Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1008
  1. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jani-Ayil
    Posts
    3,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I wonder if either of them has seen Hicks live. It's not reliable to go by video.
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Probably not. Although Hicks is quite fast, her stroking is still a little choppy in my opinion.
    Have you forgotten the infamous FSU thread about their not being given a press credential for the United States Figure Skating Classic so quickly?

    Apparently, they went, sat in the public section, and didn't stay through the whole event. Whether they walked out before Hicks' skates, I can't remember, but I suspect they watched at least one of her programs.

  2. #222

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,391
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7460
    I think everything Dave Lease knows about skating has been learned from the internet or from Jenny. His background is in gossip.

  3. #223
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16934
    Two WILX 10 local NBC TV news stories/videos on Hannah Miller:

    Broadcast after her win at Midwestern Sectionals - Hannah is interviewed, along with her 3 younger skating sisters (younger one is a hockey player like dad, youngest twins are figure skaters), her coach/aunt, and her parents: http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/S...233863391.html

    Before Midwestern Sectionals (her foot injury/elective surgery this past summer is mentioned): http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/W...232876441.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #224

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,180
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I think everything Dave Lease knows about skating has been learned from the internet or from Jenny. His background is in gossip.
    He also is an adult skater so he may know something from that experience.

  5. #225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Have you forgotten the infamous FSU thread about their not being given a press credential for the United States Figure Skating Classic so quickly?

    Apparently, they went, sat in the public section, and didn't stay through the whole event. Whether they walked out before Hicks' skates, I can't remember, but I suspect they watched at least one of her programs.
    True. They might have seen her live. I'm sure Jenny is also around during bigger skating events too, after all it seems like almost all retired skaters are at Nationals and Worlds and the Olympics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I think everything Dave Lease knows about skating has been learned from the internet or from Jenny. His background is in gossip.
    I stumbled on his blog some many years ago, and I was literally just like what the hell is this? And I never went back.

  6. #226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    237
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Two WILX 10 local NBC TV news stories/videos on Hannah Miller:

    Broadcast after her win at Midwestern Sectionals - Hannah is interviewed, along with her 3 younger skating sisters (younger one is a hockey player like dad, youngest twins are figure skaters), her coach/aunt, and her parents: http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/S...233863391.html

    Before Midwestern Sectionals (her foot injury/elective surgery this past summer is mentioned): http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/W...232876441.html
    There just aren't enough Olympic spots to go around. I guess she has as good of a shot as anyone. I don't see why we can't send five girls.

  7. #227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Courtney was judged as low as 5.5 at Skate Canada, and as high as 6.75 for SS. Gracie ranged from 7.25 to 8.5 on SS at the same event. A 1.75 difference; the judges are sending the message to Courtney.
    First let's remember that the lowest and highest scores on a judging panel are not included in the calculation, and there is a reason for that. Second, I have seen neither Gold nor Hicks in live competition for at least 2 years, so I can't completely vouch for my impressions from 2-3 years ago. Third, Gold is fast and powerful but her edges can be deeper and her knees can be softer. I think 8.5 for Gold is, uh, pretty high, unless you take into account her jumps, although you're not supposed to. I'm not going to speculate how much reputation affects international judges' scores (Gold has been on the senior circuit for 2 years, including a trip to Worlds; Hicks is on her first senior GP at SC) since I don't have my mind-reading crystal ball with me at the moment.

    To my eyes, Hicks' skating is not labored, which suggests good basic techniques. I don't know how to explain it, but to me she looks a bit old fashioned, like a skater from 1970s or something, when skaters held their arms, legs, and body in entirely different ways from what they do now.

    Hicks also reminds me of Ryuju Hino (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-yvE152EM), a Japanese junior man skater who is almost unwatchable except for his knees and edges. Observe how both Hicks and Hino gain speed easily with a push here and a pump there. Hino also gets SS scores in the 6s on JGP, but it really should be a lot higher in my opinion. (I have not seen him live but would like to.)
    Last edited by Jun Y; 12-01-2013 at 02:49 AM.

  8. #228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    526
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    First let's remember that the lowest and highest scores on a judging panel are not included in the calculation, and there is a reason for that. Second, I have seen neither Gold nor Hicks in live competition for at least 2 years, so I can't completely vouch for my impressions from 2-3 years ago. Third, Gold is fast and powerful but her edges can be deeper and her knees can be softer. I think 8.5 for Gold is, uh, pretty high, unless you take into account her jumps, although you're not supposed to. I'm not going to speculate how much reputation affects international judges' scores (Gold has been on the senior circuit for 2 years, including a trip to Worlds; Hicks is on her first senior GP at SC) since I don't have my mind-reading crystal ball with me at the moment.

    To my eyes, Hicks' skating is not labored, which suggests good basic techniques. I don't know how to explain it, but to me she looks a bit old fashioned, like a skater from 1970s or something, when skaters held their arms, legs, and body in entirely different ways from what they do now.

    Hicks also reminds me of Ryuju Hino (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-yvE152EM), a Japanese junior man skater who is almost unwatchable except for his knees and edges. Observe how both Hicks and Hino gain speed easily with a push here and a pump there. Hino also gets SS scores in the 6s on JGP, but it really should be a lot higher in my opinion. (I have not seen him live but would like to.)
    I was throwing out a comparison, and using Gold because she skated at the same event so it was the same panel. I am not touting Gold's skating skills

    That said, Gold is to me a lot stronger than Hicks in SS, and the judges clearly agree. We can toss out the lowest and highest scores, either way Hicks is getting low SS scores at least at her GP assignment. Hicks does look clumsy to me, looking at her blades....but on top of that, the Skating Skills score also takes into account things like control of the body when skating, effortless flow, and overall skating quality. She scores poorer than her American counterparts on the GP (save for Zhang) in these.

    Looking at your Hino comparison, he is a bit better than Hicks in SS imo. Interestingly, for me the similarity I see between them is that when both skate, their bodies are just not over their feet. It makes everything look less secure, and some viewers misinterpret it as deep edges, but it is not so. The edges are deep-ish but uncontrolled because the skater just isn't over their feet completely. I see it in Hicks, especially when making sharp turns or changes in direction.

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Looking at your Hino comparison, he is a bit better than Hicks in SS imo. Interestingly, for me the similarity I see between them is that when both skate, their bodies are just not over their feet. It makes everything look less secure, and some viewers misinterpret it as deep edges, but it is not so. The edges are deep-ish but uncontrolled because the skater just isn't over their feet completely. I see it in Hicks, especially when making sharp turns or changes in direction.
    That's pretty much the same similarity I see between them. I like the way they apply their edges and do not find them insecure or wobbly, as I see no necessary effort to correct the body position while skating. Skaters with less secure edges often need to slow down and/or flail around to correct for the insecurity of their blades or regain control the feet/body, but I don't see it here. In addition, the similarity between Hicks and Hino, to me, is also in their well-timed and deeply bent knees that provide acceleration with no visible exertion.

    I agree that they share this similarity --- Their skating does not look beautiful or elegant. But I ascribe that to qualities apart from skating skills.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 12-01-2013 at 04:26 AM.

  10. #230
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,771
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Congratulations, Courtney. Welcome to the big leagues. There is now a thread w/ 2 pages of on FSU regarding you.

  11. #231
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16934
    Associated Press' pre-GPF article by Nancy Armour (also posted in the GPF forum in Kiss and Cry): Ashley Wagner wants to give folks something to talk about
    Excerpt:
    "We all understand that even if you don't make it to the final, you're still one to consider," Wagner said, pointing to 2012 world champion Carolina Kostner, who missed the final's six-skater field by two spots. "But the final is an opportunity to show how you stack up against the top women in the world. It's really important going into the Olympics. I want to know how I'm going to score against all the baby Russians and Mao. And I want the rest of the world to know how I stack up, as well."
    ...
    "I think (a medal) is a realistic goal. I think that it's a tough goal, and I need to be perfect in Sochi," she said. "I'm not one of those skaters who naturally has enough of everything else to squeak by. I need to be perfect."

    That kind of pressure can be suffocating, and more than a few athletes have crumbled under a similar burden. But Wagner, a self-described "show pony," has embraced the challenge.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  12. #232
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Olympics withdrawal/exhastion
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,109
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    As always, Ashley is honest but tactful. Looking forward to seeing her in the GPF.

  13. #233

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Associated Press' pre-GPF article by Nancy Armour (also posted in the GPF forum in Kiss and Cry): Ashley Wagner wants to give folks something to talk about
    Excerpt:
    Thank you for the link Sylvia!

    I love Ashley's attitude. She's not skating scared, or fearful of losing - she believes in herself and wants to 'know' how she's going to fare against the 'baby Russians' and Mao - and she's about to find out. She's going in full on, just like a champion should, not hesitant or worried about falling, etc. Ashley has what most of the other American women are missing - the eye of the tiger.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  14. #234
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  15. #235
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,771
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    She uses the term 'baby Russians'. LOL. She must read FSU.

    I think if she stays on her feet and executes her elements, she'll medal. With a little pizzazz, she should capture Silver. She has more command and presence right now than Lipnitskaya. I only think Mao is reachable in Japan if she has a meltdown at this stage.

  16. #236

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11643
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    She uses the term 'baby Russians'. LOL. She must read FSU.
    Ack, I hope not!

  17. #237
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Ack, I hope not!
    I'm pretty sure she does. Someone here posted a bunch of stuff about her personal life a couple years ago and that Priscilla fired Ashley and Ashley tweeted a couple days later that she "found a blog" and that "people who don't know anything her personal life should not be posting lies on the internet." Many people questioned why she said blog because we're pretty sure she was referring to FSU.

  18. #238
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    On another note, I'm surprised the GPF is majority Russian babies! When was the last time that happened? ... Guess Mao and Ashley are the old guards now. We'll see how their PCS stacks up to the Russian babies.

  19. #239
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16934
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Ack, I hope not!
    I think Ashley is capable of dealing with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure she does. Someone here posted a bunch of stuff about her personal life a couple years ago
    And that same person also posted in the summer of 2010 that "Ashley will never win nationals because she doesn't deserve to due to her work ethic."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  20. #240
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I love Ashley's attitude. She's not skating scared, or fearful of losing - she believes in herself and wants to 'know' how she's going to fare against the 'baby Russians' and Mao - and she's about to find out. She's going in full on, just like a champion should, not hesitant or worried about falling, etc. Ashley has what most of the other American women are missing - the eye of the tiger.
    ITA 100%. A lot of people (including *cough* TSL *cough*) were saying Ashley should pull a Tanith and "get her wisdom teeth removed" because a loss to the Russians here could jeopardize her medal chances. How well did that strategy work for Tanith? I love BA, but they lost Nationals and finished off the Olympic podium. I think Ashley is making the right move, sticking to her guns and putting herself out there. Yes, it is always risky to take a loss at a major international, but think of the positives. She's managed to fend off all of the above Russians before and if she can do it again and score closer to Mao (or beat her if Mao isn't on form, not that I'm wishing that to happen!) it can only improve her chances. Either way, Ashley has been far and away the best of the US ladies this season and we haven't even seen her at her best yet. Best of luck, Ash!

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •