Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under The Dome

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Under The Dome

I've been really enjoying this show and it seems to get a decent amount of posts in the TV thread, so I figured it deserves its' own thread. Tonight's episode is entitled, "Imperfect Circles" and here's a short note from Wikipedia about tonight's plot:

Spoiler

I also found a great sneak peak scene at youtube (that is great!...did I mention that? ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LqR6aPg5Y

And the promo scene at the end of last week's episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG1ansGjpQo

For those of you who maybe haven't tuned in yet, here's a list of the episode guides that'll help you catch up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Dome_episodes

That list includes the ratings. While they decreased (as is normal for a new show) in the first three weeks, the fifth and sixth episodes got higher ratings than the third and fourth episodes. So not only does this show have staying power, but it's probably a water cooler kind of show with the ratings increasing due to good word of mouth.

And a series synopsis for the newbies:

Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable (but semipermeable) barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.
    And lastly, some articles of interest:

How Under the Dome has ‘changed the face of summer television’

This article has a mention of the ratings:

He means that, officially, Under the Dome opened with 13.7 million viewers in the United States. But, when DVR, video on demand and streaming are counted in, that number increased to just over 20 million viewers. And advertisers pay more to reach 20 million people.
    Under the Dome renewed for Season 2

“It is official and Stephen King will be writing the first episode of that 13-episode arc,” CBS’s president and CEO, Les Moonves, told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour in California last week.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I've been watching, it's pretty good!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So Barbie and Julie wake up in bed together. Barbie recently killed Julia's husband. And Julia's beloved husband is only recently out of her life. Don't get the motivations for either of these characters... Do we know the exact connection between Barbie and Phil (the black DJ)? I was wondering if it was possible that Phil or someone else killed Peter (Julia's husband) but Wikipedia says that Barbie did it. Or maybe we just think he did? That he is covering for someone else? I'd prefer the hero of the show was not a murderer...and a murderer who sleeps the wife of the man he killed, to boot!

I thought that Big Jim made for a good villain...and now we have Ollie! Man, that guy who plays him is a great actor, because I HATE Ollie! Interesting that in this episode, not only is Ollie's henchman offed, but Linda and James/Junior get rid of the two thieving rapists. Now we're left with a showdown between Big Jim and Ollie...

Did anyone think Alice's eyes were going to open when Norrie was pleading with the dome? "Tell me what you want...I'll do anything!" I thought Alice would then open her eyes...and Norrie would somehow be indebted to the dome... Not sure why Alice and Norrie thought the dome had power over what was happening. Yes, the dome projected an image of Alice to Norrie, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the dome itself controls everything.

vCash
    The book was so much better. That show is annoying at best. Good idea, poor actors, poor stories. A huge mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So Barbie and Julie wake up in bed together. Barbie recently killed Julia's husband. And Julia's beloved husband is only recently out of her life. Don't get the motivations for either of these characters... Do we know the exact connection between Barbie and Phil (the black DJ)? I was wondering if it was possible that Phil or someone else killed Peter (Julia's husband) but Wikipedia says that Barbie did it. Or maybe we just think he did? That he is covering for someone else? I'd prefer the hero of the show was not a murderer...and a murderer who sleeps the wife of the man he killed, to boot!
    In a prior flashback, they showed Barbie and the husband fighting over the gun, and the gun going off, killing the husband. So, the killing was apparently accidental; Barbie had just gone to collect on the debt and things turned south.

Did anyone think Alice's eyes were going to open when Norrie was pleading with the dome? "Tell me what you want...I'll do anything!" I thought Alice would then open her eyes...and Norrie would somehow be indebted to the dome... Not sure why Alice and Norrie thought the dome had power over what was happening. Yes, the dome projected an image of Alice to Norrie, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the dome itself controls everything.
    I totally did!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I've been watching, it's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    The book was so much better. That show is annoying at best. Good idea, poor actors, poor stories. A huge mess.

I never read the book, but might after having this mini-series catch my attention. But "annoying at best"? HARSH!!! I think the actors are quite good. If I were to fault anything, it'd be the two-dimensionally written characters. But that's kind of Stephen King, he focusses on a great story to the detriment of fully fleshed-out characters. But that's fine as long as you accept that going into it. I don't see it as a mess at all...unless you mean how everything has quickly gone into anarchy. But now that some (most?) of the bad guys are gone, hopefully things will settle down. All in all, it's a fun summer ride.

vCash
    I will just go out with ONE example.

The prisonner girl ? In the book, she's not all that alive at all. And what's great is the fact that junior goes to her to talk to a corpse.
    In the show ? annoying and stupid story instead. Nearly everything in the show is sub par. And I maintain the actors are really weak.

vCash
    I never read the book, but might after having this mini-series catch my attention. But "annoying at best"? HARSH!!! I think the actors are quite good. If I were to fault anything, it'd be the two-dimensionally written characters. But that's kind of Stephen King, he focusses on a great story to the detriment of fully fleshed-out characters. But that's fine as long as you accept that going into it. I don't see it as a mess at all...unless you mean how everything has quickly gone into anarchy. But now that some (most?) of the bad guys are gone, hopefully things will settle down. All in all, it's a fun summer ride.
    I have not read any recent books by King. I read them all until Christine or Pet Cemetery (whichever was last). After that they all started reading the same. However, I always thought he developed his characters well. Especially Johnny Smith, in The Dead Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    I will just go out with ONE example.

The prisonner girl ? In the book, she's not all that alive at all. And what's great is the fact that junior goes to her to talk to a corpse.
    In the show ? annoying and stupid story instead. Nearly everything in the show is sub par. And I maintain the actors are really weak.
    With the exception of the original movie version of Carrie (why are they remaking it?), and The Dead Zone (because Christopher Walken was that good!), I don't think any Stephen King book has translated well to the screen. The Stand was my favorite book, it was so badly done for the screen. It was all over the place. There were too many overlapping plot lines in the book to make the movie viable in 6 hours. The Shining, even with stellar performances from Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duval, was so changed that it made me crazy!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    The Shining was a HORRIBLE adaptation. They changed so many things many of them for no reason.

My husband is watching this so I find myself watching it too. I find the acting uneven.

It's not really my kind of show though. I'm not into this kind of story. So I don't think I'm a fair judge of that. It's good enough that I pay enough attention to have a vague idea of what's going on and I can't say that about everything that's on when I'm in the room but not really into so there has to be something they are doing right. Plus now that they've revealed what made the dome, it's gotten more interesting to me.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I stopped watching. What did they say made the dome? I'm just curious if it changed from the book, because that was definitely the weakest part of the book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I stopped watching. What did they say made the dome? I'm just curious if it changed from the book, because that was definitely the weakest part of the book.
    Nothing definitive yet...just a little dark sparkly egg-thing under a mini-dome...a sort of Russian nesting doll dome concept.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    and now that there's a S2 in the works, I'm guessing we won't find out this summer.

which means there is less reason to keep watching
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    and now that there's a S2 in the works, I'm guessing we won't find out this summer.

which means there is less reason to keep watching
    I'll probably watch it through the summer, but am not sure I'm up for a second season either...I'm already kind of losing interest.

vCash
    duplicate...drat!

Might as well use this space...love his last line (which I quote):

http://tvline.com/2013/08/05/under-t...dome-revealed/

AUGUST 5, 2013 08:34 PM PDT
    Under the Dome Recap: Dome and Domer
    by Matt Webb Mitovich

* Remind me, how are we getting two seasons out of this…?
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.

vCash
    Everyone is wondering HOW ON EARTH a bad show like that can have been renewed when good shows never had the chance.
    Bad show, the acting is getting worse, I think I cannot continue wasting time to watch this !

vCash
    If they want to turn a Stephen King novel into a two year series, then they should do the The Stand. Because as cruisin rightly pointed out, that book could in no way be done well in six hours.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think what ratings they ARE getting are from people thinking they want to see how it turns out and it's not a big investment of time since it will be over soon. Now that it's going to be two seasons, I bet a lot of people pull out.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Episode eight tonight, entitled "Thicker Than Water". Brief overview at Wikipedia:

Spoiler

Quote from TV Guide about Big Jim:

Spoiler

Promo from end of last week's episode

Extended sneak peak scene between Joe and Julia

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Who was the girl at the end of the episode that they (oh so slyly) showed had a "monarch" butterfly on her shoulder?
    Was it Angie? I couldn't make it who it was (stoopid dark TV screen).

vCash
    Yeah, it was Angie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast