Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Just watched Courtney skate - my goodness she is so sloppy! After this season, she needs to get into a dance class and work on her basic skating!
    Is her basic skating that poor? I thought her basics are comparable to other senior ladies, but her posture and line are where she's not competitive

vCash
    Well, her basics aren't great and her performance/interpretation ability is low. I'd put her basics and interpretive ability behind those of Wagner, Gold, Nagasu, Zawadski, Gao, Cain, Wang, Miller, Edmunds, Chen, even Flatt and Cesario (except Hicks has better speed than those two). She only has the jumps and if they fail her, not much else.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think you are lumping her bladework and her interpretive ability together. Some skaters with good stretch and line actually dont have great bladework. Cough...Wagner...cough
    Last edited by jlai; 11-28-2013 at 04:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I think you are lumping her bladework and her interpretive ability together. Some skaters with good stretch and line actually dont have great bladework. Cough...Wagner...cough
    I haven't seen Hicks live, but I would put her blade work about on par with Wagner. Wagner is much better than Hicks at all the other PCS categories, but basic skating skills, not so much. Dd went on a mini tirade at worlds about all this things Wagner does wrong when she does cross overs.

Hicks does have explosive jumps, but they do look a little like they are a wing and prayer some times. IMHO she needs to spend some time with an ice dance coach.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I haven't seen Hicks live, but I would put her blade work about on par with Wagner. Wagner is much better than Hicks at all the other PCS categories, but basic skating skills, not so much. Dd went on a mini tirade at worlds about all this things Wagner does wrong when she does cross overs.

Hicks does have explosive jumps, but they do look a little like they are a wing and prayer some times. IMHO she needs to spend some time with an ice dance coach.
    Sure Wagner doesn't have the best edges BUT she has phenomenal strength and control over her body and can control whatever she's doing on her blades. Courtney has no control over her body (think core, and controlling shoulders etc), just look at her landing positions and the way by which she skates out of corners. And in terms of skating skills, bladework is just one part of that, there are many facets to skating skills. Wagner is a mile and a half better than Hicks in all aspects of skating skills, but albeit with shallow edges. No one should ever lump Wagners skating skills with Hicks.

vCash
    I saw some improvements by Courtney in terms of choreography and expression at the recent Ice Challenge. The edges in her footwork looked deeper and more secure, too.

Is it top tier yet? No, but she's definitely putting the effort in.

Even if she misses a jump, she's still the only top U.S. lady attempting 7 triples repeating the Lutz and the flip. With two double Axels as well, she's basically maxing out her difficulty.

The choreograph sequence definitely needs work, but I didn't find her flying catchfoot camel unattractive.

I expect to see even more improvement by Nationals think she has a real shot at the Olympic team.

vCash
    Hicks reminds me of Surya in a lot of respects, just better than Surya. To the very least, Surya made some interpretation attempts at her music though...

vCash
    Re-posting from the "New Skate Guard Articles/Interviews" thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    On Franchesca Chiera - it was a delightfully pleasant surprise to see the rise of a fresh face and exciting story (jump from Novice to Senior). Watched her Free program, which was thoughtfully isolated and pitched on the video page of the Icenetwork coverage and enjoyed her energy. BUT was quite struck by the construction/jump content. Almost all of her jumps were of the 'toe' variety (toe/flip/lutz). There was a double axel but otherwise no edge jumps. Obviously, skaters can have preferences and/or 'nemesis' jumps (e.g., Kristi Y only ever delivered a clean triple salchow apparently when when she won US Nationals in 1992) but still, why no loop? no salchow?

It 'worked' for her just fine. Base value for flip and lutz being what they are and all that, but was curious to know if she had in her arsenal what are considered (given lower base values) less difficult triples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    On Franchesca Chiera - it was a delightfully pleasant surprise to see the rise of a fresh face and exciting story (jump from Novice to Senior). Watched her Free program, which was thoughtfully isolated and pitched on the video page of the Icenetwork coverage and enjoyed her energy. BUT was quite struck by the construction/jump content. Almost all of her jumps were of the 'toe' variety (toe/flip/lutz). There was a double axel but otherwise no edge jumps.
    Franchesca Chiera landed a clean 3Lo in her FS: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/SEGM026.html
    (She had a Salchow in her FS earlier in the season.)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Courtney Hicks does not bother me much. I saw her live at 2011 Nationals. Her basic skating skills are in the top tier among the current crop of US ladies (which is not necessarily high praise) and superior to Agnes Zawadzki and Gracie Gold. (Flatt and Cesario's skating skills cannot be mentioned in the same breath. Skating skills are not jumps.) She is very fast and aggressive. Her stroking is efficient and effortless. Her knees are soft. (She has a pair of the better knees in US ladies.) Her edges are secure. In her junior programs she routinely did a lot of transitions and did them well. She has substantially improved her posture since she returned to competition after taking one year off due to major injury. True, she pays no attention to the music and most of the time skate right through the highs and lows, twists and turns. Take points off her IN score. But I disagree with the assertion that her skating skills are not good.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 11-30-2013 at 03:45 AM.

vCash
    Well Jenny and Dave did an analysis of Courtney's skating skill in a TSL video and they gave Courtney something like a 4.5 for skating skills...

vCash
    Kiri Baga's official site has been redesigned - here is the new link to her recent journal entries (her move to Boston this past summer, her enjoyable Cup of Nice trip, etc.): http://figureskatersonline.com/kiribaga/site/journal/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-30-2013 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well Jenny and Dave did an analysis of Courtney's skating skill in a TSL video and they gave Courtney something like a 4.5 for skating skills...
    And TSL's opinion is valid because .... ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I wonder if either of them has seen Hicks live. It's not reliable to go by video.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Courtney Hicks does not bother me much. I saw her live at 2011 Nationals. Her basic skating skills are in the top tier among the current crop of US ladies (which is not necessarily high praise) and superior to Agnes Zawadzki and Gracie Gold. (Flatt and Cesario's skating skills cannot be mentioned in the same breath. Skating skills are not jumps.) She is very fast and aggressive. Her stroking is efficient and effortless. Her knees are soft. (She has a pair of the better knees in US ladies.) Her edges are secure. In her junior programs she routinely did a lot of transitions and did them well. She has substantially improved her posture since she returned to competition after taking one year off due to major injury. True, she pays no attention to the music and most of the time skate right through the highs and lows, twists and turns. Take points off her IN score. But I disagree with the assertion that her skating skills are not good.
    ^This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Just putting it out there.

I wonder if either of them has seen Hicks live. It's not reliable to go by video.
    Probably not. Although Hicks is quite fast, her stroking is still a little choppy in my opinion.

vCash
    But I disagree with the assertion that her skating skills are not good.
    We must be watching two different Courtney Hicks then. When I focus on her feet, I'm seeing heavy feet and clunkiness on those edges. She can muscle through anything for sure, but speed and aggression alone aren't the only determinants of skating skills. We'll have to agree to disagree on this. The musical interpretation is a separate issue, but overall, I find something really lacking in her skating. I hope that other U.S. ladies skate well enough at Nationals so this will be obvious, and Hicks will not place high enough to make the 2014 Olympic team. There, I said it, mean-spirited though it might sound.

vCash
    Courtney was judged as low as 5.5 at Skate Canada, and as high as 6.75 for SS. Gracie ranged from 7.25 to 8.5 on SS at the same event. A 1.75 difference; the judges are sending the message to Courtney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Seems like their opinion is as valid as anyone else's. Only the judges opinions matter though

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast