Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ashley has nowhere close to Mirai's litany of issues, particularly the issues that occur in the space between one's ears. And I have faith that Arutunian (and Nicks) will smack any such underrotation nonsense out of Ashley over the next couple of months. Now getting her to 100% stop two-footing when under stress might be another kettle of fish entirely

Title-less
    vCash
    The showings of US ladies are a bit disappointing. 3 medals so far, and rather disappointing showing so far for Zhang, Agnes, Mirai and now Gao in Paris.
    Back when the Japanese ladies were the deepest pool of ladies, US ladies end up being behind them and Kim. Now they are behind the Russian ladies. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that their ladies who aren't ready are pulled (or they withdrew), while US ladies, once assigned, keep their assignments no matter what.

et: I originally mentioned 8 ladies who could place top 6 in the short program at nationals and didn't mention Cesario because of her sp potential. But if she could find a way to keep improing that sp to the point it can place top 6, she has a good shot. She has a good head on her shoulders and is pretty steady
    Last edited by jlai; 11-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    Cesario's LP was great; wonderful accents, attitude, interpretation and highlights.. Her SP though seems a bit rough around the edges and needing more polish.. I'm sure Geldermann knows it and will make the necessary changes. The combo in the SP needs to be modified perhaps since the second loop keeps getting dinged. Has Sam ever gotten full credit for her loop-loop?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Ashley has nowhere close to Mirai's litany of issues, particularly the issues that occur in the space between one's ears. And I have faith that Arutunian (and Nicks) will smack any such underrotation nonsense out of Ashley over the next couple of months. Now getting her to 100% stop two-footing when under stress might be another kettle of fish entirely
    True. It's just a little surprising that the two foots and underrotations have come under Artunian's tutelage (whereas they almost completely disappeared under Nicks). I guess she's being more strategically about peaking at the right time this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    True. It's just a little surprising that the two foots and underrotations have come under Artunian's tutelage (whereas they almost completely disappeared under Nicks). I guess she's being more strategically about peaking at the right time this season.
    I think it may have more to do with the stress level. Ashley is now going for a 3/3 in both programs and she two footed the first half (flip) in the long at TEB. I think she just need a bit more practice time now that she has tried in competition a few times. She knows what it feels like live, she can now go back and work on it some more.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    The showings of US ladies are a bit disappointing. 3 medals so far, and rather disappointing showing so far for Zhang, Agnes, Mirai and now Gao in Paris.
    Back when the Japanese ladies were the deepest pool of ladies, US ladies end up being behind them and Kim. Now they are behind the Russian ladies. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that their ladies who aren't ready are pulled (or they withdrew), while US ladies, once assigned, keep their assignments no matter what.

et: I originally mentioned 8 ladies who could place top 6 in the short program at nationals and didn't mention Cesario because of her sp potential. But if she could find a way to keep improing that sp to the point it can place top 6, she has a good shot. She has a good head on her shoulders and is pretty steady
    If you're trying to say that all the US ladies are behind all the Russian ladies, I would disagree. Ashley w/ mistakes kept Sotnikova at bay this weekend, and the no. 1 Russian lady is Lipnitskaya who squeaky clean is only a few points ahead of Ashley w/ mistakes.

Gracie w/ mistakes isn't far off either of them, either. Granted, she needs to get her head together but she's done this before.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I think it may have more to do with the stress level. Ashley is now going for a 3/3 in both programs and she two footed the first half (flip) in the long at TEB. I think she just need a bit more practice time now that she has tried in competition a few times. She knows what it feels like live, she can now go back and work on it some more.
    The first thought that occurred to me was the introduction of the 3/3 as well. I hope Ashley and her team sort this out. Mr. Nicks is still her coach, btw.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    If you're trying to say that all the US ladies are behind all the Russian ladies, I would disagree. Ashley w/ mistakes kept Sotnikova at bay this weekend, and the no. 1 Russian lady is Lipnitskaya who squeaky clean is only a few points ahead of Ashley w/ mistakes.

Gracie w/ mistakes isn't far off either of them, either. Granted, she needs to get her head together but she's done this before.
    They are behind thw Russians in terms of gp successes and depth; I am not talking about individuals

I just think the team in general is underperforming, far below what they cando; that is all.

vCash
    They are behind thw Russians in terms of gp successes and depth; I am not talking about individuals

I just think the team in general is underperforming, far below what they cando; that is all.
    They sure have. What is the issue?Don't they practice these jumps everyday? Most of them can't even land a couple of triple jumps under pressure. It's not even worth sending most of them to the competition. They should just send in a video of the one good triple and stay home! USFSA need to do something starting next season.

vCash

I will agree w/ you on this point - depth and underperforming in general. The phrasing in your initial post wasn't clear to me, but I see what you're saying now. It's like Ashley and to some extent, Gracie are carrying the weight of the USA. Russia has some wonderful talent to back up Lipnitskaya and now Sotnikova such as Radionova, Pogorilaya, and even Tukktymasheva and are delivering big scores. The US team backing up GG and AW are a little too undependable by virtue of being inconsistent (Gao, Nagasu, Zawadzki) or too 'green' (Cesario, Hicks) or MIA (Czisny). The 1st three just do not hold it together very well.

vCash

I don't think so. I don't think a lot of the US girls on the GP are all that great other than Wagner and Gold.

In general I suspect if Adelina and Julia continue to skate well, their PCS will rise, and maybe even above Ashleys.

Especially Sotnikova, I'm not convinced Ashley's the better skater. I think right now the Russians have way more depth and options. And those options are going to force their kids to get better.. If they want a prayer of leaving Russia...I suspect one of the issues with Mirai was she was anointed so quickly as the great hope that she skated a bit. In Russia, those girls have so much competition its due or die. The good competitors are going to come out.

In someways I find the depth sad too. Sad that some of those young girls won't make it out of Russia.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Looking at their record, Adelina is likely to falter again, especially in a high pressure situation like say, the Olympics at home. Julia much less so. *knocks on wood*
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Looking at their record, Adelina is likely to falter again, especially in a high pressure situation like say, the Olympics at home. Julia much less so. *knocks on wood*
    Well obviously Adelina's more like to falter. However, I will say this Julia's jumps lasting long term always has me a bit nervous. They are tiny, tiny things. I suspect they are way easier to control but it might be harder if she gets taller or a little bigger and she has to jump higher.

Adelina's huge jumps though have always made me less nervous in that regard.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Adelina rarely lands her huge jumps in a program. That doesn't make you nervous?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Adelina rarely lands her huge jumps in a program. That doesn't make you nervous?
    It does, but I'm concerned about Julia keeping/rotating hers long term.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Don't be before it happens.

from Speedy Death

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't think so. I don't think a lot of the US girls on the GP are all that great other than Wagner and Gold.
    Agnes, Mirai and Gao all medalled last year, and also they landed more jumps.
    It's as if half of the ladies on the GP don't want to go to Sochi or something.

I didn't expect Cesario to medal on the GPs but at least she performs consistently and is a reliable competitor.

vCash
    Karen Chen was officially withdrawn from the JGP Final on 11/16 and Angela Wang added as the alternate: http://www.isuresults.com/events/gpj...niorLadies.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    At the beginning of the GP I really thought the ladies would be Wagner, Gold and Gao. But not so much anymore. Poor Christina had a melt down of epic proportions in Paris. What is up with her?

Title-less
    vCash
    I am going by memory but I dont remember Mark Mitchell having had sr ladies place top three at nationals before. But nationals will be in Boston...

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast