vCash

Sharpening - accuracy of the equipment

It suddenly occurred to me that no matter how skilled someone is at sharpening, if the equipment is not accurate or consistent, the sharpening job might not be. So you might want to find out what equipment your sharpener is using. I happened to notice from sharpening dozens of pairs of rental skates with the old equipment the rink uses, that the thingamajiggy sometimes moves very slightly (though unintended) which is enough to make a difference on the ice. It's fine for sharpening rentals and recreational skates, but I don;t want my skates sharpened on it no matter how good of a sharpener someone is.

vCash
    The equipment is a huge factor in the quality of the sharpening. The Blademaster (made in Canada) is by far the best. Those other kinds where they rig the blade to this holder on a track are just not going to line up correctly. I got my husband--a lifelong machinist by trade--to sharpen skates because everyone else was doing a lousy job. He knows metal and how to cut it. We researched sharpening machines and talked to a lot of skate sharpeners. The Blademaster stood out so we invested in a brand-new machine. Any other machine has more of a margin of error despite any claims to the contrary.

vCash
    The equipment I'm talking about is Blademaster equipment.