Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
    Yeah, but CTV actually didn't show _all_ the skaters at SC. If I recall correctly, they only showed the final flight of the Men's Free and spent the entire previous hour showing recaps and fluff pieces.

Ok. I'll admit I'm spoiled with what we had with the coverage on Bold. But those days are gone.
    I agree

And was totally at CTV for its waste of broadcast time. It was obviously hoping to generate interest among casual fans, not serve the interests of serious fans.

I've always believed that commentators are like Scotch. They can be an acquired taste.

Funny thing is, when you see it live or watch a raw feed, you can't help but feel that something is missing.
    ITA. I enjoy commentary, providing the commentators are good and don't talk too much. If I see a competition live, I always watch the TV coverage after.

I just can't get into live stream.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I just really wish that cbc.ca would offer live stream and archive it, as they did when BOLD was covering FS. They know we can't get the stream Americans get, but don't seem to care about offering us a similar option. This bothers me much more than the decline in ratings for FS.

I can pretty much never watch live stream due to time issues. So I'm stuck with the vids that are posted and CBCs generally scant coverage.
    Coverage is pretty horrible considering it cost next to nothing to post coverage of the event online after the fact. Skate Canada could also negotiate something in order to stream it on their website but they have proven themselves to be incompetent. Another example of their incompetency is the promotion of the Skate Canada event in Windsor last year. So many figure skating fans did not even know it was happening in their own backyard.

The so called marketing background of many of the top SC officials has proven to be a non-factor. There have been and continue to be so many lost opportunities for exposure that they just do not seem interested in pursuing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaud View Post
    Coverage is pretty horrible considering it cost next to nothing to post coverage of the event online after the fact. Skate Canada could also negotiate something in order to stream it on their website but they have proven themselves to be incompetent. Another example of their incompetency is the promotion of the Skate Canada event in Windsor last year. So many figure skating fans did not even know it was happening in their own backyard.

The so called marketing background of many of the top SC officials has proven to be a non-factor. There have been and continue to be so many lost opportunities for exposure that they just do not seem interested in pursuing
    While I completely agree with your assessment of the SC officials, I'm pretty sure I recall that all ISU events other than Skate Canada International are a deal between the ISU and CBC, not SC. So I would guess they really can't negotiate with CBC. Havings said that, you could certainly make the same conclusion about the ISU officials as well as SC....

vCash
    ITA that Canadian online coverage sucks atm. Didn't they use to livestream on Skatebuzz?

I hope CBC doesn't drop the ball there with Sochi. And that also goes for mobile support, especially on Android where there's not even a video player app for their regular shows.

vCash
    They used to. I think the internet streaming thing is in a flux right now because they haven't kept up with improving the technology. The big 3 are not playing nice with the CRTC.

Is hnic gaining new fans? or is it just the same numbers? We have so many sports now and they all want tv coverage and there is only so much prime time to go around.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    They used to. I think the internet streaming thing is in a flux right now because they haven't kept up with improving the technology. The big 3 are not playing nice with the CRTC.

Is hnic gaining new fans? or is it just the same numbers? We have so many sports now and they all want tv coverage and there is only so much prime time to go around.
    Based on the news article from 1999 and the recent numbers, HNIC is up since then. It looks fairly stable now. I am not a hockey fan but the numbers are strong so the other sports don't seem to have taken a bite out of their numbers.

vCash
    Some more contextual information about the ratings.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...232432659.html

Another interesting number is the 337,000 who watched figure skating on CBC, a pretty good Saturday afternoon audience for that sport. The star attraction there was Canada's Patrick Chan, who is a big player in reviving interest in a sport that fell from grace after a series of judging scandals.
    How it ranks with other sports:

Here are the most-watched sports events for the past weekend, according to BBM Canada overnight ratings:
    1. CFL, Grey Cup, Ticats vs. Riders, Sunday, TSN: 4,495,000
    2. NHL, Caps-Leafs/Penguins-Habs/Sens-Wings, Saturday, CBC: 2,321,000
    3. NHL, Hawks at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 1,123,000
    4. NFL, 1 p.m. games, Sunday, CTV: 643,000
    5. CFL, Grey Cup pre-game show, Sunday, TSN: 487,000
    6. NFL, Saints at Falcons, Thursday, Sportsnet: 383,000
    7. NHL, Blue Jackets at Canucks, Friday, Sportsnet Pacific: 363,000
    8. NFL, Broncos at Patriots, Sunday, TSN2: 353,000 (NBC audience not calculated)
    9. Figure skating, ISU Grand Prix men's, Saturday, CBC: 337,000
    10. NFL, Cowboys at Giants, Sunday, Citytv: 326,000
    11. Football, Vanier Cup, Calgary vs. Laval, Saturday, Sportsnet 360: 301,000
    12. Figure skating, ISU Grand Prix women's, Saturday, CBC: 237,000
    13. Auto racing, Formula 1 Brazilian Grand Prix, TSN: 198,000
    So, besides not being as popular as football and hockey, how is figure skating suffering?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Those poor Giants and Cowboys must be hanging their heads in shame.

Had to search for where the Blue Jackets played, though
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Those are really good numbers for a sport like figure skating that doesn't have a regular time period for people to watch and considering it wasn't a major event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Some more contextual information about the ratings.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...232432659.html

How it ranks with other sports:

So, besides not being as popular as football and hockey, how is figure skating suffering?
    The reporter actually has his facts incorrect. Patrick Chan wasn't even competing at Rostelecom Cup over the weekend, so 337,000 is rather respectable. Also, the audience preference for men's singles vs. ladies/pairs (237,000) is a rather wide margin.

The week prior, the rating for Trophee Eric Bompard (which Patrick won) was

9. Figure skating, ISU Grand Prix, Saturday, CBC: 391,000

vCash
    Streaming for the Nationals is available for $20 on SC. I imagine they don't stream the final flights which will be on TV. I found CTV's coverage better because the less popular events and all or close to all the skaters were shown on TSN or TSN 2.

CBC seems to be hooking up with Sportsnet for the Olys.

vCash
    Obviously figure skating isn't as popular as it once was.... we've known this for like 10 years. it's not something to suddenly get in a panic over.

I think these numbers are promising. Remember it wasn't that long ago that figure skating broadcasts were always on CBC at midnight. At 2008 Worlds we almost didn't get ANY coverage until Skate Canada pulled it together with CBC at the very last minute. Compare that 5 years later with 2013 Worlds when we had primetime coverage for the entire week (and a 1 hour preview show in which they showed nothing but practice sessions....lol)! Of course the ratings aren't what they used to be, but I can already see that we're starting to rebuild. Figure skating has so much potential to be mega-popular and I'm hopeful that things will continue to improve in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    It suffering because that number is ok but nothing special. Likely ok for CBC when taking a feed from another country. But it doesn't take a genius to realize that when its a domestic event, the costs have to be way higher as the TV company is producing the feed. Advertising has to pay for that so if you don't have good numbers, it doesn't work. And that is where viewer numbers and demographics are very important. Where it ranks against other sports is not very relevant at all. To think otherwise is delusional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skating678 View Post
    Obviously figure skating isn't as popular as it once was.... we've known this for like 10 years. it's not something to suddenly get in a panic over.

I think these numbers are promising. Remember it wasn't that long ago that figure skating broadcasts were always on CBC at midnight. At 2008 Worlds we almost didn't get ANY coverage until Skate Canada pulled it together with CBC at the very last minute. Compare that 5 years later with 2013 Worlds when we had primetime coverage for the entire week (and a 1 hour preview show in which they showed nothing but practice sessions....lol)! Of course the ratings aren't what they used to be, but I can already see that we're starting to rebuild. Figure skating has so much potential to be mega-popular and I'm hopeful that things will continue to improve in the future.
    Agree that the coverage is WAY better. But if the numbers don't improve, it won't continue. Encourage every one you know to tune in to the Canadian Championships.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123