Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

TV - More Cause for Concern

Lest we think that figure skating is recovering in Canada, here is a harsh dose of reality. Here are the TV ratings for Skate Canada International. This is in an Olympic year with three Canadian world medalists competing!

Fri Oct 25: Skate Canada — 228,000 TSN
    Sat Oct 26: Skate Canada — 666,000 CTV

The break down of those numbers aren't easily accessed publicly but no matter how you cut it these are bad numbers. Especially when you consider they likely skew older. The disconnect to the casual fan is really bad. And TV numbers matter for visibility and sponsorship, and for that matter, staying on TV. One can only imagine where these numbers will be next year, especially if high profile skaters (a bit of an oxymoron apparently) retire.

The inaction of the federations and ISU is killing this sport.

vCash
    I'm assuming you got the numbers from the following site:

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...-have-ratings/

If you look at the ratings of other sports, figure skating is really not doing that poorly. It's doing better than a lot of sports, like curling, NBA (ha!), soccer, etc. CTV's ratings were on par with several regular ol' CFL games. Not bad.

Also, figure skating attracts different demographic--i.e., women, a demographic that may not otherwise watch TSN, TSN2, RDS, or RDS2. For those networks' long-term growth, that may be why they want to have figure skating.

vCash
    You can't compare to TSN figures, only to CTV. For an evening on CTV, that's not good. Comparing to sports or other time slots is not that relevant either. Its to what else could be on. I would imagine that in prime time, anything under 1,000,000 is weak.

I don't really buy the female demographic argument because I bet its also older (like me). Its what sells advertising and older demographics don't.

vCash
    You can't compare to TSN figures, only to CTV. For an evening on CTV, that's not good.
    You can certainly compare how FS does on TSN with how other sports do on TSN or Sporsnet. And FS does not come off particularly poorly. You can compare how FS airs on CTV or CBC with how other sports do on CTV or CBC. And again, FS does not come off particularly poorly.

I have no clue what CTV normally airs on Saturday evenings--I'm assuming reruns of other shows like the main US networks. How do they do ratings-wise? I'm sure constant reruns of Big Bang Theory does very well for CTV, but a rerun of BBT does better than most shows on TV, anyways. Not something figure skating should be worried about.

vCash
    On Saturday evenings CTV normally airs W5 (investigative reporting) and American drama series (Castle, whatnot, I don't know - I don't watch this kind of television). CTV shows BBT reruns every weekday night - that I do watch.

I watched Skate Canada on CTV this year and let me tell you, it was a whole-day affair. IIRC it was on from 2pm (possibly earlier) to 6pm, then 7-10pm. I wonder how many viewers only partially tuned in.

vCash
    Hmm... interesting! I call myself a fan, and used to be crazy about catching each and every competition, grand prix event on cable and recording everything and rewatching them over and over again. Nowadays, I barely have time to even watch the grand prix, I'll youtube a few notable skaters that I want to see, and that is pretty much it until Worlds or Olympics! :S

vCash
    Or you could look at it as 1.9% of the population tuning in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    Or you could look at it as 1.9% of the population tuning in
    Or you could say comparing main network to main network it got crushed by Hockey Night in Canada. The bottom line is there is lots of press about how it used to draw over a million consistently on the CTV network and could compete with HNIC but it is in a steady decline. This is simply fact and not one that is a good one. So take issue with me if you want but if something isn't done to stop the decline, a huge issue is coming. And soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mont View Post
    Or you could say comparing main network to main network it got crushed by Hockey Night in Canada. The bottom line is there is lots of press about how it used to draw over a million consistently on the CTV network and could compete with HNIC but it is in a steady decline. This is simply fact and not one that is a good one. So take issue with me if you want but if something isn't done to stop the decline, a huge issue is coming. And soon.
    Do you have the source for FS rivaling HNIC?

vCash
    It was a broadcast of a Grand Prix event, not a broadcast of a national or world championship or the Olympics. (And a poorly promoted broadcast at that.) I would be very surprised if ANY Skate Canada broadcast ever had ratings comparable to Hockey Night in Canada.

I don't deny that figure skating broadcasts are drawing in fewer viewers, and that's a problem, but I don't think these numbers demonstrate the problem.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Obsessed fans are watching live on line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    Obsessed fans are watching live on line.
    I wonder: does watching CBC coverage of a sporting event (streaming live or watching later on their website) count toward their total audience numbers?

vCash
    Whenever I've seen ratings that include broadcast and Internet viewing, the two kinds are always presented separately. And I don't know if Internet views can be given the same sort of estimates for audience demographics that broadcast views are given (e.g. X percent of the audience in a certain age group, or Y percent of the audience having a certain household income).
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    These ratings don't sound troublesome at all for a GP event. This isn't Worlds. And it's beating out a ton of different sports. Not to mention that the internet has made watching skating on TV fairly obsolete to many fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    These ratings don't sound troublesome at all for a GP event. This isn't Worlds. And it's beating out a ton of different sports. Not to mention that the internet has made watching skating on TV fairly obsolete to many fans.
    Completely disagree. First, HNIC was close to 2,000,000 on CBC. Second, maybe beating other sports in gross numbers but in terms of age brackets of interest to advertisers, I really doubt it. And I couldn't find all of the ratings for worlds but the one's I could find weren't any better. Lastly, I don't believe internet viewings are that high and there have been studies that on good properties, it does not take a bite out of TV ratings. There numbers are not good news.

vCash
    Is anybody actually surprised that figure skating audiences are nowhere as big as HNIC? Seriously. It's not a fair comparison by any means. And I would still like to see evidence to your earlier contention that FS at one point did rival HNIC.

vCash
    I cannot believe that anything rivals HNIC - or that anything ever did. I have often felt that I am in only Canadian who has no interest in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    I cannot believe that anything rivals HNIC - or that anything ever did. I have often felt that I am in only Canadian who has no interest in it.
    Make that two!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mont View Post
    Lastly, I don't believe internet viewings are that high and there have been studies that on good properties, it does not take a bite out of TV ratings.
    Sources, please.

vCash
    From 1999 news article. Senior executive at CTV:

http://www.canoe.ca/SlamSkatingArchi...24_sktott.html

Please note the sentence about winning the battle with HNIC. Also 1.5 million on average for the Canadian Championships. And this was post the high water mark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast