Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Watch the pain meds, with 3 kids and me, I have found that these doctors oversubscribe. The first of my children came crawling into our room the night of her surgery, she absolutely could not could not could not fall asleep. Same thing happened to me when I had a molar pulled for an implant. We switched to Advil for the rest of us, that was fine. Why do these doctors need to prescribe anything with codeine (Percocet)?

vCash
    I had all four out..............about a million years ago. Surprised they had discovered dentistry back then

I had no problems...my roommate took me, and nothing special happened. I would recommend though, for the first few days (as with any surgery) stay ahead of the pain. Take the pain meds on schedule whether you are in pain or not, because if it sneaks up on you, it is really hard to quiet the pain back down.
    I had a doctor friend explain that to me...and it has served me well through several surgeries.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Mine were badly impacted and I couldn't even walk that much, because the blood pumping through would cause so much pain in my mouth. But most people's experiences are much better than mine. And my mom didn't believe in painkillers so I didn't get any. (Still don't. I'm kind of masochist that way.)

I advise lots of ice for the swelling, but again, it depends on how impacted yours are. I had a math prof in college who had his wisdom teeth taken out and was back at work the same evening to run a review session. He had quite the chipmunk face, but was able to talk.

vCash
    Are they just being pulled, or do they require surgery? The recovery from pulling is pretty quick, but badly impacted teeth which require surgery takes longer.

Mine were impacted sideways and came out surgically, all four. There wasn't really much pain once the anesthetic had worn completely off, but I could barely open my mouth for a week. Swollen, covered with green bruises, looked like a monster, but it was funny.

It's key to not use a straw, gargle, try not to sneeze or cough and avoid strenuous activity for about a week to avoid dry socket.

My recovery took about three weeks total, though I was back to work on Monday, having done the surgery on Friday. The good part was that I couldn't speak plain, so was absolved from any phone duties at work for the next two weeks.

Oh, and I did get permanent nerve damage. The Surgeon warned me that is was a possibility and that due to the angle of the impaction and my stupid little tiny jaw that it was likely, but probably minor, which it was. I don't even notice it anymore.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it as to pain and discomfort wise a 3.5. Slept most of the first day, felt slightly crummy day two, and felt well enough to get on with my usual activities excluding vigorous activity. Actually, the worst part was getting the I.V. put in.

vCash
    Thanks for the tips, folks.

None of my teeth are impacted, they're more annoying than painful but as I have the money, health insurance and sick leave to get them sorted out I figured I would!

vCash
    Stretch your jaws several times a day for a day or two in advance, to "limber up" for the surgery. Massage helps tremendously with the jaw ache afterward. Eating ice pops helps ease pain and keep the swelling down.

vCash
    Just do everything you can to avoid getting the dry sockets....I had mine out when I was 16 under general anesthetic in the hospital....threw up so much from that I ended up with 2 dry sockets on the bottom. Could barely open my jaw for a week and the smell of cloves (20 years later!) still turns my stomach. Don't want to scare you though, I had a rough time with it, but know plenty of others who were good as new 1-2 days later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Stretch your jaws several times a day for a day or two in advance, to "limber up" for the surgery. Massage helps tremendously with the jaw ache afterward. Eating ice pops helps ease pain and keep the swelling down.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, wish I'd read this post first.

Am mostly eating by licking off a spoon at the moment. Tried to have a look in the bathroom mirror and can't open my mouth wide enough. Jaw is aching, the left side is worst, which is weird because it was the right side I had two teeth out on.

The icing seems to be going well, no football face so far.

Today's food: Chocolate/Banana Custard Baby Food and a bit of chocolate ice-cream to get the painkiller into me before bed. So sleepy. It's not as painful as I thought it would be.

vCash
    You should wake up tomorrow with the ache gone or subsiding. Do you have stitches?

vCash
    Good morning!

Today everything is much better. My right side barely twinges, although there's still a dull uncomfortable ache in my left side (I did have stitches on that side!). It's not awful pain, but it is annoying. I'm also rid of that horrid fuzzy feeling and actually feel awake and alive and like I can do things today!

Still can't open mouth wide enough to have a look. Going to do warm salt water swills today but I will leave going out and about for tomorrow. The dentist wrote me off work the entire week so I don't have to worry about that.

Side note: blowing my nose is painful. Owie.

vCash
    Glad you're doing better.

vCash
    Don't swish vigorously...that could dislodge the blood clots and that would be a BIG no-no. Just treat your extraction sites like they have this clot stuff sitting on them that isn't attached and could come off at the slightest touch...it's not THAT touchy, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also with food, go with soft foods longer than you think you need to. It's harder than you think; I was STARVING for a real meal the evening I got my teeth out, but I couldn't risk it. It didn't help that I had very minimal swelling and pain, so I looked and felt fairly normal but I had four unsutured extraction sites that were all very vulnerable. I know for a fact that I did dislodge a bit of one of my clots the day of the extraction because I swished water too early and I attribute the stabbing pain I had in one side of my jaw to that. It wasn't TOO bad; on a scale of 1-10 I'd rate it about a 6, but I can't imagine what it would have felt like if I'd dislodged the entire thing.

vCash
    In addition to not swishing...do NOT drink through a straw. It's not only painful, it can also dislodge the clots.

I'm glad you're not in much pain! I couldn't talk, eat or sleep for a week. Swelling was minimal but my lower teeth were so impacted they had to drill away at the jaw bone
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I had all four taken out with general anesthesia, followed post-up directions (detailed above) to the T, took my pain meds and it all healed in no time. The worst part was the baby food.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Spareoom, I know what you mean; mum had a toasted sandwich for lunch today and all I wanted then was a toasted sandwich. But I had to settle for ice cream. Which doesn't fill the belly.

I tried a bit of well-cooked fettucine tonight for dinner, but it was too difficult, especially given the lack of opening of my mouth. So I had soup instead. But I really wanted the yummy bolognaise my sister was making.

I have yoghurt now too, so proper breakfast food (well sort of), some more soup, and tomorrow night I think I will make my super-smooth mash potato. Because if I don't have something substantial soon I think I will die. *dramatik*

EDIT: But I won't object to the ice-cream. Oh my lord. Nestle Peter's Smooth and Creamy Classic Chocolate if you can get it. omygodomygodomygod.
    Last edited by misskarne; 11-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12