Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    The US has sent Marines and supplies out of Okinawa. They have sent aircraft that do not need runways in order to land. Germany has sent in rescue teams. UNICEF is sending a cargo plane full of shelters and food, to arrive tomorrow. Medecins Sans Frontieres is sending medicine and shelters, to arrive mid-week. Other governments have pledged dollars.

The folks involved in the aid efforts say they were not able to get much in the way of supplies and aid in place before the typhoon hit, because the storm was going to be so destructive, it'd simply destroy whatever they set up. What they were able to set up, had to be evacuated. Now, they said that although supplies and people are arriving (and have been), they face great difficulty getting to the people impacted, due to the scale of the destruction. They say they have gotten supplies to Manila, and from Manila to Cebu, but face great difficulty moving things from Cebu to other areas. There is also concern about being able to provide for the safety of the aid workers who arrive. There is what the news describes as "violent looting" occurring.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Those poor people. Wishing them all the best in these critical days ahead. Hopefully aid can get in and idiot looters will be vanquished.

they have been hit so many times this year by typhooons and now they got the biggest one ever... it boggles my mind what some countries have to deal with in terms of natural disasters and proves Mother Nature is both awesome and terrifying at the same time.

vCash
    Thank you for all your thoughts & prayers. No word or information yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Thank you for all your thoughts & prayers. No word or information yet.
    Have you contacted your local Red Cross yet? The Red Cross has asked people trying to contact family to contact them. They are working with the Philippine Red Cross to help people connect with their families there. They offer a "family tracing" service, where they will work to try to contact them directly. To start a tracing case, you contact your local branch of the Red Cross. To find your local Red Cross branch, you go here:
    http://www.redcross.org/find-your-local-chapter

The Red Cross is trying to get word out that they offer this service, and are asking people to spread the word, so if you know others who are in need, feel free to let them know.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    My dau.-in-law's family has been located. All are safe but their homes are totally destroyed. Judith's sister got thro to her at 1 am this morning after standing in line for 3 hours to use a computer to contact her. Thank you for your prayers.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Thank goodness they are safe. I hope that they can get emergency supplies.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Seconding this!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    My dau.-in-law's family has been located. All are safe but their homes are totally destroyed. Judith's sister got thro to her at 1 am this morning after standing in line for 3 hours to use a computer to contact her. Thank you for your prayers.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    So glad to hear that merrywidow. Prayers to all affected.

vCash
    I'm glad as well. I hope supplies are starting to get through.

vCash
    I am happy for you and your family, Merry Widow. This is dreadful. As a NJ resident, I cant help remembering Sandy, and as. skating fan I am remembering the tsunami in Japan. So much devastation.

People might be interested in this -- Charity Navigator is one of the main watchdog groups evaluating nonprofits. At a time like this, you want to make sure to donate to a group that is really helping. It is also a good idea to follow the links here to those groups' websites. Apparently there are web predators who rush in at times like these and set up fake relief sites.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...view&cpid=1659

Title-less
    vCash
    There are stories about the danger for the aid to get looted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    There are stories about the danger for the aid to get looted
    Yes, and apparently the looters are armed.

I'm getting more than a little annoyed at some of what's appearing on our news. The aid is coming. In case you hadn't noticed, your islands got walloped by a typhoon. It does make it kind of difficult to get the aid to you. We can't just magically snap our fingers and the aid appears!

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    If I'm not mistaken, I think one of our fellow FSUers, Saharainfall, lives in the Philippines. I hope that she's ok.

vCash
    My dau-in-law's family are going to try & leave Leyte today & join her brother on one of the other islands where he has a home. Should be quite a crowd!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

I'm getting more than a little annoyed at some of what's appearing on our news. The aid is coming. In case you hadn't noticed, your islands got walloped by a typhoon. It does make it kind of difficult to get the aid to you. We can't just magically snap our fingers and the aid appears!
    Imagine yourself in a situation where you are without water or food for five days and then get back to me on how desperate you'd be.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Hopefully aid can get in and idiot looters will vanquished
    The looters aren't idiots. They're desperate. They're not stealing jewels, they're looting supplies to keep them alive out of a natural fear that aid, even if it does come, won't come in time, or be enough. Desperate people do desperate things. It's unfortunate, of course, but stealing water or food for your thirsty child doesn't make you an idiot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123