vCash

Icenetwork Article: Trio predicts return to prominence for Russian team

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...r-russian-team

The article is interesting; however, there is one paragraph:

"In 2006, Russia claimed three gold medals and a bronze. (Slutskaya says now that she was told before she skated in Torino that "I had no chance [to win gold]. There was no way, even if I skated perfectly, that they would let Russia win all four gold medals. I could do everything I could, but there was no way we could sweep." As it turned out, Slutskaya did make mistakes in her program and ended up with the bronze.)"

Has this been talked about? Was there any actual chatter or is this purely speculation and/or Irina's words only? Anyone know?

vCash
    She claimed that at the time but... it's kind of a moot point. The reason she didn't win gold had more to do with her skating then the performance of the other Russians!

I always find it a little hard to believe when the "reason" I didn't win comes out after the event and "it's not my fault"

vCash
    Slutskaya did more triples than Cohen! Thats what was talked about when sports illustrated made fun of her silver with her two falls. Then and even still now it must be noted slutskaya one double was worse than cohens two falls but no doubling.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 11-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...r-russian-team

The article is interesting; however, there is one paragraph:

"In 2006, Russia claimed three gold medals and a bronze. (Slutskaya says now that she was told before she skated in Torino that "I had no chance [to win gold]. There was no way, even if I skated perfectly, that they would let Russia win all four gold medals. I could do everything I could, but there was no way we could sweep." As it turned out, Slutskaya did make mistakes in her program and ended up with the bronze.)"

Has this been talked about? Was there any actual chatter or is this purely speculation and/or Irina's words only? Anyone know?
    Going into Torino, I thought Irina had a one-fall advantage on her competitors but when she skated cleanly in the short and didn't have her usual nice lead and was in an essential three-way tie with Cohen and Arakawa, it was clear she'd have to work hard for it. I do think she still could have won gold if she'd gone clean, given what the other medalists produced.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone told her that she wouldn't win no matter what, though. There's a lot of over-the-top gossiping about politics at competitions and it only intensifies at the Olympics. So I can believe she heard that somewhere but it doesn't mean it was true.