Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    They may fudge the numbers but I doubt they will use the Michelle Kwan save on anyone other than Ashley. The top 3 will be going to Olympics, none of the ladies did anything this season to justify them going if they finish 4th except maybe Ashley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    They may fudge the numbers but I doubt they will use the Michelle Kwan save on anyone other than Ashley. The top 3 will be going to Olympics, none of the ladies did anything this season to justify them going if they finish 4th except maybe Ashley.
    The "Michelle Kwan" save? Not a good analogy. Michelle Kwan didn't need help from anyone at Nationals.

O-

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    The "Michelle Kwan" save? Not a good analogy. Michelle Kwan didn't need help from anyone at Nationals.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post

O-
    In 2006 she was named to the team without even competing at nationals. I suspect that is what the op is referring to.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    In 2006 she was named to the team without even competing at nationals. I suspect that is what the op is referring to.
    That was my assumption as well.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    That was my assumption as well.
    Mine too. Wasn't Nancy Kerrigan the only other skater who was just named to the Olympic team (in her case of course due to the attack)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Mine too. Wasn't Nancy Kerrigan the only other skater who was just named to the Olympic team (in her case of course due to the attack)?
    I don't think so. IIRC, in 1992, Todd Eldredge didn't skate at Nats, but was named to the Oly team anyway, replacing Mark Mitchell. I also think Meno and Sand got named to an Oly team without skating at Nats, but I'm not sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I don't think so. IIRC, in 1992, Todd Eldredge didn't skate at Nats, but was named to the Oly team anyway, replacing Mark Mitchell. I also think Meno and Sand got named to an Oly team without skating at Nats, but I'm not sure.
    Was it because of injury in their respective cases?

vCash
    Re-posting from the Nagasu thread:
    Do you think they hold her [Zawadzki] up bc of Tom? I just don't know why year in and out they always hold her up. She can jump, but she cannot skate a long program.
    No, because Zawadzki was coached by Christy Krall for the past 2 Nationals (bronze medals in 2012 & 2013) and only returned to Tom Zakrajsek this year.

Whoever that 3rd candidate is though will likely not face much pressure at the Olympics to medal so oftentimes that means the skater skates well. Nationals is more pressure than Olympics probably.

I wonder if they have Agnes in mind for the next Ashley, though I don't think they need her for the next quad. Polina and Gracie will probably be the stars for US in the next quad.
    I always thought Nagasu skated so well at the Vancouver Olympics because she didn't go in as the national champ. Many fans thought Mirai Nagasu would be the "next great one" after the last Olympic season... 4 years is an eternity in ladies' skating so who knows what will happen.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Two WILX 10 local NBC TV news stories/videos on Hannah Miller:

Broadcast after her win at Midwestern Sectionals - Hannah is interviewed, along with her 3 younger skating sisters (younger one is a hockey player like dad, youngest twins are figure skaters), her coach/aunt, and her parents: http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/S...233863391.html

Before Midwestern Sectionals (her foot injury/elective surgery this past summer is mentioned): http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/W...232876441.html
    Hannah Miller has written a new blog about Sectionals and working with her choreographer, Daniil Barantsev, recently in Connecticut: http://figureskatersonline.com/hanna...-to-nationals/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Except that doesn't make any sense in the context of the discussion we were having. The OP was referring to women who will be competing at U.S. Nationals and will be perhaps getting unfair boosts in their scores for various reasons, not those who will be seeking an injury bye -- such as Kwan did in 2006. The comment made no sense.

O-

vCash
    Mark Mitchell was on the committee that name Michelle on the team right?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    What I meant by the Michelle Kwan save was the possibility of USFG not going with the top 3 in the event of a major screw up or injury by the star. They used it in 2006 (not going by top 3 at nationals) because of Michelle who was injured and did not compete. They would only use the save on someone who is the star, and for this season that would be Ashley.

I don't think they would use it if anyone else gets 4th. Like if Gracie gets 4th, I think they would go with the top 3. But they want Gracie to go, so they might fudge the numbers to get her to 3rd. Gracie has not accomplished much to justify her going over say Mirai if Mirai outskates her at nationals. indeed, None of the ladies -Mirai, Gao, etc- have done anything this season to justify their going to the Olympics over the 3rd place competitor if they place 4th.

Except for Ashley, it would look illegitimate if they do not go with the top 3 at nationals. If there is some disaster and Ashley places 4th, I think they would use the save on her. Using the save is really designed to ensure that the star gets to go. Maybe it did not originate with Michelle, but no matter how Michelle placed or whether or Not she competed at nationals, she was definitely going to the Olympics. Not strictly going by top 3 helped her go to Torino and is designed to make sure a skater of her caliber does not miss the Olympics due to injury or a major and uncharacteristically bad screw up. In the past the save was only used for injury and USFS has yet to pick someone over another who just screwed up (though I think they might have done it at worlds with Kimmie- put her on worlds team instead of someone else but I am not sure the reason whether it was due to injury). They might only use it for merit in the case of a real star like Michelle - maybe Ashley would not even qualify. For instance, Rockne and McLaughlin were great in pairs, were on Olympic ads, etc but bombed nationals and they did not use the save on them. Ashley, however, is different bc of her intl success. They would probably use it for her, though maybe they would only use it on a once in a generation skater like Michelle when it comes down to Olympic spots.

vCash
    I don't think Ashley will screw up so badly that she'd fall out of the top 3. The judges wouldn't let her...meaning even if she tanked they'd find a way to boost her where they could and hold others down to get her on the team. Point of the matter is Ashley is the best thing the US ladies has and there's no way she'll be left off of that team unless she's too injured to compete.

The same, to an only slightly lesser extent, applies to Gracie. No Gracie hasn't skated much better than anyone else this season but going by her international reputation and scores, she's the clear #2 option. And don't forget she's been the USFSA's pet since she made the jump to seniors...they aren't going to leave her at home, not when they pushed so hard to get her to Sochi...right on down to getting Frank to take her on.

So my thought is come hell or high water, Ashley and Gracie will be on the team and should be on the team. I don't think the judges would resort to using a bye...not when it's so freaking easy to manipulate the scores and do it that way.

I say 3rd spot goes to whoever steps up and takes it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Mark Mitchell was on the committee that name Michelle on the team right?
    I believe so. I read somewhere that he was one of the few who voted against giving her the injury bye.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Ashley and Adam Rippon were announced on The Voice tonight...along w a bobsledder. I guess NBC is starting its promotions...

vCash
    I believe so. I read somewhere that he was one of the few who voted against giving her the injury bye.
    Of course he did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Of course he did
    There were two others who voted against Kwan as well -- as the vote to give Kwan a bye was 20-3, as I recall. Following Nationals, the 5-member panel who observed Kwan's monitoring session voted unanimously to allow her to take advantage of the bye.

O-

vCash
    Agnes Zawadzki and Angela Wang (as well as Max Aarion and Joshua Farris and their coaches) were featured in USFS' Google+ Hangout yesterday - here's the archived video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj50lRe4m-g
    Agnes is interviewed around the 25 min. mark and Angela around the 38 min. mark (after she did a SP run through minus the jumps).

vCash
    Thank you Sylvia! I hope they do a few more of these Hangout features leading up to Sochi!

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast