Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Gary Beacom to Compete at ISU Adult Event in Germany May 25-31

He's in masters freeskating and masters artistic skating.

Official website is here, with results when they are available:
    http://www.eislauf-union.de/Internat...oad_p_offset=0

(No Midori Ito this year, sadly.)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    He will be unpredictable and very entertaining.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for the link to the results. There were quite a few Aussies competing so have reposted the link to some of our local facebook pages.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    It's nice to see that the rest of his group got quite decent scores as well.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Can't wait to (hopefully) see a video of his winning performance!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Can't wait to (hopefully) see a video of his winning performance!
    It's on You Tube - I think this is the link - He is amazing - as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcM3...ature=youtu.be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna43 View Post
    It's on You Tube - I think this is the link - He is amazing - as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcM3...ature=youtu.be
    As weirdly wonderful as always. Loved it!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quick question--I scanned the results lists for the Masters divisions in the Oberstdorf adult competition. I don't think I saw the names of the masters' junior/senior champions from Adult Nationals: Jaclyn Yacomes and Zachariah Szabo. Wouldn't they have qualified for the Oberstdorf event by winning Adult Nationals?

vCash
    I don't think there is qualifying for Obsterdorf. You just sign up, and you have to pay.
    It's possible the adult nationals champions couldn't afford an overseas trip.

vCash
    Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.

vCash
    There are no qualifying events for Oberstdorf because it's an open event, not a championship. Despite some of the people who win gold there and then promote themselves as "adult world champion"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    There are no qualifying events for Oberstdorf because it's an open event, not a championship. Despite some of the people who win gold there and then promote themselves as "adult world champion"
    Does it strike a nerve when people do this?

I've only ever heard the competition referred to as "adult worlds" regardless whether it is a true championship in the ISU sense.

vCash
    The majority of the skaters who compete there regularly just call it "Obi".
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I've heard people call it "Adult Worlds", but I kinda take that like "ISI Worlds". My problem is when I see people with a resume that says "World Champion" and then no further clarification. But this is the same coach who has 7-time national champion (or whatever number) on his resume. Adult Nationals, and not even Senior at that...

However, I know there are parents who are fooled.

vCash
    Beacom finds inspiration at Oberstdorf competition: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/05/78169286
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Does it strike a nerve when people do this?

I've only ever heard the competition referred to as "adult worlds" regardless whether it is a true championship in the ISU sense.
    I've heard it called "adult worlds" but always in the sense that it's the ISU competition for adults from all over the world.

And I too know adults who list themselves as 'world champion' or 'world medalist' without specifying that it's at the ISU adult event, which I think is a little misleading. IME skaters who win a competition like ISU junior worlds usually list themselves as "junior world champion" or "world champion, juniors", so I think there's precedent for including the modifying details if it's not the ISU (senior) world championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Beacom finds inspiration at Oberstdorf competition: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/05/78169286
    Thanks for posting Sylvia. Great article. It is skaters like this that help to raise the profile of adult skating.

vCash
    Beverley Smith's Gary Beacom article: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Beverley Smith's Gary Beacom article: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    I'm glad the event is getting some attention, and I really like Beacom's attitude toward being in the event - but I have to say I'm a little annoyed that the article seems to characterize the event as just starting to be important now that ex-international competitors are participating. The event has been going for 10 years, has a great reputation, and is the product of a huge amount of work and commitment by a lot of skaters who never got anywhere near an international senior event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast