morning:
    Zawadzki will probably wish she went for the 3-3 if she does her best but still falls short because either Wagner or Gold throw it down.

Of course, I'm not convinced either will do so (pressure will do one or both in)...example being Asada dominating all season long and then managing only 3rd at her nationals.

I still think there might be surprises in store. I think Nagasu could end up playing spoiler if the others aren't careful.

vCash
    It just seems to hard for Agnes to skate. I'm too tense watching her.

vCash
    US Nationals ladies event is going to be a bloodbath, and I expect a few surprises, a few skate-of-your-life's, and a few disasters. May the ladies that throw the hardest punches get the biggest payouts!

Olympic year Nationals are my favourite , this season has been one of the best yet and we've only had a couple National championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yasmin Siraj annouced that she'll go to Harvard in Fall 2014 and keep skating with her current coaches:

http://www.yasminsiraj.com/harvard-university/

I hope she has a good Nationals; that Sectionals long program was scary.
    Yasmin has been stagnating for some time now, though. It sounded like last year she had sorted out her injury-related problems and I thought this was going to be the start of a new chapter in her career. Alas, it appears to be the same old, same old; she just stumbles through her programs, so I'm not expecting much once she juggles Harvard and continues skating w/ Mark and Peter

vCash
    ^ That's understandable, though - she's got so much on her plate.

This event has had a bit of buildup over the past couple months or so - Nationals is my favorite comp of the year for many reasons, anticipation is always high, especially in an Olympic year.

I would not be surprised if Wagner does not win this time. In fact, I almost expect her not to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I would not be surprised if Wagner does not win this time. In fact, I almost expect her not to.
    Well we all know the only person who can beat her is Gracie and in order for that to happen Gracie will need to be strong. A bunch of jump errors won't give the judges the justification they'll need to hike up her PCS. Ashley has erased some of the TES deficit by adding the 3F-3T to her programs. Gracie can earn higher GOE on her spins but Ashley's PCS advantage will even that out. If they both skate cleanly, I'd give the edge to Ashley b/c she is the complete skater. If Ashley falters and Gracie is clean (in two programs, not just one) then I think it should go to Gracie.

To be honest, I'm expecting both of them to be a little off of their game this year, in which case it comes down to who was the strongest.

vCash
    [QUOTE=cbd1235;4091157]US Nationals ladies event is going to be a bloodbath, and I expect a few surprises, a few skate-of-your-life's, and a few disasters. May the ladies that throw the hardest punches get the biggest payouts!

You and I are on the same page. I want the competition to be very competitive. I don't want anyone gifted to the podium. Let them all fight it out. May the best three win the trip to Sochi!

vCash
    Two pre-Nationals media teleconference calls (audio) on 12/27/13 now are posted on IN:

Ashley Wagner (15:07)

Agnes Zawadzki (11:37)

ETA link to a new Agnes Zawadzki article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...figure-skating
    Excerpt:
    I'm studying psychology, but am taking this year off of college. I do work with a psychologist on a daily basis, though. Right now, we're concentrating on what kind of distractions might come up at Nationals and what could throw me off. For instance, we practice my not having enough time to finish my complete warm-up. We also focus on the way I talk to myself before and during my programs.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-31-2013 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    Two pre-Nationals media teleconference calls (audio) on 12/27/13 now are posted on IN:

Ashley Wagner (15:07)

Agnes Zawadzki (11:37)

ETA link to a new Agnes Zawadzki article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-li...figure-skating
    Excerpt:
    Whoa! A sports psychologist every day? That could be very pricey! Perhaps it is part of her schooling or maybe a pro bono/endorsement deal. Fantastic that she is getting the support she needs.

I can not wait for Nationals!

Title-less
    vCash
    Having just listened to the teleconference calls, I'm not sure that Agnes is more confident about herself than before. Perhaps confidence is something that comes with growing up or having more life experience.

vCash
    Sometimes confidence just never comes.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast